Anyone dose All For Reef in ATO?

Ghost25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm at about 25g/5 gallons of kalkwasser in the ATO. Just got some really big pieces of SPS without considering how it will impact my calcium and alkalinity.

Thinking about getting some All For Reef and adding it to the ATO. My understanding is that it can be made much more concentrated than kalkwasser.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure where you calcium and alkalinity are right now, but if the new coral starts growing that may lower tank paramenters. If you want control over additions I think a dosing pump can provide better control than ato additions that vary with evaporation changes.

OP
OP
Ghost25

Ghost25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure where you calcium and alkalinity are right now, but if the new coral starts growing that may lower tank paramenters. If you want control over additions I think a dosing pump can provide better control than ato additions that vary with evaporation changes.
Yes I definitely anticipate it will consume more all and Ca, that's the problem. I'm getting close to saturation with the kalk.

I realize a dosing pump is ideal, I'm asking if anyone has had success putting AFR in the ATO because I would like to avoid buying a doser.

paintman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't you want to avoid running AFR through your ATO for the same reasons you shoudn't run Kalk through ATO?
1. Will clog pump at some point?
2. Different rates of evaporation based on the seasons causing flucuations in the dkh and ca?

OP
OP
Ghost25

Ghost25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't you want to avoid running AFR through your ATO for the same reasons you shoudn't run Kalk through ATO?
1. Will clog pump at some point?
2. Different rates of evaporation based on the seasons causing flucuations in the dkh and ca?
1. I've run kalk in the ATO for years with the same pump and it works fine. Plus AFR is supposed to be totally water soluble so I don't know how it would clog anything.

2. I'm sure it will vary somewhat but like I said I've been running kalk this way and it's been fine.

Last edited:

markwayts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm at about 25g/5 gallons of kalkwasser in the ATO. Just got some really big pieces of SPS without considering how it will impact my calcium and alkalinity.

Thinking about getting some All For Reef and adding it to the ATO. My understanding is that it can be made much more concentrated than kalkwasser.
I reached kalk saturation a long time ago. I used carbocalcium to make up the difference. Worked great. Very dense. I moved on to all for reef since it comes in powder now. I don't use ato though, I dose. I did watch a great video on using it in the ato from REEF DUDES on you tube. They broke down all the math.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lou of TM said it can be used just like kalkwasser. I'm considering using AFR in my reservoir. I use a Litermeter for my top up so there are no fluctuations.

kev.2013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just get a dosing pump for cheap…

seasonal changes can affect evaporation, especially when it’s cold/dry out.

A pump can easily be bought for $50 or less. I’d say do this and call it a day.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 37.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back