Any quick tips before i dip into the acro world???

REEFIN RIOS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi! so when I get back home ill be throwing in some tester corals and after a month or so ill be adding my real corals. which include acros but I would greatly apprecitate any other advice I should know!
my params are stable
cal- 450
alk-9
mag- 1300
nitrate - 0 (undetectable on api)
phosphate 0( undetectable on api)

lighting wise I have a kessil 360 but I'm gonna switch to 2 ai primes hd

flow I have a gyre xf 230

my skimmer is rated for a 135 gallon its the curve a5 bubble magnus

I have a carbon reactor and will be adding in a algae reactor
thats what I have setup! thank you

happy reefing!

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes... don't xDD
J/k Jk. It can be a headache if things don't go smooth, since just like with humans, all the symptons can mean anything!!

Cough, pain, headache, oh ya no problem, u have a fever, flu, infection, oh and pregnant! lol

So Polpy extension, tissue recession, fading can mean 100x different things. Currently going through all that myself & trying to resolve it.

But just like with any other coral, when you see them growing, you get dang excited & remember what drove you to this hobby to begin with

I do also thing you should get something better to measure Alk. I tried API & it was not accurate at all.
Salifert was cool, but sometimes a paint.
Hanna is my love. Super fast, accurate, digital display. Can't ask for more!

It was the easiest way to test how much my tank consumed daily.

OP
OP
REEFIN RIOS

REEFIN RIOS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i check cal alk and mag with red sea! to me they work very well and i had my lfs check my water and they got the same thing as me and i went to 3 different stores and got the same results and i check it every week and alk i try everyday it doesn't get done till the next day! but a hanna checker would be real nice!

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a plan in place for Ca/Alk supplementation once the corals start growing and demand increases?

OP
OP
REEFIN RIOS

REEFIN RIOS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a plan in place for Ca/Alk supplementation once the corals start growing and demand increases?
Yes and no! Yes I've for sure thought about it in the long run! But can't decide between a calcium reactor or dosing pumps! It's a 65 gallon with a 30 gallon sump so total water volume is around 80 gallons and my sump is pretty small so I would have to externally plumb there reactor so for that work I can live with a dosing pump. Idk I still have time to decide but once my first 5 corals go In I'll add something to supplement cuz 5 gal water changes a week won't do much!

Happy reefing!

OP
OP
REEFIN RIOS

REEFIN RIOS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O yes I know I just want to try it once and learn from it! But I love montis the most anyway!

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Keep everything stable, make sure you are using 000 tds water and stick up with your water changes.

Vaughn17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start with cheaper frags, that way, if you make noobie mistakes you won't be contemplating a different hobby.

OP
OP
REEFIN RIOS

REEFIN RIOS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9.o dkh with little to no nutrients spells disaster.
What do you mean? Im pretty sure sps like really clean water! Any way I'm still debating if I'm going to do sps only or not I just want One piece of an acro frag just to see if I can grow it or not! If not I'll stick to montis and bridsnest which I know I can grow in a 13 gallon! And I barely dose!

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean? Im pretty sure sps like really clean water! Any way I'm still debating if I'm going to do sps only or not I just want One piece of an acro frag just to see if I can grow it or not! If not I'll stick to montis and bridsnest which I know I can grow in a 13 gallon! And I barely dose!
You need low detectable phosphates and nitrates. Zero is not good.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back