Collecting a clean up crew in Pinellas county Florida

Tankandspank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I am going on vacation to Pinellas county, FL and want to collect a clean up crew while there. I have read through many of the threads on this forum and others and there is a lot of contradictory information. Here is the fish and wildlife page of FL specific to recreational marine life harvest. It seems that if you are not in a national park, you can collect 5 of a species per day apart from a few that have more specific guidelines listed further down the page. I have seen many people say in various threads collecting snails is illegal, collecting hermits is illegal, collecting ANYTHING at all is illegal. Where is this coming from?

I am specifically interested in hermit crabs and snails.
There is a carve out for hermit crabs on the site, but it only mentions land hermits which I would not mistake for the small crabs I could put in a tank.
There is no specific mention of snails anywhere.
Am I to assume that I can take 5 of each species per day of any snail or hermit crab that I see?

Also, I need to transport these animals back to my tank in another state. How do I confirm that I'm not smuggling contraband across state lines? I will likely overnight them to myself.

Anyone with more info or personal experience would be so helpful.

Thanks a ton.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I am going on vacation to Pinellas county, FL and want to collect a clean up crew while there. I have read through many of the threads on this forum and others and there is a lot of contradictory information. Here is the fish and wildlife page of FL specific to recreational marine life harvest. It seems that if you are not in a national park, you can collect 5 of a species per day apart from a few that have more specific guidelines listed further down the page. I have seen many people say in various threads collecting snails is illegal, collecting hermits is illegal, collecting ANYTHING at all is illegal. Where is this coming from?

I am specifically interested in hermit crabs and snails.
There is a carve out for hermit crabs on the site, but it only mentions land hermits which I would not mistake for the small crabs I could put in a tank.
There is no specific mention of snails anywhere.
Am I to assume that I can take 5 of each species per day of any snail or hermit crab that I see?

Also, I need to transport these animals back to my tank in another state. How do I confirm that I'm not smuggling contraband across state lines? I will likely overnight them to myself.

Anyone with more info or personal experience would be so helpful.

Thanks a ton.
OK, here is the rundown. I collect on a commercial license, but am very well versed in the recreational side of things.

You need a saltwater fishing license. Even a 3 day is fine.

You need to ensure you have a full support system for the critters. This is a gotcha if you do not. A bunket of water is not a support system. You MUST have a bubbler or circulation pump. One of the mini bait bubblers that takes 2x AA batteries is cheap and perfect.

You can take 5 of any species with a combined total of 20 organisms from however many species you decide upon. In short, no more than 5 of one species, no more than 20 of all combined.

This is where it gets tricky.

Hermit crabs are allowed for harvest. Just not land hermits. So, you can keep 5 per day of any type of hermit. Red legs, white legs, blue legs, doesn't matter. Just no more than 5 total. Not 5 whites and 5 reds. Just 5 total of all types.

You can keep snails. That is not an issue. They are not specifically called out in the Marine Life list, but are referenced in "Other Marine Life Invertebrates". This would include nasarius, nerite, and Mexican turbos (if you can find them that far north). Same applies here, no more than 5 per day of all types combined. A snail is a snail when it comes to species. So again, not 5 nerite and 5 nassarius. Just 5 snails.

You can also keep 5 brittle stars or any other starfish you find, excluding Cushion sea stars.

You then have a 2 day potion limit that allows 10 of each species or 40 total organisms. This will not really apply, as that is more for boats and such. If you go back to hotel or house, and move to a cooler or something, the harvest is complete for that day. Do not go collect more. But the next day, it resets and you can go collect again.

To add to this, you can also collect macro. you are allowed one gallon per day. This means you can pack as much into 1 gallon as you want and be fine. Even if you have 4 gallons of water, as long as it will pack into a 1 gallon baggie, not issue. It could be 3 gallons expanded and not matter, just has to pack into a gallon bag in the end.

