Any reefers in Fairfield County?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to highjack the post but... Im looking for a frag tank like the zoo med low boy. Or even a flood table (2x 4)
I have two rimless, reef ready, 80G Seapora 48X24X16tall. Corner overflows. About three years old, so just in okay condition.

Also, 2 metal stands. Both need to be sanded and repainted.

Glass Cages is building me a new 10' raceway system, so may be mid-March before I get everything broken down.

Here is a link to the tanks:

Jeto2004

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the area. I am right down the road from you in New Canaan. Stop by Life Aquatic in New Canaan and meet Randy, the owner. He can set you up pretty well.

This spring I will be selling off some frag tanks/stands dirt cheap if that is of interest.
Thank you! Stopped my Life Aquatics while looking for houses! Chatted with Randy! Will have to go back just to look at some life-stock and drool…..
Will keep the frag tank in mind. Get something going while considering a larger build….I like fish tangs as much as corals…

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Stopped my Life Aquatics while looking for houses! Chatted with Randy! Will have to go back just to look at some life-stock and drool…..
Will keep the frag tank in mind. Get something going while considering a larger build….I like fish tangs as much as corals…
Small world.

Most of the stony corals he has for sale come from my grow-out systems. In fact I am bagging up more today for the store. Randy is a good guy; I've known him for over a decade now.

techy_reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New guy here from Norwalk.

Covid changed my work situation drastically to where I'm basically working remotely from home 95% of the time, so without the exhausting commute to NYC anymore I have time for a hobby thus here I am.

I did freshwater 15 years ago. Never did salt/reefs. Don't even have a tank yet, still shopping/researching but looking for something rimless in the 50g range, AIO, so waterbox, red sea, innovative marine are on my list. I've stopped by Life Aquatic in New Canaan, such a nice shop and owner! Hoping to make some rounds to a few other shops just to meet other hobbyists in the area.

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
New guy here from Norwalk.

Covid changed my work situation drastically to where I'm basically working remotely from home 95% of the time, so without the exhausting commute to NYC anymore I have time for a hobby thus here I am.

I did freshwater 15 years ago. Never did salt/reefs. Don't even have a tank yet, still shopping/researching but looking for something rimless in the 50g range, AIO, so waterbox, red sea, innovative marine are on my list. I've stopped by Life Aquatic in New Canaan, such a nice shop and owner! Hoping to make some rounds to a few other shops just to meet other hobbyists in the area.
I've purchased from life aquatic too... another one worth the visit for their fish selection is max reef in bridgeport.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy at Life Aquatic is a solid. Folks at Greenwich Aquaria also good. If you enjoy getting fleeced, House of Fins. HoFins has great livestock choices, I just need to shower in really hot water for a long time after I visit.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HoF makes most of its $ off their tank maintenance business … their customers just want a nice ‘showpiece’ at any cost. To make it look like they are treating those customers ‘fairly’’, they must keep the in-store pricing super high to match the prices they bill their maintenance customers!

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HoF makes most of its $ off their tank maintenance business … their customers just want a nice ‘showpiece’ at any cost. To make it look like they are treating those customers ‘fairly’’, they must keep the in-store pricing super high to match the prices they bill their maintenance customers!
Agreed. I don't think any of the LFS can make it on retail alone in these parts.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy at Life Aquatic is a solid. Folks at Greenwich Aquaria also good. If you enjoy getting fleeced, House of Fins. HoFins has great livestock choices, I just need to shower in really hot water for a long time after I visit.

I'm looking at a fish there right now, I know that it's a bit more expensive, but are the fish healthy?

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think that it’s ‘luck of the draw’ with them… not healthier than any other LFS!
I've actually had a lot more "luck" with them and max reef than other LFS...

By other stores I mean blakes aqua den... I purchased 2 oscars and 2 blood parrots... they had ich and died within 2 days. I tried to treat immediately when I noticed it when I got home with meds but couldn't save them. Then I purchased 4, (on two seperate occasions) yellow corris wrasse from NY Aquatics and both times they died of euroma?

Last edited:

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at a fish there right now, I know that it's a bit more expensive, but are the fish healthy?
@albano is probably right. It is hit/miss with any of them. HoF and Greenwich Aquaria both transship direct from overseas. Life Aquatic gets overnight shipments from Quality Marine via LAX which is more expensive. Quality is said to monitor their sourcing (no dynamite, no cyanide) but transship is the wild west -- or east as it were.

But they all experience 10-30% mortality rates. If there is a shipping issue of course it can approach 100%.

Max Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any groups around Monroe area? Would be nice to get to know some locals.
Stumbled upon a great group, Norwalk aquarium society they meet once a month, however the group was almost exclusively fresh water focused. If you guy need a place. The MaxReef store would be happy to host any meetings or events.

thefuz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all - happy 2023! Hope all the reefs out there are doing well. My reef went through some lazy periods and I'm just starting to clean things back up again. Located in Norwalk. Look forward to catching up with some local folks again.

Carlosmc151

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ridgefield here. Just started my first reed tank. Fluval evo 12.9 (7 weeks in).
Looking dor my first corals and cheeto….
Can I get the Discord invite please?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ridgefield here. Just started my first reed tank. Fluval evo 12.9 (7 weeks in).
Looking dor my first corals and cheeto….
Can I get the Discord invite please?
I am just down the road from you in New Canaan. Hit me up when you are ready for some coral. I have an 11 ft long grow out tank FULL of stuff (mostly acropora). The stuff I have in plentiful supply I'll do for $10-20 for chunky pieces. I supply SPS to Life Aquatic & Greenwich Aquaria pretty much every month (just for store credit). Covers my salt and fish food bill at least.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 36.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 11 13.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 16.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back