Is your aquascape balanced?

Queenofreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquascaping from a design perspective is rarely discussed. I’ve always wondered why we don’t talk much about what makes a scape look visually appealing, so I’ve started a series where I apply common principles of design used in art, photography, graphic design, etc. to reef aquascapes.

This is the first video in the series where I talk about creating balance with your rockwork and how you can use combinations of symmetrical, asymmetrical, and radial balance to create an aesthetically pleasing scape.

This is not a hard-line rule for how to aquascape, but rather a perspective of viewing your aquascape design. Obviously practical considerations must always come first. However, viewing my scapes this way has helped me tremendously and I hope it’s useful to you guys as well!

Let me know what you think

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would like the conversations in this thread :D

OP
OP
Queenofreef

Queenofreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would like the conversations in this thread :D

New to R2R so I have to definitely check this out! Hopefully my info isn’t too regurgitated to what’s discussed there haha. Going to read through tonight!

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
scape.jpg

Is my scape balanced?

OP
OP
Queenofreef

Queenofreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think so... The sea fan on the right kinda counterbalances the large coral on the left....
IMG_2167.JPG

That’s a nice scape! So much vertical room for corals which I wish I did with my current tank but plan to do with my next scape soon!!

Coral placement definitely comes into play with creating balance though, thinking about making another video spin on this actually. Balancing corals by texture, color, or type can have a really awesome effect (coral’s needs permitting of course!).

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquascaping from a design perspective is rarely discussed. I’ve always wondered why we don’t talk much about what makes a scape look visually appealing, so I’ve started a series where I apply common principles of design used in art, photography, graphic design, etc. to reef aquascapes.

This is the first video in the series where I talk about creating balance with your rockwork and how you can use combinations of symmetrical, asymmetrical, and radial balance to create an aesthetically pleasing scape.

This is not a hard-line rule for how to aquascape, but rather a perspective of viewing your aquascape design. Obviously practical considerations must always come first. However, viewing my scapes this way has helped me tremendously and I hope it’s useful to you guys as well!

Let me know what you think

Great video, thanks.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW. Great Video!! Love the Edit, illustrations.
You sure took Scaping to another Level with your Analytical, or Artistic Design Principals.
Great Enthusiam too!!

I love Rock Scaping, sometimes more than everything Else (Thus why Your Post/Video) Caught my Attention.

BTW. All photo's are the SAME ROCK, and How I've redone, when Restarting a Few times......

I do a agree on your points about Negative Space, and Balance.

This was my original Rockscape when I RE-STARTED with an upgrade to a110G Tank. (Couple of years ago)

2019-01-25_BeforeArch.jpg

Note at the Bottom I also tried to Balance, the Trunk Like Tonga Pieces at the Bottom. (BALANCED)

This is the same Tonga (LEFT SIDE) in my Previous Smaller 65G Tank.
UNBALANCED. (ALL THE SAME ROCK PIECES both setups), but above I added one more TONGA Trunk Piece.
2016-10-29_NewRockScapePiece.jpg

Back to the Newer Tank.
The scaping felt like you mention "UNBALANCED." THat Gap on the right Felt to me like Too much Negative Space.
Instead of drawing my attention to the left area, I kept staring at that open Gap.

So I one more Arch and It felt Balanced.

2019-01-25_AfterArch.jpg

Before Adding Negative Space Balance Fixer Piece.
2019-01-25_BeforeArch.jpg

Now one also has to think about things (Space/Balance) into the Future. Those SPS Frags will grow to Much Larger Colonies.

I know I would be in trouble down the road with overcrowding, since I just wanted instant Negative Surface Fillers.
Probably a bad decision in most cases. Plenty of Folks do that, and I still do.

But no worries. I Killed them ALL!! Plenty of Space AGAIN.

I'm starting Again, and this time I'll space things a bit more properly. Will they live long? That's another story.

Just to end My Post.....These are the Other Scapes I've tried out (SAME ROCKS) over the Years.

