2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With this piece of garbage overflow?
02cd84dd.jpg

461a2b91.jpg

God forbid I turn the pump off. When I turn it back on, I cant get the water to go down the pipe, no matter how wide open or closed i have the valve. Air hose fills with water, tank fills up overflows if I dont turn off the return flow. I've tried using another air hose to blow air into it but no dice. I've gotten it to work before but no idea how, i'm usually seeing red by the time it happens so I can never remember.

If you have any tips PLEASE HELP ME!! I'm about to brick my aquarium, which would suck for my wyomings;)

VelasCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't tell what is on the other end of that 90 but I would turn it around so the opening of the 90 is facing up.

I bet it was designed to add an airtube to the top and suck on it to start the drain but that seems like an overflow waiting to happen.

OP
OP
akabryanhall

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx for the reply! Yeah I think that the air tube sucks air in making the overflow quieter but in fortunately it won't do te job anymore. You can actually see in the 2nd pic the water level outside the tube is below the top, but inside the tube, water is blocking the tube to the lip. The 90 is siliconed in place. No moving it unfortunately.

OP
OP
akabryanhall

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it figured out finally. The 60 is plumbed into a 90.
d2121bc0.jpg

The corregated pipe is the return to the sump under the 90. When the pump turns off, The water drained into the dip and stayed there, preventing the water from draining from the 60 overflow once the pump turned back on. On a whim I lifted the dip, let the water drain from it then turned the pump back on. works like a charm. take back the garbage comment above and apply it to myself.

Last edited:

Dsobo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar issue with mine but before it o o that point I drilled it out an added a larger longer pipe. I have not had issues since.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could probably replace the elbow with a threaded T, and then put a cap on the top. If you needed more air, you could just drill the hole slightly bigger.

The elbow is facing down to make it quiet, with the air tube to, obviously, allow air to help drain without "gulping".

Edit: Just saw the 90 was siliconed into place, haha. Get a razor and cut 'er out :)

Last edited:

JackoChang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of those! I took the airline out and drilled a larger hole, then I made another hole. I put the airline adjustment knobs in the holes, so I could controlthe air flow. Not perfect, but no more slurping either.

Sent from my DROID using Forum Runner

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120508_213949.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120508_213949.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 249

stan13ag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats the tank I have as well. I kept hearing of people drilling holes but the working space on those is so tight I was afraid if I had to change out the plumbing it would be a huge pain

3mm3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looked at your pictures there and just wanted to say be careful with that flex hose. Looks just like 2 i had on my tanks and both blew out. Basically split a nice hole in the hose. Both of them.. That was also with less of a bend than whats in that picture.

Quick question though what return pump are you using? I have the same tank and was curious. Thanks

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 78.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.1%
Back