There is also the fact you can do multiple licenses and increase the limit. Being on land and not a boat, there is no "vessel limit". So, if you have 2 kids that do not need a license due to age, but you as a parent have a license, you can count the kids as "per person". This will allow for more total organisms to be harvested.

OP
OP
T

Tankandspank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, here is the rundown. I collect on a commercial license, but am very well versed in the recreational side of things.

You need to ensure you have a full support system for the critters. This is a gotcha if you do not. A bunket of water is not a support system. You MUST have a bubbler or circulation pump. One of the mini bait bubblers that takes 2x AA batteries is cheap and perfect.

You can take 5 of any species with a combined total of 20 organisms from however many species you decide upon. In short, no more than 5 of one species, no more than 20 of all combined.

Hermit crabs are allowed for harvest. Just not land hermits. So, you can keep 5 per day of any type of hermit. Red legs, white legs, blue legs, doesn't matter. Just no more than 5 total. Not 5 whites and 5 reds. Just 5 total of all types.

You can keep snails. That is not an issue. They are not specifically called out in the Marine Life list, but are referenced in "Other Marine Life Invertebrates". This would include nasarius, nerite, and Mexican turbos (if you can find them that far north). Same applies here, no more than 5 per day of all types combined. A snail is a snail when it comes to species. So again, not 5 nerite and 5 nassarius. Just 5 snails.

You can also keep 5 brittle stars or any other starfish you find, excluding Cushion sea stars.

You then have a 2 day potion limit that allows 10 of each species or 40 total organisms. This will not really apply, as that is more for boats and such. If you go back to hotel or house, and move to a cooler or something, the harvest is complete for that day. Do not go collect more. But the next day, it resets and you can go collect again.

To add to this, you can also collect macro. you are allowed one gallon per day. This means you can pack as much into 1 gallon as you want and be fine. Even if you have 4 gallons of water, as long as it will pack into a 1 gallon baggie, not issue. It could be 3 gallons expanded and not matter, just has to pack into a gallon bag in the end.

There is also the fact you can do multiple licenses and increase the limit. Being on land and not a boat, there is no "vessel limit". So, if you have 2 kids that do not need a license due to age, but you as a parent have a license, you can count the kids as "per person". This will allow for more total organisms to be harvested.
You are the man, Steve. Thanks so much for the run down. Incredibly helpful. I actually will be out on a bay boat too and can explore basically anywhere inshore. Any tips on where to find inverts/crabs/small fish for the tank? I was thinking just trying to find some grass flats or rocks near the bridges.

Now that I know how the FL collecting works... I am still interested in transport. Does anyone have any tips on crossing state lines with these animals?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are the man, Steve. Thanks so much for the run down. Incredibly helpful. I actually will be out on a bay boat too and can explore basically anywhere inshore. Any tips on where to find inverts/crabs/small fish for the tank? I was thinking just trying to find some grass flats or rocks near the bridges.

Now that I know how the FL collecting works... I am still interested in transport. Does anyone have any tips on crossing state lines with these animals?
No issues crossing state lines. It is for personal use, so nothing to worry about.

As for where to collect, grass beds, Rocky outcrops, basically anywhere with some structure.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I understand the importance of regulations and restrictions on such activities. However I wonder, to what extent are they implemented?

OP
OP
T

Tankandspank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand the importance of regulations and restrictions on such activities. However I wonder, to what extent are they implemented?
Assuming you meant to what extent are they enforced... I have no idea. I like to follow the rules though and do my part. I found this article though showing they are at least enforcing particularly egregious violations.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are in an area that gets patrolled, I'm sure they will asks questions if you are lugging around a bucket with critters in it.

