Any ideas for a whole home CO2 scrubber?

face

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I always notice that when I leave for 2-3days and come back my corals look 10x better with extension and general health. I live in a very well sealed condo because the climate is extremely hot so no fresh air can ever get in and I work from home and stay home a good bit. What is the best way to really scrub CO2? maybe some sort of industrial setup? Anyone else deal with this issue?

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always notice that when I leave for 2-3days and come back my corals look 10x better with extension and general health. I live in a very well sealed condo because the climate is extremely hot so no fresh air can ever get in and I work from home and stay home a good bit. What is the best way to really scrub CO2? maybe some sort of industrial setup? Anyone else deal with this issue?
Probably need to contact ventilation experts and explain what you’re looking for. I’m sure it varies a lot depending on layout, square footage, outdoor air quality, etc.

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm not aware of any products that are add-ons for your HVAC system that is specifically for CO2 scrubbing. Most things like your April air and your Honeywell filtration systems are focusing on whole house filtration. Small micron filters,ozone, UV scrubbers. For the elimination of allergens, mold, VOCs and air pollutants.

We started selling a lot of April air filters right around 2020. I have no idea why ?

There's a lot of quackery out there in the whole home air filtration business. Specifically these things that say they are ion generators.

Generally, if people are concerned about high CO2, we will often run a second small return (the ductwork that brings air back to the furnace) that will allow outside air in. Mind you, I live in California and I'm not sure how well that would go over in the say, Minnesota!

When I go into work tomorrow I will call my rep at Ferguson and see if he knows of any products that exist for whole house CO2 scrubbing that would be add ons.

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before spending money chasing CO2 and pH, I would look at the placebo effect of a human mind doing trick on you, unless you have scientific data measuring PE and “general health”. Btw: try taking a week vacation, your corals would grow exponentially - lol

OP
OP
face

face

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I'm not aware of any products that are add-ons for your HVAC system that is specifically for CO2 scrubbing. Most things like your April air and your Honeywell filtration systems are focusing on whole house filtration. Small micron filters,ozone, UV scrubbers. For the elimination of allergens, mold, VOCs and air pollutants.

We started selling a lot of April air filters right around 2020. I have no idea why ?

There's a lot of quackery out there in the whole home air filtration business. Specifically these things that say they are ion generators.

Generally, if people are concerned about high CO2, we will often run a second small return (the ductwork that brings air back to the furnace) that will allow outside air in. Mind you, I live in California and I'm not sure how well that would go over in the say, Minnesota!

When I go into work tomorrow I will call my rep at Ferguson and see if he knows of any products that exist for whole house CO2 scrubbing that would be add ons.
Thank you!! I considered just ventilating but i'm sure it would really run my power bill up. Seems there really just isnt an solution to this problem and I bet a lot of people are dealing with high CO2 without knowing it.

OP
OP
face

face

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Before spending money chasing CO2 and pH, I would look at the placebo effect of a human mind doing trick on you, unless you have scientific data measuring PE and “general health”. Btw: try taking a week vacation, your corals would grow exponentially - lol
I am talking about extreme differences. My anemone doesnt even expand at all hardly just stays in the rock. Then when I leave for a few days, its out taking up half the tank. same goes for all my other corals mushrooms zoas leathers everything. Its not that they are growing, they are just opening up to their full potential.

OP
OP
face

face

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I think you're looking for a Home Energy Recovery Ventilation system. Bring in outside air (low CO2), then cool/heat the new air with inside air as it's exchanged.
Yes I agree that would work but the problem is my electric bill is already off the charts with a large aquarium and regular 110 degree heat hvac unit already runs almost 24/7 and the humidity is super high like 80%.

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am talking about extreme differences. My anemone doesnt even expand at all hardly just stays in the rock. Then when I leave for a few days, its out taking up half the tank. same goes for all my other corals mushrooms zoas leathers everything. Its not that they are growing, they are just opening up to their full potential.
What is your pH look like before & after? If you’re talking about pH — mine is below using CO2 scrubber.

Attachments

• IMG_6028.png
    IMG_6028.png
    121.8 KB · Views: 95

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I agree with above. ERV for your climate I believe is what you need. You can tap in to your existing return and supply air. I purchased a HRV for my colder climate and will install this winter. The fans look like a low draw item,so it shouldn’t be bad on your electric bill.

I use a CO2 scrubber and it works great, but I’m buying new media every other month. ERV is good for your tank and most importantly for you and your family’s health.

OP
OP
face

face

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I agree with above. ERV for your climate I believe is what you need. You can tap in to your existing return and supply air. I purchased a HRV for my colder climate and will install this winter. The fans look like a low draw item,so it shouldn’t be bad on your electric bill.

I use a CO2 scrubber and it works great, but I’m buying new media every other month. ERV is good for your tank and most importantly for you and your family’s health.
I’m not sure it would be possible with my situation unfortunately. I’m an interior unit with ducting that has no access to exterior. there is no space between me an any neighbors. My compressor unit is on the rooftop several floors up. I could just do air exchange with a fan/window I’m sure but my system already struggles with the aquarium heat evaporation, extreme heat and humidity.

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Agree on human & animal health benefit of fresh air. I’m in a temperate climate so can open the windows/doors almost year round. That said, to peg pH, I resort to CO2 scrubbing. Btw: have you thought about doing recirculating? That will extend your media’s life by 3-4x.

OP
OP
face

face

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
What is your pH look like before & after? If you’re talking about pH — mine is below using CO2 scrubber.
I think I’m going to try this again I’ve done it before with decent results.

OP
OP
face

face

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Get some indoor plants, natural and cheapest CO2 scrubber
I actually looked into this years ago and it seemed you would need about 20 mature trees to absorb the CO2 from one human lol. House plants I assume would have zero effect on CO2 levels considering that.

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’m going to try this again I’ve done it before with decent results.
Good luck. I’ve tried sucking in outside air via the skimmer but the highest pH was only 8.1. I’m running a CaRx so I know the feeling. Not sure about how you keep up your big 3 (Alk, CA, Mg) but Kalk may help — it has the pH of 12.4

Having said all this — be nice to see pH trend over time. Otherwise, we can’t really attribute it to you being home/not as a factor.

OP
OP
face

face

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Good luck. I’ve tried sucking in outside air via the skimmer but the highest pH was only 8.1. I’m running a CaRx so I know the feeling. Not sure about how you keep up your big 3 (Alk, CA, Mg) but Kalk may help — it has the pH of 12.4

Having said all this — be nice to see pH trend over time. Otherwise, we can’t really attribute it to you being home/not as a factor.
Yes now that I think about that is actually what I did as well with mediocre results. Ok scrubber it is. Though I really want to address this air quality issue I think it’s effecting my general health. pH is 8.3 right now and I’ve been back for 2 hours. I will test again in a few days once the CO2 is accumulated.

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes now that I think about that is actually what I did as well with mediocre results. Ok scrubber it is. Though I really want to address this air quality issue I think it’s effecting my general health.
If you decide to go this route, buy in bulk at

Coupled with a recirculating CO2 method, this should last you a long time, depending on tank size.

OP
OP
face

face

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
If you decide to go this route, buy in bulk at

Coupled with a recirculating CO2 method, this should last you a long time, depending on tank size.
Thank you! I certainly will do that!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 163 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%

Back