Any way to Counteract Vodka Dosing?

khiyasu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a tank that is in proximity to alcohol cleaning products being used and stored. What we are finding is that the airborne alcohol molecules are seemingly getting into the tank system resulting in low nutrients (expected with vodka dosing) and slime forming on the surface of the water.

At this point, we are trying venting and pulling outside air into the skimmer but that's not resolving the issue. We are also dosing no3 and po4 to keep nutrients detectable. However, since there is no option of eliminating the alcohol getting into the system, is there anything that can be done to either neutralize/counteract the alcohol thats getting into the system?

Thanks

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think there is a way to eliminate the alcohol once it is in the water.

Besides the methods you have listed, I would consider a glass lid to limit the amount of contamination as well as an airline to a different room or better yet outside.

OP
OP
K

khiyasu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think there is a way to eliminate the alcohol once it is in the water.

Besides the methods you have listed, I would consider a glass lid to limit the amount of contamination as well as an airline to a different room or better yet outside.

Thanks. I mean for now we can do waterchanges to remove the alcohol however just thinking if there is any preventative measures. Even better if the alcohol can be neutralized/counteracted but I'm not optimistic on the options for this route

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a tank that is in proximity to alcohol cleaning products being used and stored. What we are finding is that the airborne alcohol molecules are seemingly getting into the tank system resulting in low nutrients (expected with vodka dosing) and slime forming on the surface of the water.

At this point, we are trying venting and pulling outside air into the skimmer but that's not resolving the issue. We are also dosing no3 and po4 to keep nutrients detectable. However, since there is no option of eliminating the alcohol getting into the system, is there anything that can be done to either neutralize/counteract the alcohol thats getting into the system?

Thanks

I am skeptical that there is enough ethanol in the air to affect nutrient levels. Humans can detect ethanol around 1 mg per cubic meter. Even if you pick up the scent of ethanol, there is a minuscule amount entering the water. I would look for another reason for low nutrient levels.

OP
OP
K

khiyasu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am skeptical that there is enough ethanol in the air to affect nutrient levels. Humans can detect ethanol around 1 mg per cubic meter. Even if you pick up the scent of ethanol, there is a minuscule amount entering the water. I would look for another reason for low nutrient levels.

There are 2 systems running and both have the same issue. The skimmer is undersized for the tank and we're already overfeeding the livestock while adding po4 and no3 at the same time. The alcohol cleaning products are in the same area as the tanks and the slime is not typical of what we have seen before from bacterial blooms. From process of elimination this is where we have landed. Not sure if there will be an actual redemy or solution but just wanted to see if anyone had an idea for potential solutions or dealt with something similar before.

ichthyoid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Granular activated carbon should remove alcohol from the water. I would filter the skimmer air intake through some GAC as well, to try and limit the alcohol’s introduction into the tank. Depending on quantity in the air, that will determine the change frequency.

At some point, alcohol fumes become a health hazard for humans. The fatty tissues of the lungs are particularly vulnerable to organic solvents, such as alcohols. Is there a lot of alcohol vapor in the environment?

OP
OP
K

khiyasu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m also skeptical that this is your issue, but why don’t you just move the alcohol and stop using it near the tank?

That would've been our preferred choice however unfortunately its not an option for the time being.

OP
OP
K

khiyasu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Granular activated carbon should remove alcohol from the water. I would filter the skimmer air intake through some GAC as well, to try and limit the alcohol’s introduction into the tank. Depending on quantity in the air, that will determine the change frequency.

At some point, alcohol fumes become a health hazard for humans. The fatty tissues of the lungs are particularly vulnerable to organic solvents, such as alcohols. Is there a lot of alcohol vapor in the environment?

Thanks. Might be worth trying Carbon.

Its mainly storage of cleaning equipment containing alcohol. The vapor is seemingly getting better and hopefully its not permanent but the location of the reef tanks are at a storage location so we do not control what is being stored there.

ichthyoid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Might be worth trying Carbon.

Its mainly storage of cleaning equipment containing alcohol. The vapor is seemingly getting better and hopefully its not permanent but the location of the reef tanks are at a storage location so we do not control what is being stored there.

Understood.

If possible, use a long container, like a tube, packed with GAC to filter the skimmer air through. That will give more resident time in the tube for the alcohol to be adsorbed. Just make sure it doesn’t restrict the air flow too much. Also, using a larger diameter tube/container will help with flow, due to less restriction/pressure drop.

If necessary, you might also try covering the tank with a sheet of plastic. So all, or most, of the air contacting the tank water is going through the GAC air filter.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe act as if you are carbon dosing, which you think you are. Skim well and dose nutrients or feed more they are 0.
Not that big a deal.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are out of your mind putting that in the tank, I dont know if itll work but id run 4x the carbon, rinse it well and it wont hurt, it may just help. not cheap carbon plz

OP
OP
K

khiyasu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understood.

If possible, use a long container, like a tube, packed with GAC to filter the skimmer air through. That will give more resident time in the tube for the alcohol to be adsorbed. Just make sure it doesn’t restrict the air flow too much. Also, using a larger diameter tube/container will help with flow, due to less restriction/pressure drop.

If necessary, you might also try covering the tank with a sheet of plastic. So all, or most, of the air contacting the tank water is going through the GAC air filter.

Sounds like carbon is already being used but I'll see if they can set it up as you have described. Right now the sump is in closest proximity so thats being covered but might have to explore covering the tank as well. Not ideal but will consider that.

Maybe act as if you are carbon dosing, which you think you are. Skim well and dose nutrients or feed more they are 0.
Not that big a deal.
Yeah, right now we're adding lots of no3 and po4, and skimming lots. Just curious if there is any alternative.

See what happens when you only read the title of the thread--I was going to say coffee.
LOL

Lots of sock changes.
Yes! Daily!

You are out of your mind putting that in the tank, I dont know if itll work but id run 4x the carbon, rinse it well and it wont hurt, it may just help. not cheap carbon plz
Definitely will try that out

run the skimmer air to outside
I believe this is already done as well. Thanks!

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like carbon is already being used but I'll see if they can set it up as you have described. Right now the sump is in closest proximity so thats being

I believe this is already done as well. Thanks!
Place a fan over the top of the tank to blow the alcohol away?
Except what does it get replaced with if the alcohol is everywhere.
You blow away alcohol laden air replaced with alcohol laden air.

ichthyoid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Place a fan over the top of the tank to blow the alcohol away?

Alcohols form weak hydrogen bonds with water. Both will evaporate, but there is likely a steady state condition between the fume concentration in the air & water concentration.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an experiment to verify if atmospheric alcohol vapor is indeed the problem, try floating a piece of Greenhouse Acrylic Roofing Panel from Home Depot (see below) as floating lids inside the tank and using forced aeration through GAC filter. Fairly cheap to setup (much cheaper than glass lids.

1603853260013.png

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 132 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back