Back in the 80s I used to collect all sorts of things off the beach in Massachusetts, we happened to be near the clamming flats and happened to have a couple of steamers in the bucket. The warden nicely came over and talked to my mom and us, we were underage and she got a ticket....it was only a $5 fine, clamming without a license I believe.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming you meant to what extent are they enforced... I have no idea. I like to follow the rules though and do my part. I found this article though showing they are at least enforcing particularly egregious violations.
yes that's what I meant I apologize english is my third language. Thanks for the article, that's crazy!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good call! I'll have to come up with a plan for where to find live rock.
I presume you are not collecting the rock, just the organisms that might be present? Live rock collection is forbidden on the website you provided. So is the collection of
  • Starsnails (Lithopoma americanum, Lithopoma tectum, Astralium phoebium)
I don't know what a starsnail is but they appear to be the only "snail" specifically listed, and they fall under the same general limit @Eagle_Steve spoke so eloquently about. :cool:

So things not on the list follow this reg:

"Recreational collection of up to 100 pounds or 2 organisms per person per day (whichever is greater) of unregulated species is permitted with a recreational saltwater fishing license. To collect greater quantities of unregulated species, a saltwater products license is required."

Thanks for posting the link to the regs. I have visited Florida before and wondered what the regulations on reefing collections were. This is very helpful.
Celebrate College World Series GIF by Vanderbilt Athletics

OP
OP
T

Tankandspank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I presume you are not collecting the rock, just the organisms that might be present? Live rock collection is forbidden on the website you provided. So is the collection of
I don't know what a starsnail is but they appear to be the only "snail" specifically listed, and they fall under the same general limit @Eagle_Steve spoke so eloquently about. :cool:

So things not on the list follow this reg:

"Recreational collection of up to 100 pounds or 2 organisms per person per day (whichever is greater) of unregulated species is permitted with a recreational saltwater fishing license. To collect greater quantities of unregulated species, a saltwater products license is required."

Thanks for posting the link to the regs. I have visited Florida before and wondered what the regulations on reefing collections were. This is very helpful.
Celebrate College World Series GIF by Vanderbilt Athletics
No definitely not collecting live rock. That is a no no. I just mean finding some very much alive rock with lots of critters that may be collectible.

Where are you seeing the bit about starsnails? I must be blind. I looked up those species though so I am familiar with their appearance and can avoid them.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Live rock like we put in our tanks, covered in macroalgae and corals and filter-feeders, mostly shows up at least somewhat offshore. Mostly in places far too deep to wade and collect. Fortunately, you don't need to actually find live rock to find live rock creatures- you just need rocks, period. I've found green porcelain crabs in 6 inches of water in a rocky little beach off a boat dock, underneath the rocks. You may also have luck finding them (and other critters) on docks or any other hard surface.

Look for crevices to hunt in, watch out for sharp edges, and immediately disinfect any cuts you get; you can get some really nasty infections cutting yourself on stuff in the ocean. Over here in Texas, there's flesh-destroying bacteria on our oystershells sometimes. Usually you don't want to disinfect wounds with anything harsh like rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide, you just want to rinse with soap and water to avoid damaging the remaining cells, but cutting yourself on a hard surface in warm water is absolutely a case for antibiotic ointment /at minimum/. Ideally, wear some gloves.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lithopoma are Astraea snails:
To the best of my knowledge, they are different species in the same genus, with the Spiny Astraea being Lithopoma phoebia, and the Turbo Astraea being Lithopoma tectum. That's my understanding.
+1. Lithopoma tectum is now accepted as Lithopoma americanum.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
when I was in key west last fall, I asked about keeping a couple of finds such as snails and crabs and was told , Not without a permit. A fisherman said it would be ok, but excursion boat said no

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like a lot of hassle for a handful of crabs and snails. Not to mention the inshore waters around the bay aren't exactly pristine these days. Fecal matter and all kinds of bad bacteria. No way I would introduce anything directly in my systems.

OP
OP
T

Tankandspank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like a lot of hassle for a handful of crabs and snails. Not to mention the inshore waters around the bay aren't exactly pristine these days. Fecal matter and all kinds of bad bacteria. No way I would introduce anything directly in my systems.
I already have a license and friends with a boat and everything so it’s more for fun and not much hassle or expense. You think the gulf is really that dirty? Hadn’t considered that

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back