Any new product announcements at MACNA 2019?

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ecotech is developing their own aquarium controller its called mobius. Its dope they showed it at macna...interface is super cool...

Been hearing rumblings of this. I've been slowly saving up for the move from Neptune to GHL... but I may have to hold off to learn more about this.

Any news on release date? I imagine at least a year or so?

Edit: Sounds like it's limited to Echotech brand devices... not very intriguing if that's the case...

Last edited:

somethinq else

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's different than the salt they've been selling?
That's what I was trying to figure out? I mean I dont use their salt, but they do already have salt on the market, it's nothing new. Dude said its gonna have Casper on the front. I dont see the relevance unless it was a typo. Casper the ghost has no relationship to corals or breeding that I can think of unless he smoked a blow fish or something that we dont know about.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I was trying to figure out? I mean I dont use their salt, but they do already have salt on the market, it's nothing new. Dude said its gonna have Casper on the front. I dont see the relevance unless it was a typo. Casper the ghost has no relationship to corals or breeding that I can think of unless he smoked a blow fish or something that we dont know about.
I think it’s a metaphor.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any news on release date? I imagine at least a year or so?

Edit: Sounds like it's limited to Echotech brand devices... not very intriguing if that's the case...
During the beta phase it will only be open to Ecotech products, but eventually they will integrate relays and probes.

Keep in mind that this will have the capability to control wireless devices that are equipped with wifi, bluetooth etc.

I don't know if you noticed but I have seen a lot of new reef products come equipped with wireless controlability. It wouldn't be far fetched to have all this fall under the umbrella of being monitored and controlled by Mobius.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That water changer reminds me of a product that was around in the 90s called Dialyseas. It was literally a converted kidney dialysis machine that did water changes from a bucket of instant ocean and an RO input.

It was insanely expensive, wasted a ton of water and used salt at an alarming rate.

Hopefully this is purpose built and has the bugs worked out.

I think it is still available from Seavisions. Same place as the Ocean Creator

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There where so many new things on display that you miss things constantly. I had friend post things an I would say that I didn’t see that. When you have vendors showing equipment it can be overwhelming with the amount of stuff on display. Example Ecotech had their new dosing pump on their display tank. It was right there working away. But tons of people didn’t even notice it.
MACNA is the place vendors use to announce new tech As the true Reef nuts show up year after year an we can be tough audience as you see all the new tech each year and know what is going to work and what is a gimmick.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is, these days, most companies want to suck you into their own ecosystem. Its an annoying trend that is already prevalent outside of the aquarium hobby. And its not just media or software anymore, even the hardware is forcing you to stay within the ecosystem. Look at Red Seas new LED lights. Even their mounting is designed to force you to use their proprietary brackets.

I wouldn't expect any new lighting systems, like Kessil or Radion, to be controllable with Apex or GHL. Same goes for future powerhead and dose models. (There is certainly zero chance that a doser would be integrated.) "Playing nice together" is going the way of the dodo.

True. Also, as Neptune and ETM increasingly compete directly, interoperability is less and less likely. ETM have been hinting at an apex competitor for years and how long will it be before Neptune offers lighting.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're calling it the Versa, It is capable of pumping over 100 gallons a day if you wan't and can run nonstop.

Edit:
After reading your post again, I think you were talking about their controller, the Mobius....

Interesting. Would be particularly so if the pump were able to be dynamically controlled.

U

User1

View Badges
True. Also, as Neptune and ETM increasingly compete directly, interoperability is less and less likely. ETM have been hinting at an apex competitor for years and how long will it be before Neptune offers lighting.

It will be easier for Neptune to market lighting than it is ETM to deploy a competent competitor to Apex. Well, at least that is my opinion.

Regardless you are correct about the interchangeability of connectivity. This hobby is a trainwreck much of which is forcing Neptune and GHL's hand in my opinion. The hobbyist are to blame though because we keep buying the products with their silly dongles and other unnecessary crap and not telling them enough is enough. And when they don't listen, don't buy their products.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be easier for Neptune to market lighting than it is ETM to deploy a competent competitor to Apex. Well, at least that is my opinion.

I know absolutely nothing about ETMs mobius controller platform; and my comment about Neptune and lighting was just an example ..... so I have no opinion one way or another. Presumably ETM entering the controller market would be because they have something new or clever to offer. If it’s just a me too product, hard to see why they’d bother ... other than to just attract the Neptune disillusioned that don’t want to buy German.

For me personally, a vectra pump is the only thing I own that won’t synch with my apex, and a $99 reeflink suffices. Hard for me to imagine what mobius would offer that’d incent me to switch. Not that I’m necessarily a huge fan of apex, just that I have a sizable sunk cost.

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we keep buying the products with their silly dongles and other unnecessary crap and not telling them enough

This it what allows Neptune to create products with such poor reliability. And it's further complicated by being such good bedfellows with places like BRS. There is a lot of anti-consumer behavior in this industry (*cough* WWC over photoshoping and over pricing *cough*) but the hobby is just too small and companies know they can get away it.

I wish the phrase "vote with your wallet" actually worked, but I don't see much shifting in the future.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Regardless you are correct about the interchangeability of connectivity. This hobby is a trainwreck much of which is forcing Neptune and GHL's hand in my opinion. The hobbyist are to blame though because we keep buying the products with their silly dongles and other unnecessary crap and not telling them enough is enough. And when they don't listen, don't buy their products.

I couldn't agree more with this.

I have said for years that we need to control the industry, not the industry control us.

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind that this will have the capability to control wireless devices that are equipped with wifi, bluetooth etc

But wouldn't companies, like Kessil for example, still have to allow the ability to interface with their WiFi dongle? I don't think EchoTech would be able to just link to anything WiFi, if that were the case it could control darn near anything. (Which would be awesome but very unlikely)

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But wouldn't companies, like Kessil for example, still have to allow the ability to interface with their WiFi dongle? I don't think EchoTech would be able to just link to anything WiFi, if that were the case it could control darn near anything. (Which would be awesome but very unlikely)

Honestly, if someone had the money and time to invest, anything could be linked to any piece of control equipment. Now, whether or not it would infringe on patents and copyrights doing so....

I think if U.S. based companies want to maintain an edge over the copy cat countries who don't obey these laws, they are going to have to collaborate more and take down some of the ego walls they have built. The end result will be a better product overall and happier aquarists.

jgaepi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This it what allows Neptune to create products with such poor reliability. And it's further complicated by being such good bedfellows with places like BRS. There is a lot of anti-consumer behavior in this industry (*cough* WWC over photoshoping and over pricing *cough*) but the hobby is just too small and companies know they can get away it.

I wish the phrase "vote with your wallet" actually worked, but I don't see much shifting in the future.
Does it really end there? I bought a new MP10 and an AI Prime. Hysterical to get advice from Ecotech. I tried three different reps. All were worthless.
Q) How much flow do you recommend for a 7g?
A) Just play around and see what works.
Q) How much flow is estimated on Lagoon level 1?
A) You’d need to rent a flow meter to find out.
Q) Can you recommend a starting light profile for a 7g using the Prime?
A) Just play around and see what works?
Q) Do you think I should try a PAR meter.
A) That’s up to you.
Q) I wish you guys had more starting profiles/advice for beginners with your equipment.
A) Glad we could help.

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Companies that create proprietary systems doom themselves. Lots of companies fall flat on there face when they do this. Unique mounting systems only eliminate customers.

I don’t like the path Ecotech is going. I don’t see why they think a controller is a good idea. They should be making their products to be as compatible as possible with everything else. The more people that can use it the better. But hey, I don’t run the company.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 35.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back