Any Trigger Platinum sump users out there?

elwallacejr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not necessarily advocating for use of this product but is it me or does this look exactly like the 10 inch by 50 yard Fleece roll provided by Trigger Systems?

Amazon Embroidery Backing
Doubt it. The Trigger fleeces didn't tear cleanly at all in my experience. Sure does look similar though.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm not necessarily advocating for use of this product but is it me or does this look exactly like the 10 inch by 50 yard Fleece roll provided by Trigger Systems?

Amazon Embroidery Backing

My actual day to day job is an embroiderer. My family has been in the industry since 1991 so I joined up with my dad to run the shop about 10 years ago after managing multiple restaurants. Embroidery backing is WAY denser than filter fleece. Even the tear away you have linked. It would clog super fast.

RuuToo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm interested in thoughts on the V2, and Im also super curious about whether the new platinum sumps come with the V2 motor controller (because Im thinking of buying one, and I dont want to spend almost $1300 on a sump and then have to pay more for the upgrade). Anyone bought one recently?

kboogie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t set my 39 platinum up yet but I did notice that Trigger released a “V2” version of the motor with a screen and optical sensors instead of the float sensors. Has anyone made this upgrade and what are your thoughts on it?

I'm interested in thoughts on the V2, and Im also super curious about whether the new platinum sumps come with the V2 motor controller (because Im thinking of buying one, and I dont want to spend almost $1300 on a sump and then have to pay more for the upgrade). Anyone bought one recently?

I've been eyeing the upgrade as well. For five-plus days in a row last week, my roller wasn't responding to the flow switch so I would have to manually advance the roller by pushing the button every hour or so. Then all of a sudden it started working on its own again. This has me wanting to try the upgrade.

RuuToo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been eyeing the upgrade as well. For five-plus days in a row last week, my roller wasn't responding to the flow switch so I would have to manually advance the roller by pushing the button every hour or so. Then all of a sudden it started working on its own again. This has me wanting to try the upgrade.
I've asked both BRS and AquaCave about the status of the V2 on the new sumps and no response yet after several days. I would have thought someone would want to sell me super expensive stuff, but here we are...

kboogie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've asked both BRS and AquaCave about the status of the V2 on the new sumps and no response yet after several days. I would have thought someone would want to sell me super expensive stuff, but here we are...
I’d bet they only have V1 Sumps in inventory.

RuuToo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know premium aquatics have the v2 because I bought one. I also got confirmation from brs that they are shipping the v2 as well. Now… related question. Does anyone know how to assemble the v2 motor. I’ve got about 60 parts and basically no instructions.

Artistic Oceans

View Badges
Reaction score
6820 W Sahara Ave #3, Las Vegas, NV 89146
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a trigger platinum and don't like it. The fleece roller just isn't good... The sensors are overwhelmed easily and the roller quits working. I had to manually forward it constantly. The float sensors were bad I thought.

They came out with the new advanced upgrade with the sensors. Stupid to pay for that, but I did trying to save the sump. New controller, motor and sensors.

Same garbage. The sensors work when bench tested but in the real world every day or two I have to advance the fleece to get the water under the sensors then it works fine... for another day or so.

I think its the computer they are using at this point. Either way, save your money and get something else.

PhoenixOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far happy with my Platinum 26". I was getting a ton of large air bubbles popping up loud as hell into the fleece roller section from where the 2 drain section is. It's really air tight with the gasket and my plumbing causing the large bubbles as the chamber became pressurized and pushed into the next section after building up. Removed one of the thumb screws from the drain holder and the air quickly escaped and stopped the bubbles and annoying sound. Just a heads up in case anyone else is experiencing this, its an easy fix
This,...! This worked like...a CHARM! OMG the noise was driving me NUTS! CRAZY! BONKERS!!! When I saw this solution, I said to myself, "no way. Come on. Can't be". Went under, blindly unscrewed it (couldnt see it-back left of cabinet) and immediately heard a "whooosh" and felt air escape.........then dead silence. Oh the sweet sweet sound of a dead silent sump! Thank you soooooo very much for this solution! So very much appreciate your contribution!

Btw, have to ask, any danger of water escaping through that little screw hole? I have 90 gallon Aqueon with one drain and I plugged the unused sump drain with a cap from Home Depot. The cap fit inside the unused drain and made air tight seal. I was told in my thread:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/brought-trigger-system-platinum-26-for-my-90g-aga-tank-but.987627/

"just dont use the 2nd connector" which would mean no danger of water coming out from unused drain connector so I pretty much have my concern answered. Just had to ask cause I'm a nervous Nellie :anxious-face-with-sweat:.

