Any luck shipping Chromis?

alex277

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered my first set of fish for my tank, a small school of chromis and a couple clownfish. These came from liveaquaria, the clownfish came looking great and seem to be happy and healthy. The chromis however came in surprisingly bad shape! I've never had bad luck shipping fish, they always seem to come looking fine and I have plenty luck getting them to survive when added. But when these guys showed up a third of them were dead (most looked like they had been dead for some time, colorless and decayed... and they just shipped out yesterday) and about half of the ones that are alive seem to be in not-so-great condition, and frankly I'm not too sure many of these guys are gonna live. Liveaquaria's warranty will refund them, no concern there, but has anyone else had similar experiences getting these guys shipped to them? I can put in another order, maybe that was just a bad batch? Or is this the norm with these guys? I get they aren't the hardiest but I didn't expect anything this bad before they even got to me... I love the fish and would really like to have them

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered my first set of fish for my tank, a small school of chromis and a couple clownfish. These came from liveaquaria, the clownfish came looking great and seem to be happy and healthy. The chromis however came in surprisingly bad shape! I've never had bad luck shipping fish, they always seem to come looking fine and I have plenty luck getting them to survive when added. But when these guys showed up a third of them were dead (most looked like they had been dead for some time, colorless and decayed... and they just shipped out yesterday) and about half of the ones that are alive seem to be in not-so-great condition, and frankly I'm not too sure many of these guys are gonna live. Liveaquaria's warranty will refund them, no concern there, but has anyone else had similar experiences getting these guys shipped to them? I can put in another order, maybe that was just a bad batch? Or is this the norm with these guys? I get they aren't the hardiest but I didn't expect anything this bad before they even got to me... I love the fish and would really like to have them

Were these small green chromis? If so, I've stopped recommending them for people to buy. Even if they are handled well before you get them (i.e., don't arrive dead or in poor shape) there is still a huge issue with intercellular Uronema with these. Things seems to have gotten worse during Covid. One hypothesis is that the shipping times have gotten longer due to air cargo routes changing, and being more limited.

What happens with the LA drop shippers like LA is - the fish arrive from overseas (a very tough journey) and then are repacked and shipped out just a day or two later. Almost all hobbyist shipments go by overnight carrier (slower than air cargo) and that adds to the stress. The end result if a really high mortality rate on small green chromis.

Jay

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 98 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back