Any issues with this for my AWC?

  • Thread starter Thread starter BriDroid
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

BriDroid

I glue animals to rocks.
View Badges
Joined
Aug 2, 2024
Messages
1,692
Reaction score
2,294
Location
Prosper, TX
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My AWC has been working flawlessly until yesterday. The rollers on the drain pump stopped just right and I had a siphon that slowly drained the water from my tank. Luckily it was a very slow drip, and my waster water full sensor caught it without draining more than a half gallon.

To try and stop this, I drilled a 1/16” hole where I have the arrow to break any siphon if it happens again.
IMG_2458.jpeg

The only issue that I have now is when the drain runs, it sucks air in with the water. It still pumps water out of the tank, it just takes a bit longer. The longer run time is no big deal since I use a low level to determine when the drain should stop running.

I guess my main question is; is that air/water ok for a peristaltic pump? Below is the cheap peristaltic pumps I’m using.
IMG_2459.jpeg
 
There’s nothing wrong with a peristaltic pump drawing in some air with the water (except reduced volume of water pumped).
 
I have never had a drain pump do that but I pull from the sump which is below the tank up through the attic 35 ft to the drain pump in the garage. It then goes back up through the attic from the pump and then to the kitchen sink drain but does pass through a check valve near the sink drain. The sink drain is above the water level in the sump so it would not back siphon from the drain. The fresh saltwater reservoir is in the garage with the fill pump. The tubing from the pump goes up through the attic and through a check vale and then to the sump but does not output below the water level. All pumps are well above any water level on each end so if the tubing were to fail on the pump it might leak at the pump when it is on but that would be it. There is a leak detector on the floor in the garage but most likely a pump failure would be picked up by my ATO staying on too long or staying off too long. Either would send me an alert.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new