Any suggestions for magnets?

footballdude2k3

Acroholic
View Badges
Joined
Mar 8, 2010
Messages
637
Reaction score
11
Location
San Antonio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to make a frag rack, but I need some magnets that I can safely use in the tank, I know I can't be the only one that has done this, so aside from a magcleaner, what're you guys using?
 
Ceramic magnets are reef safe, but they are not very strong. Neodymium magnets are strong enough, and you can get some that are rubber coated. I do not know for certain how they hold up in saltwater long term. There are some that are suppose to be epoxy coated, but they will eventually rust.
Do you have a plan for attaching the magnets to the eggcrate/acrylic?

I made a bunch of frag racks for friends a few years ago using black eggcrate, neodymium magnets and casting resin. They turned out pretty well and many are still being used.
 
If I were doing DIY project I would use earth magnets and coat them myself using silicone.
 
I have used Neo Magnets for a number of Reeftank related projects from www.magnet4sale.com which I was turned onto by Marty (mfinn) above. For under water applications have primarily used the Epoxy coated magnets and then applied another 2-3 coats of Black Appliance Epoxy spray paint over top or completely encased them in resin or Weld-On 16. Pic below is of my DIY Probe Holder that is magnetically attached over Sump baffle, I have a short write-up in our DIY Forum here if interested in the whole project.

DSCF0080.jpg


Cheers, Todd
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 10 5.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 15.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 58 33.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 6.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 6.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 27 15.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 6.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new