Any tips or hacks to keep frags from rocking in the frag rack?

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 80% of the frags I put in my frag rack are fine. However there's certain ones that I can't keep from swaying and rocking with the flow. I read when corals are constantly being jociled like that it impedes growth. I'm hoping someone has some little hack I haven't thought of to keep them stationary.

The only thing I found that works well is putting the frag in place and then from the under side winding a rubber band around the bottom to hold it snug. However my rack tends to stay pretty full and in order to get my hand at the right angle I have to pull the whole dam thing out of the water, which inevitably means either water all over the place or frags falling out... usually both. :downcast-face-with-sweat:

Any ideas?

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can find little rubber donut/gaskets like this you can put it under the plug (similar to zip tie idea above) to keep it secure to the mount/rack

IMG_8845.jpg

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are bung rings.
You can get a box of 'compressor o-rings' off amazon pretty cheap with a bunch of different sizes.. though the comment above about the elastic band is probably cheaper & easier :grinning-face-with-sweat:

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, when I see that, I just move my frag rack round till i hit the right spot where the water flow tumbles onto the racks rather that hitting it from the sides (thats what makes the frags move). Also I use egg crates to make my frag racks and glue them to those cheap but strong flat magnet brushes. Works like a charm, being able to move the frag rack around easily.

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just decided to get racks only from a place like building and obsession that has silicone grippers so my snails and urchins don't knock out my frags.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back