Anybody ever seen or had a stand fail ???

coral88

Hobbyist for now
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear and read a lot about people worrying about a stand collapsing under the pressure of a aquarium but I never see or hear about it actually happening. I have built a few stands and I use 1x4s for the vertical support. I would be amazed if I had one fail. I feel safe with as much as 150 pounds of vertical force per 1x4 I normal have two at each corner so if I build a stand with two at each corner I would feel safe with as 1200 pounds on the stand. The wood can take far more than that weight but it is a good way to make a safe stand If it is built right. There is a little more to making it sturdy than that but that is the thing I hear the most about. People thinking they are going to have a 2x4 fail under the pressure and it’s just not going to happen. If you took four 2x4 a two feet long and had them supported so that they could not fall over they could support the weight of a full size truck 3000+ pounds

So let me know what you know and if you have a pic of a stand that failed please let us see it

Garth Schafluetzel

75 gal mixed tank in work
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had one get a split in it but it was through me letting my friend drill a hole for my drain line lol ( hey i know a way to get a hole there next thing i know were putting 2x4 up to hold it up and plans were drawn up for my new stand

FateX8

Frag Dragon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah ive never seen one fail
only thing i worry about from the store bought stands is the mdf soaking up water over time

Protein Skimmers – Are They Really Necessary?

• YES

Votes: 31 50.8%
  • NO

Votes: 20 32.8%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 9 14.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back