2017-12-31_NewYearsEveBasement65GallonTank.jpg

2016-03-19_PostAlageCleanUp-NewFragsGluedB.jpg

And Going Really Back in TIME (TO the Begining of the Same ROCKS)
Basement Tank July 2014.JPG

My first attempt at Space Balance.

Balance? Or Not Balanced?

2017-09-22_FistKitchenRocks.jpg
2017-03-25_AfterLeatherAussieTorch.jpg
2016-12-21_KitchenTankLeatherR2R.jpg
2020-05-31_90Gallon-Mixed-KitchenTank.jpg

KitchenTank-90Gal-LPS-2020-11-06.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Queenofreef

Queenofreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I LOVE this post because this is exactly what I was trying to put into words with this video. These pictures explain how the concept is applied perfectly!

The fact that you used the exact same rocks to make a completely different aquascape entirely that is more balanced just goes to show. Kudos to you for noticing there was something you didn’t like and changing it up — the results show!

I’m in love with both of the balanced aquascapes you made so much, particularly the last pic with latest changes. The two arches definitely draw your attention in. It’s almost like you mastered all realms of balance!

You created vertical balance with the arches and a bit of racial balance towards the center because of the way they draw your view in to the middle. Diagonal balance as well with the more elevated right rock. But that horizontal balance you achieved with the right and left mounds — I can tell how you put a LOT of thought into that. That Tonga branch that pokes out matches the visual weight of the right so perfectly!! Bravo, truly.

Thanks for watching my video and sharing how balance was applied in your tank! Wish I had these pictures when I made the video.

And p.s. don’t worry about the sticks, they can be butts 99.9% of the time haha.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I LOVE this post because this is exactly what I was trying to put into words with this video. These pictures explain how the concept is applied perfectly!

The fact that you used the exact same rocks to make a completely different aquascape entirely that is more balanced just goes to show. Kudos to you for noticing there was something you didn’t like and changing it up — the results show!

I’m in love with both of the balanced aquascapes you made so much, particularly the last pic with latest changes. The two arches definitely draw your attention in. It’s almost like you mastered all realms of balance!

You created vertical balance with the arches and a bit of racial balance towards the center because of the way they draw your view in to the middle. Diagonal balance as well with the more elevated right rock. But that horizontal balance you achieved with the right and left mounds — I can tell how you put a LOT of thought into that. That Tonga branch that pokes out matches the visual weight of the right so perfectly!! Bravo, truly.

Thanks for watching my video and sharing how balance was applied in your tank! Wish I had these pictures when I made the video.

And p.s. don’t worry about the sticks, they can be butts 99.9% of the time haha.
Yup.
If you ever make another Video Part II, you can use my tank photos.

I posted more photos with an Edit but messed it up.
Might as well show a bit clearer in a separate Post.

My other Kitchen 90 Gallon Tank.
Balance is Scaping of rocks, and I got it almost right 20 years ago.

This is more about CENTER PIECE Balance.....

Again 100% Same Rocks. This time, none added over 2 decades.

2017-09-22_FistKitchenRocks.jpg

Some small adjustments over the years, as Corals grew up...
2016-12-21_KitchenTankLeatherR2R.jpg

The CenterPiece Leather eventually got to Big...
So I remove it......

Got a Tiny Bubble Coral, and AGAIN it got too big.....
2020-05-31_90Gallon-Mixed-KitchenTank.jpg

Remove it, to restore Balance.
Gave up on Large Growing Center Pieces...

This Worked for a while...
2017-03-25_AfterLeatherAussieTorch.jpg

Eventually they lost their Balance getting too big and overlapping.

So Today, it's starting it's Balance run like this. New change two weeks ago.
KitchenTank-90Gal-LPS-2020-11-06.jpg

It's not very balanced to me (quite yet)....I'm not happy at this point.
Needs more time for things to fill in, and adjustments with more Corals.

Tanks....are......A Balancing Act.... Eh?

WallyB

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 71 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.1%
Back