Any tips on how to care for baby maxima clam?

bsagea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regardless of what many say, I believe in feeding phyto to a tank that is housing clams. They are filter feeders feeding on it in the ocean as well as needing major lighting. At one time I had 30 clams between 2 tanks. Both tanks were fed phyto. I had tiny ones and large ones anywhere from 6 months to over 4 1/2 yrs until some "clam plague" wiped out 29 of them. Ask 100 people how to run a reef tank and you'll get 100 different answers. Do what works best for you. I would be wary of it being between the rocks if it can't open as it grows.
bsa

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regardless of what many say, I believe in feeding phyto to a tank that is housing clams. They are filter feeders feeding on it in the ocean as well as needing major lighting. At one time I had 30 clams between 2 tanks. Both tanks were fed phyto. I had tiny ones and large ones anywhere from 6 months to over 4 1/2 yrs until some "clam plague" wiped out 29 of them. Ask 100 people how to run a reef tank and you'll get 100 different answers. Do what works best for you. I would be wary of it being between the rocks if it can't open as it grows.
bsa
What type of plague PM? Was it introduced with a new clam or something else?

bsagea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of plague PM? Was it introduced with a new clam or something else?
No new clam added or coral that I recall. We have no idea...lost one clam, next day another exactly the same - sunken in somewhat. One a day until 29 were gone. Guessing maybe some type of bacteria. It was Odd that it was one a day. Having had a fireworm that wiped out a group before and also a polyclad flatworm, we knew it wasn't anything like that.

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No new clam added or coral that I recall. We have no idea...lost one clam, next day another exactly the same - sunken in somewhat. One a day until 29 were gone. Guessing maybe some type of bacteria. It was Odd that it was one a day. Having had a fireworm that wiped out a group before and also a polyclad flatworm, we knew it wasn't anything like that.
Wow this is giving me an anxiety, just reading it. Sorry bud.
This channel is epic!
Right? These guys were dosing ammonia to grow clams faster when I was born, while we were trying to zero out our nitrates up until a few years ago. Lol

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow this is giving me an anxiety, just reading it. Sorry bud.

Right? These guys were dosing ammonia to grow clams faster when I was born, while we were trying to zero out our nitrates up until a few years ago. Lol
I used to talk to Gerald on the phone when I worked at Tropicorium, nice guy.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 14 21.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 50 75.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back