Anybody ever link 2 heater controllers

ShakeyGizzard

RedNeck Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is based on the heater controller that you plug the heater into. The first controller temp can be set at say 84 deg. and the second controller is plugged into the first one and set at 78 deg. This way the first controller does not cycle on and off, but if temp gets to high from the second controller being stuck on it will.

OP
OP
ShakeyGizzard

ShakeyGizzard

RedNeck Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wire diagram.png

OP
OP
ShakeyGizzard

ShakeyGizzard

RedNeck Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds nifty! The idea being that the temperature has softer fluctuations and a redundancy?

I guess this is at the expense of 2 controllers though (cost and space for them)
I replace controllers every year, you can rotate #1 to #2 and still just replace 1 controller

mizimmer90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is to stop the dreaded stuck on heater, my house stays roughly 74 to 76 year round so stuck off is not so bad.

In parallel: So long as the heaters are underpowered, if one controller breaks with a stuck on, the other will shut off.

I guess if the heaters are overpowered, in series you have a 50/50 chance that the stuck on controller is the second in the series?

OP
OP
ShakeyGizzard

ShakeyGizzard

RedNeck Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In parallel: So long as the heaters are underpowered, if one controller breaks with a stuck on, the other will shut off.

I guess if the heaters are overpowered, in series you have a 50/50 chance that the stuck on controller is the second in the series?
Thats if they are in series

mizimmer90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats if they are in series

Controller 1 set to 83/80 and controller 2 set to 78. Each heater can't heat the tank on its own.

2 controllers in parallel with their own temp readings: 1) if controller 1 is stuck on, controller 2 shuts off at 78. 2) if controller 2 is stuck on, controller 1 shuts off at 80/83.

2 controllers in series: 1) if controller 1 is stuck on, controller 2 shuts off at 78. 2) if controller 2 is stuck on, controller 1 shuts off at 80/83.

It's the same redundancy run in parallel vs series. The only difference is that if the heaters are overpowered and controllers are run in series, controller 1 is a failsafe to controller 2. But in this scenario, if controller 1 breaks, you're out of luck (50/50 chance)

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two heaters with built on temp settings and set to 78

Those are plugged each into their own Ranco controller. Those are each set to 80.

Each of those Ranco controllers are plugged into two different Apex energy bars controlled by 3 different temp probes. 1 in the display tank and 2 in the sump. The Apex is set to 80.5

Each of those energy bars is plugged into two separate 20a AFCI/GFCI circuits.

I swap out a heater every couple years with a new one.

Yeah, I like redundancy. I have had a heater go bad. Heaters are notorious for failing in one way or another.

mizimmer90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a controller stuck on in series will be controlled by the second controller, if they are in
paralle, the stuck on controller will still heat the aquarium
Okay, I realized the issue here. I assumed you had a heater into each controller. From your diagram you only have 1 heater. Is this correct?

OP
OP
ShakeyGizzard

ShakeyGizzard

RedNeck Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is about a stuck on controller, that's all I need covered, each controller can have 2 heaters as redundancy , this will cover any stuck on ( as in cook your aquarium) heater

mizimmer90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, then I suggest you follow this logic again

Controller 1 set to 83/80 and controller 2 set to 78. Each heater can't heat the tank on its own.

2 controllers in parallel with their own temp readings: 1) if controller 1 is stuck on, controller 2 shuts off at 78. 2) if controller 2 is stuck on, controller 1 shuts off at 80/83.

2 controllers in series: 1) if controller 1 is stuck on, controller 2 shuts off at 78. 2) if controller 2 is stuck on, controller 1 shuts off at 80/83.

It's the same redundancy run in parallel vs series. The only difference is that if the heaters are overpowered and controllers are run in series, controller 1 is a failsafe to controller 2. But in this scenario, if controller 1 breaks, you're out of luck (50/50 chance)

This is an example of temp controllers run in parallel

I have two heaters with built on temp settings and set to 78

Those are plugged each into their own Ranco controller. Those are each set to 80.

Each of those Ranco controllers are plugged into two different Apex energy bars controlled by 3 different temp probes. 1 in the display tank and 2 in the sump. The Apex is set to 80.5

Each of those energy bars is plugged into two separate 20a AFCI/GFCI circuits.

I swap out a heater every couple years with a new one.

Yeah, I like redundancy. I have had a heater go bad. Heaters are notorious for failing in one way or another.

If the heaters are underpowered, a single stuck on heater will not overheat your tank. If the controllers are run in series, and the heaters are overpowered, you have a 50/50 chance that it saves your aquarium (only if controller 2 breaks on)

OP
OP
ShakeyGizzard

ShakeyGizzard

RedNeck Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, then I suggest you follow this logic again

This is an example of temp controllers run in parallel

If the heaters are underpowered, a single stuck on heater will not overheat your tank. If the controllers are run in series, and the heaters are overpowered, you have a 50/50 chance that it saves your aquarium (only if controller 2 breaks on)
controller 1 will control your temp at its setting if cont. 2 sticks on. cont. 1 is a normally closed switch basically. It does not cycle on and off unless its temp is reach. this will save you from cooking your pets until you get home

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back