Any recommendations to improve this aquascape?

duberii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just moved my tank, and with that comes the impossibility of putting your rocks exactly back where they were originally. So I decided to kinda start over, and this is what I came up with.
IMG_2114.jpg

I think that area in the middle would be a cool addition, and when I made it happen, I was really happy with the outcome. The rock on the right had a bit of a hole in the top, so I jammed another rock to try and add some levels, but it didn't really work visually. However, I'd like to get some feedback to see what I can do to make it look even better :)

Then comes the coral placement-
I was thinking of putting either my plate corals (I have 2 medium plate corals, along with 3 babies), but the I thought I'd have to put my pretty big cynarina in front of them, which would pretty much block them entirely. I thought maybe I'd put my cynarina in there, with my plate corals in front, but then my acanthophyllia seems to be left out. Any help with the placement of the dozens of corals I currently have in the sand bed would be greatly appreciated as well.

mann1139

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you concerned about getting your rockwork too high? I get the impression you are trying to keep everything low.

If that's the case, I would still try to 'layer' the tank with the lower surface in the front and higher in the back. I also like to push the higher rocks towards the corners.

OP
OP
duberii

duberii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it and you are the one that is going to live with it, always a tough ask about scapes as we are all individual! ;)
Flow is important and only really you can see that. :)
Yeah I have some wavemakers I'm gonna install but I didn't want to stress the corals after the move- but I think they're happy since they're more open that I've ever seen them after like a day :p

OP
OP
duberii

duberii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you concerned about getting your rockwork too high? I get the impression you are trying to keep everything low.

If that's the case, I would still try to 'layer' the tank with the lower surface in the front and higher in the back. I also like to push the higher rocks towards the corners.
Not really, but I don't have a ton more rock that this- just one big piece that I could break up into some more manageable ones. I read somewhere that you should leave the upper third of your tank empty for growout, but I don't have many acros or other fast-growing corals that could fill up that space, so it could be wise to build the rockwork up a bit more.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have some wavemakers I'm gonna install but I didn't want to stress the corals after the move- but I think they're happy since they're more open that I've ever seen them after like a day :p

Watch your corals and get used to them, they are a good indicator if something is a bit off. :)

OP
OP
duberii

duberii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch your corals and get used to them, they are a good indicator if something is a bit off. :)
Yeah they really are- luckily I haven't really had any huge issues with the tank thus far beyond the usual GHA and cyano- nothing insane or unmanageable though.

mann1139

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really, but I don't have a ton more rock that this- just one big piece that I could break up into some more manageable ones. I read somewhere that you should leave the upper third of your tank empty for growout, but I don't have many acros or other fast-growing corals that could fill up that space, so it could be wise to build the rockwork up a bit more.

You can always stack little rocks underneath if you want to 'grow' things up.

As far as what percentage of the tank to leave 'empty' at the top, I would be keep an eye on two things:

1. How low does the water get during water changes.

2. What angle do you view the tank at? Don't want to be bending down all the time.

Corals kingdom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What i would do take all the rock off and buy the rock glow and start building it the way you wanted slow. Thats what i did with my 110

stoneyrok

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I like your scape. I looked at it very very very closely, and I do have a suggestion. For you to understand I would have to take your pic, and edit it so I can label the rocks, (1,2,3,4 etc) so when I say I would move this rock 2 here, and ... you get it..

I am not sure if you're still actively looking for assistance, so before I do all of that work, I wanted to see if you are interested. I don't want to spend all the time explaining my thoughts if you found a happy solution.

Basically, I would break up the tank man... I would move/remove the rock on the right - the smaller rocks,, this way you have a seperation between the left/right side rocks.

I'd probably move the TOP/CENTER rock to the back left. If the rock in the back left has no growth, then remove it, or place it towards the front. The rock on the front left, I would move it forward so there is separation from the middle structure, and honestly, if that is the only coral on that big rock I would put it on a smaller rock.

Or, when you pull that front left rock forward, move some frags to it.

As far as the frags, I have learned a little. I keep them on their posts or whatever you buy them on, and I move them to certain areas of the tank to see where they open and strive the best.. when I fond that location, then and only then do I glue them down.

If I can't decide, then I place the frag on a rock large enough for it to grow well, and I move that rock where I want it. Make sure it's on a larger rock so you can wedge it around in the other rock..

I love your tank, but if I am honest, and I think you're looking for honest, I love all the rock, but I'd like to see more separation. More holes for fish to swin through and hide in even if you don't have them... You could even build small rock structures with glue for the front of the tank and plant corals there! as long as they are growing and the ones behind them, you'll have a great presentation!

remember the thirds,... tic tac toe, focal points at the crosses, and alternate colors ... dont load up all greens on one side and blues on the other, mix the colors so they don't bump together, and use the tic tac toe...

I hope I a not offensive at all... you asked my opinon and I wanted to be honest.... you have to spread out the rock unless that is your favorite scape.

mix the focal points and colors, put the corals where they strive but colors again not bumped together.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On first try you have symmetry, some small areas that will be hard to maintain. Check out the videos as suggested, BRS has a bunch more. Also check out rule of thirds and how to apply. Also check out video below on R2R, @Queenofreef has several YouTube videos also

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back