any thoughts?

Garth Schafluetzel

75 gal mixed tank in work
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok let me start i have a 75gal tank with 29 gal sump soon to add 35gal fuge. i have a lion fish a marine betta tomato clown yellow tang and an atlantic blue tang also a serpant star and burgandy star a horseshoe crab and 30 blue leg hermit a couple of tag along snails i currently have most lps softies and zoa's mainly because of the power compact lights i plan to up grade lights with the fuge up grade and want to start keepings sps so if you guys were in this spot what would you do. ill have the whole tank down to put on my custom stand with everything out so now is the time lol

scrmbld33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would go with 2 250 mhs, and 2 actinics for sps. i would also ditch the horseshoe crab they get very big and destructive.

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5s are great. Just make sure to get a really good fixture. There should be independent reflectors for each bulb, and preferably seperate on/off switches for actinics/daylight bulbs. As long as the unit is very well vented a fan isn't 100% necessary, but it'll help extend bulb life. If you have your tank someplace cool this isn't much of a worry. The bulbs also throw much less heat than MH, so a chiller isn't likely to be needed. I can get a 48" T5HO 8 bulb fixture for $379.99. Bulbs included, but no fans. You can see it at:

http://www.shop.russellaquaculture.com/product.sc?categoryId=27&productId=160

I'd drop ship it (saves a ton on shipping) so I'd just need a zip code for a shipping quote if you decided to go that route.

OP
OP
Garth Schafluetzel

Garth Schafluetzel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my zip is 37415 im going to have to find sum one to buy my PC fixture and get the rest of my mony together but that is something im realy interted in doing but being a server in a restruant it takes me a little longer than most people

OP
OP
Garth Schafluetzel

Garth Schafluetzel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang sorry for the double post but a question as it comes i will be able to add to my tank from the box and once everything is used to it i can start keep sps like monti's stylo's acro's and such because thats realy what i want to keep along with some zoas and a few softies that have been with me since my 35gal running 4 regular outpu florescents in a custom hoom two actinic and two regular bulbs lol

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back