Any other dads out there that do this?

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cute. My kids have grown up with tanks too. From playing in the water during a water change to tasting it and pulling great faces, to helping mommy with the tank, to now I get "mom, are you working on the tank AGAIN!".

They still love to pick corals and fish and claim them as their own too. In fact yesterday I was doing a large change (hydrovac sand and cleaning overflows) and my 12 year old said, "mom, I will go get the twins from the bus so you can do your tank stuff." At least he gets it. :)

Chris Aldrich

Caribbean Chris @ Saltwater Smarts
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My son loves aquariums and being able to help "feed the fishies" every day! I am also guilty of of making him hang around during maintenance, haha. :D

OP
OP
Ja-reefer

Ja-reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cute. My kids have grown up with tanks too. From playing in the water during a water change to tasting it and pulling great faces, to helping mommy with the tank, to now I get "mom, are you working on the tank AGAIN!".

They still love to pick corals and fish and claim them as their own too. In fact yesterday I was doing a large change (hydrovac sand and cleaning overflows) and my 12 year old said, "mom, I will go get the twins from the bus so you can do your tank stuff." At least he gets it. :)
Hahah! Atleast they are willing to help you out! It's all fun and games until you have to empty the protein skimmer collection cup...

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Myself. Not sure I have been alone in over 15 years.
Any one with kids has the same time issue though. :) Kudos to all of us that make our spare time "reef time".

Cameron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We initially got our tank because my wife wanted to put one in our two year old son's room. I was against it at first, because I knew I would get sucked in. She knows how easily I become completely enveloped in stuff like this, but she kept pushing. Two months later, here we are. The best part is that any time she says anything about me spending too much time or money on the fish tank, all I have to do is remind her that it was her idea and that I was against it.

My son loves the fish tank though, especially when it's time to feed the fish. I also have the lights set on at night for the most part, and it seems to be a pretty efficient night light for him.

OP
OP
Ja-reefer

Ja-reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We initially got our tank because my wife wanted to put one in our two year old son's room. I was against it at first, because I knew I would get sucked in. She knows how easily I become completely enveloped in stuff like this, but she kept pushing. Two months later, here we are. The best part is that any time she says anything about me spending too much time or money on the fish tank, all I have to do is remind her that it was her idea and that I was against it.

My son loves the fish tank though, especially when it's time to feed the fish. I also have the lights set on at night for the most part, and it seems to be a pretty efficient night light for him.

What size Aquarium?
Glad your son enjoys it

Cameron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just a little 20 gallon with a couple of clown fish in it. It's 36x10x12, which gives him a lot of viewing space. We have it set up on his dresser right now. Here's a picture of the tank, but I'm at work and don't have any pictures of the way we have it set up in his room. I'll get one tonight when I get home if I remember.
image.jpg

OP
OP
Ja-reefer

Ja-reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just a little 20 gallon with a couple of clown fish in it. It's 36x10x12, which gives him a lot of viewing space. We have it set up on his dresser right now. Here's a picture of the tank, but I'm at work and don't have any pictures of the way we have it set up in his room. I'll get one tonight when I get home if I remember.
image.jpg [/QUOTE

Beautiful Cameron!
I like seeing other peoples aquariums more than the ones I have..just the diversity in the scapes from tank to tank is unreal..

This is my 5 gallon I just set up next to my sons crib (still cycling)
image.jpg

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 23 32.4%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 22.5%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 11 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.2%
Back