Anybody ever seen or had a stand fail ???

  • Thread starter Thread starter coral88
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

coral88

Hobbyist for now
View Badges
Joined
Feb 16, 2008
Messages
940
Reaction score
3
Location
Miami FL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear and read a lot about people worrying about a stand collapsing under the pressure of a aquarium but I never see or hear about it actually happening. I have built a few stands and I use 1x4s for the vertical support. I would be amazed if I had one fail. I feel safe with as much as 150 pounds of vertical force per 1x4 I normal have two at each corner so if I build a stand with two at each corner I would feel safe with as 1200 pounds on the stand. The wood can take far more than that weight but it is a good way to make a safe stand If it is built right. There is a little more to making it sturdy than that but that is the thing I hear the most about. People thinking they are going to have a 2x4 fail under the pressure and it’s just not going to happen. If you took four 2x4 a two feet long and had them supported so that they could not fall over they could support the weight of a full size truck 3000+ pounds

So let me know what you know and if you have a pic of a stand that failed please let us see it
 
i had one get a split in it but it was through me letting my friend drill a hole for my drain line lol ( hey i know a way to get a hole there next thing i know were putting 2x4 up to hold it up and plans were drawn up for my new stand
 
yeah ive never seen one fail
only thing i worry about from the store bought stands is the mdf soaking up water over time
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 3 4.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 7.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 16 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 14.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 12.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 9.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new