Anyone collect fish in central Florida?

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on vacation in the Tampa area, specifically Clearwater. I'd love to bring home some fish for my tank (apparently you can bring live fish on a plane in your carry-on). I'm specifically looking for a couple seahorses, but I'd also like to collect some schooling fish and others.

Where do I find seahorses? I snorkeled a grass bed for about an hour and also tried seining with no luck.

What are your favorite fish collecting spots? I went to North Beach at Fort Desoto, the one with all those rocks. That was pretty great, are there any other rocky spots?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on vacation in the Tampa area, specifically Clearwater. I'd love to bring home some fish for my tank (apparently you can bring live fish on a plane in your carry-on). I'm specifically looking for a couple seahorses, but I'd also like to collect some schooling fish and others.

Where do I find seahorses? I snorkeled a grass bed for about an hour and also tried seining with no luck.

What are your favorite fish collecting spots? I went to North Beach at Fort Desoto, the one with all those rocks. That was pretty great, are there any other rocky spots?

You have to have a license to harvest saltwater fish.

scchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This time of the year clearwater should have a decent selection, should be able to get seahorses in the Indian river as well as other random stuff. Walmart carries the licenses.

OP
OP
ThePurple12

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This time of the year clearwater should have a decent selection, should be able to get seahorses in the Indian river as well as other random stuff. Walmart carries the licenses.
Thanks, good info. I'll check out the Indian river, too bad it's all the way on the other side of Florida...

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Keys and St Petersburg

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'd have better luck with captive bred seahorses. Wild caught have a harder time adjusting to the aquarium and may never eat and just slowly die.

OP
OP
ThePurple12

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'd have better luck with captive bred seahorses. Wild caught have a harder time adjusting to the aquarium and may never eat and just slowly die.
Eh, I feel like that’s a bit of a myth. I bought 2 WC online and had no problems training them to frozen with the help of some petsmart ghost shrimp. They would have lived if it wasn’t for the stupid lawnmower blenny I added a few months later....

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 74 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back