Any PT or exercise instructors here?

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Parkinsonism and got myself one of these. Exercise is supposed to have profound effects on how the disease progresses. I have a few questions like how often and how much to use it.
2021060706154867-4823617333334832213-IMG_3665_HEIC-L.jpg

I have managed to make myself pretty miserable but am sticking with it.

I also have Diastasis Recti and have a few questions about that.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to long distance run and have been through all kinds of exercise regimens over the years as I've got older.

First, make sure any new exercise routine is clear with your doctor.

With this type of machine you need to be a bit carefull. They tend to use curling motions to strengthen end point muscles and dont do a good on core muscles. Legs curls and butterflies are easy when you are 25, but at +50 you can easily injure a tendon or really torque a ligament. Start slowly and use low resistance until you are used to it.

Also remember your back supports all of this, and likely isn't the back of an 18yr old. I strongly suggest doing back bends as part of your routine. Otherwise you strengthen muscles that rely on your back and it becomes your weakest link. A sore quad or bicep in no big deal. A pulled back is a big deal.

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to long distance run and have been through all kinds of exercise regimens over the years as I've got older.

First, make sure any new exercise routine is clear with your doctor.

With this type of machine you need to be a bit carefull. They tend to use curling motions to strengthen end point muscles and dont do a good on core muscles. Legs curls and butterflies are easy when you are 25, but at +50 you can easily injure a tendon or really torque a ligament. Start slowly and use low resistance until you are used to it.

Also remember your back supports all of this, and likely isn't the back of an 18yr old. I strongly suggest doing back bends as part of your routine. Otherwise you strengthen muscles that rely on your back and it becomes your weakest link. A sore quad or bicep in no big deal. A pulled back is a big deal
Young Guy. Lets see how much I can lift.

Old Guy. Lets start at 10 pounds, which is where I am.

But I am not trying to get stronger or slimmer. I am trying to improve my stamina. More reps with less weight is my plan. No I do not need to break anything else.

Cut and paste time from the Parkinsons foundation

Exercise is an important part of healthy living for everyone. For people with Parkinson’s disease (PD), exercise is more than healthy — it is a vital component to maintaining balance, mobility and activities of daily living. Exercise and physical activity can improve many PD symptoms. These benefits are supported by research.

The Parkinson’s Outcomes Project shows that people with PD who start exercising earlier and a minimum of 2.5 hours a week, experience a slowed decline in quality of life compared to those who start later. Establishing early exercise habits is essential to overall disease management.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wife is a PT. Set yourself up with 3 days a week. Each day focus a certain group. Like today is chest/shoulders. Then skip a day and do back and biceps then skip and do legs/core. Each day should have 4 or 5 different work outs. 10 reps of each with 3 or 4 sets of each. Start with low weight and work up in the following weeks. Idea is to get heart rate going.

Last edited:

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want a 4th day do full body. Usually not much weight but high rep and constant movement. Like 10 minutes straight of what ever various workouts you can handle. Like for 10 minutes do 10 push ups, 10 sit ups, 10 burpees, 10 squats and keep doing them over and over for 10 minutes (I can never finish but the wife does)

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty sure I can do zero of any of those. I am kind of pretty far down the tubes already.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not in PT yet and I'm no expert here. I just want to say that I am proud of you. An undertaking like this is a big step and we'll just WOW.
I think the whole project is awesome... Even if Dexter (Louis) may have used the shipping bags to hide bodies.
Good for you. You have everything you need...attitude, equipment, education and dogs to give you congratulatory wet sloppy kisses.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty sure I can do zero of any of those. I am kind of pretty far down the tubes already.
Don't get discouraged before you start. Don't look at it like you need to be using a bunch of weight. Best case is to start low and just focus on the reps. You want to be doing 10 to 12 reps for 3 or 4 sets. This is the sweet spot for building cardio and muscle at the same time. When she first got me to work out with her I almost passed out and threw up. By then end of month 2 I wouldn't even break a sweat unless it was leg day.

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want a 4th day do full body. Usually not much weight but high rep and constant movement. Like 10 minutes straight of what ever various workouts you can handle. Like for 10 minutes do 10 push ups, 10 sit ups, 10 burpees, 10 squats and keep doing them over and over for 10 minutes (I can never finish but the wife does)

Right now I do 2 sets of 20 reps of 8-9 different exercises on the machine sitting and standing.
Someone suggested I do 3-5 reps of 15., I may try that
I do 3 days on and a rest day.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When setting up your days say for chest/shoulders each one should have 4 different ways of doing it. Like regular bench, incline, decline and butterfly. You never want to try and focus on everything all the time. Only work certain parts of the body 1 or 2 days a week and allow rest time to heal.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give me a sec. I actually have the workouts she made for me. I'll try to copy and paste them in here.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here ya go. 3 days worth made by a personal trainer.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210613-004951_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20210613-004951_Messages.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20210613-005000_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20210613-005000_Messages.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20210613-005007_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20210613-005007_Messages.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 2

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks

Grandpa Shark goes to the gym.
Everyone of the things in there can be googled. I know from experience... start with low weight and make sure you finish. No more than a minute or so between to keep the heart rate up.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 25 75.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.0%
Back