Any nero 5 users On red sea?

mooputingtong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
looking to upgrade my jebao cp90 to 2 nero 5s. I feel like jebao is way too strong even with lowest setting and no matter where i put it, it doesnt provide natural back and forth motion. I heard good things about nero 5 but also alot of negative reviews as well. Hows ur experience with nero 5?

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have one nero 5 and a mp 10 on a 45 gallon cube I do like both but for the price Id have to go with the mp10 as it allows you not to put cords in the water and makes cleaning easy. Over all though nero 5 isnt bad the main issue with it is that you can not turn it down from 20% as it is dc powder and wouldn't turn on then so it has to stay at a lightly strong current to keep running but disassembly is easy and the app is nice to do

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking to upgrade my jebao cp90 to 2 nero 5s. I feel like jebao is way too strong even with lowest setting and no matter where i put it, it doesnt provide natural back and forth motion. I heard good things about nero 5 but also alot of negative reviews as well. Hows ur experience with nero 5?

I run two Nero 5s on my 525XL. LOVE THEM. I'm a big AI guy. I ran both on my Reefer 250 as well, just turned em down.

OP
OP
mooputingtong

mooputingtong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I run two Nero 5s on my 525XL. LOVE THEM. I'm a big AI guy. I ran both on my Reefer 250 as well, just turned em down.
Will 2 nero 5 be enough foe red sea 250? Since u have it on 525xl im think it might be too much for 250

Ravsta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure you get the new ones as they come with fish guards. The old ones straight out the boxer fish killers. Check with your LFS that they will come with guards. I recently lost a small tang (RIP Matt) as he got sucked into the back of a Nero 5. They're powerful little suckers. Two N5's might be too much for a 250 unless you wind them down. Also depends on what corals you have.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will 2 nero 5 be enough foe red sea 250? Since u have it on 525xl im think it might be too much for 250

I ran those two on my 250 for a few months and it was fine. Put them about half way up, one on each side, staggered (one closer to the front, the other towards the back). Turn em down a bit and they're fine. I ran them at about 20%-30%, ramping up and down to create some wave action.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mooputingtong

mooputingtong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Its exactly what im looking for. I want back and forth natural gentle motion for my lps and softies. For some reason my jebao cp 90 doesnt do that . its blowing so hard to one direction and even with lowest setting my corals get blasted no matter where i placed them. I will probably

OP
OP
mooputingtong

mooputingtong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just make sure you get the new ones as they come with fish guards. The old ones straight out the boxer fish killers. Check with your LFS that they will come with guards. I recently lost a small tang (RIP Matt) as he got sucked into the back of a Nero 5. They're powerful little suckers. Two N5's might be too much for a 250 unless you wind them down. Also depends on what corals you have.
My LFS said its stock in next week so its probably the new model with stronger magnet and fish guard. i heard alot of bad things with older version killing fish and not sticking to glass right. I do mainly lps softies mabye some easy sps on very tock of the rock.

Toronto78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If the Nero 5 is too strong, can consider the Nero 3, it is 2000Gal/hr and half the size

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are so many programming options. One of the best aspects of it. I have it turn lower at night when the lights go off, then during the day when the lights turn on I turn it up.

Ravsta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine sticks to the glass fine at 13mm thickness but it killed my fish and when I reported it to AI they didn't even apologise for a badly designed wave maker. Don't get me wrong, I love the product but given that they are now including a guard this tells you how wide spread the dead fish issues were. They sent me a link to their sales site where I could purchase a guard for $0.10 cents but $40 shipping to the UK!! I made my own in the end. But they're excellent pumps, almost victims of their own success I would say!!

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the Nero 5 is too strong, can consider the Nero 3, it is 2000Gal/hr and half the size

Meh, personally I would go a little bigger so that if you ever plan on getting a bigger tank you have them. But thats just my opinion.

Ravsta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you run it at 100% in the day? Mine is set to 75% during the day and then 50% during the night.
There are so many programming options. One of the best aspects of it. I have it turn lower at night when the lights go off, then during the day when the lights turn on I turn it up.

OP
OP
mooputingtong

mooputingtong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mine sticks to the glass fine at 13mm thickness but it killed my fish and when I reported it to AI they didn't even apologise for a badly designed wave maker. Don't get me wrong, I love the product but given that they are now including a guard this tells you how wide spread the dead fish issues were. They sent me a link to their sales site where I could purchase a guard for $0.10 cents but $40 shipping to the UK!! I made my own in the end. But they're excellent pumps, almost victims of their own success I would say!!
Qir
Meh, personally I would go a little bigger so that if you ever plan on getting a bigger tank you have them. But thats just my opinion.
[/QUOTE Whats the lowest setting gph for nero 5?

OP
OP
mooputingtong

mooputingtong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Im sorry to hear the lost of the fish. I would be so ticked if something happened to me.

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two nero 5's on a reefer 250 and they are great! Got it with the fish guards and have basically no worry about fish getting sucked in. They are strong pumps, I ran mine at max to start and it was blowing sand like mad. Now at 50%, ramping up and down. Probably will tone it down. Great pumps and quiet.

Ravsta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a clown tang, my wife named him Matt. My Wife has never been into this hobby until she saw Matt at the LFS. I was delighted that finally my wife began to share this joy with me. A few days later, Matt was gone :-( I'll replace him when I find another but I hate it when I lose a fish. It's very rare.

OP
OP
mooputingtong

mooputingtong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have two nero 5's on a reefer 250 and they are great! Got it with the fish guards and have basically no worry about fish getting sucked in. They are strong pumps, I ran mine at max to start and it was blowing sand like mad. Now at 50%, ramping up and down. Probably will tone it down. Great pumps and quiet.
Based on what i hear, i will probably go for 20%-40%. I do mainly lps and softies so i wont need crazy flow.

OP
OP
mooputingtong

mooputingtong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It was a clown tang, my wife named him Matt. My Wife has never been into this hobby until she saw Matt at the LFS. I was delighted that finally my wife began to share this joy with me. A few days later, Matt was gone :-( I'll replace him when I find another but I hate it when I lose a fish. It's very rare.
Its always sad to loose fish. I have lost many fish over the past years and recently lost some gobies. It sad.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 54.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.7%
Back