I asked about a solution in my same thread and didnt get this solution but thats probably because the thread doesnt mention the gurgling issue. I added the question as secondary to my thread so probably why it was missed. I could of just removed the cap inside the 2nd drain instead of removing screw but it's in there tight and only way of getting it out without shutting everything down, emptying sump and moving it to where I could get to it and remove.

I'll post this thread's solution to close my secondary question.

Once again....THANK YOU so very much!!!!

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This,...! This worked like...a CHARM! OMG the noise was driving me NUTS! CRAZY! BONKERS!!! When I saw this solution, I said to myself, "no way. Come on. Can't be". Went under, blindly unscrewed it (couldnt see it-back left of cabinet) and immediately heard a "whooosh" and felt air escape.........then dead silence. Oh the sweet sweet sound of a dead silent sump! Thank you soooooo very much for this solution! So very much appreciate your contribution!

Btw, have to ask, any danger of water escaping through that little screw hole? I have 90 gallon Aqueon with one drain and I plugged the unused sump drain with a cap from Home Depot. The cap fit inside the unused drain and made air tight seal. I was told in my thread:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/brought-trigger-system-platinum-26-for-my-90g-aga-tank-but.987627/

"just dont use the 2nd connector" which would mean no danger of water coming out from unused drain connector so I pretty much have my concern answered. Just had to ask cause I'm a nervous Nellie :anxious-face-with-sweat:.

I asked about a solution in my same thread and didnt get this solution but thats probably because the thread doesnt mention the gurgling issue. I added the question as secondary to my thread so probably why it was missed. I could of just removed the cap inside the 2nd drain instead of removing screw but it's in there tight and only way of getting it out without shutting everything down, emptying sump and moving it to where I could get to it and remove.

I'll post this thread's solution to close my secondary question.

Once again....THANK YOU so very much!!!!
I am so happy you found my post and it helped you out. The noise drove me nuts also. My tank is in my office behind my desk and I started to think I made a mistake buying this setup. I was able to trace it all back to that first chamber and there was no way to eliminate the air from the drains. Remembering the gasket and how sealed it was to "eliminate" salt spray I thought, let me just take that thumb screw off opening it up to let the air escape and bam.

I don't see how water could escape from that little hole, ever. The next chamber of the sump would have to somehow become pressurized in the same way for it to lead back to that first chamber hole and even then, it has it's own emergency overflow that bypasses the fleece chamber straight into the skimmer chamber.

After 2 years I had some salt creep start to clog the hole and I just wet it with some salt water and pushed it down into the chamber. So if you start to hear it bubbling again, that could be the issue.

Otherwise very happy with the sump overall. I did do the Fleece roller upgrade and eliminated the floats completely, just using the timer on it's own to get more life from the roller and force a little more through the fleece.

-Happy Reefing!!

centex99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm leaning towards buying a new Titanium 26 which comes out here shortly. Seems it uses the V2 motor system and has a few improvements over the platinum. Is this a good soltuion/route for a Nuvo 50 or should I look elsewhere? I know it's not cheap, but I do like the convenience the fleece roller will add over socks.

centex99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm buying a used one tomorrow for my new build (buying a whole tank setup but going to resell the tank/stand/canopy/lights)... Has anyone ever hooked up the sensors and motor to a Hydros system and eliminated their control box? Or has anyone rewired the float switches to the optical kind without upgrading the entire system?
I'm not sure yet I want to spend the $260 to upgrade it... he mentioned it worked fine when he had the tank setup as is though...
I wanted to get the new titanium 26, but hasn't come out and I'm getting a deal on this tank + other stuff (less than what the platinum sells for new still).

TonkaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm buying a used one tomorrow for my new build (buying a whole tank setup but going to resell the tank/stand/canopy/lights)... Has anyone ever hooked up the sensors and motor to a Hydros system and eliminated their control box? Or has anyone rewired the float switches to the optical kind without upgrading the entire system?
I'm not sure yet I want to spend the $260 to upgrade it... he mentioned it worked fine when he had the tank setup as is though...
I wanted to get the new titanium 26, but hasn't come out and I'm getting a deal on this tank + other stuff (less than what the platinum sells for new still).
Bump.... Wondering about this as well..

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back