Anyone else buy these rocks from this seller?

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this guy is out of Nevada, it wouldn't surprise me that this "rock" isn't some kind of slag material left over from processing gypsum. Nevada has some large gypsum mines.
Trust me, I was messaging this seller and he was literally not telling me anything. In the end he said I have no idea what it is and where it came from. Meanwhile one of his eBay photos shows a crap done of dust.....

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One way to find out if it's rock or concrete.
Break some pieces off.
See if it has the holes and poursness inside. If not it's concrete

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210310_152537.jpg

"with love" ?

You've got to be kidding me. RUN AWAY!

Justin_Casper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you exactly off the Delaware River? I was at Hidden Reef in Bucks County PA last week and they have a pretty good selection of rock cycling.

I used cheap “concrete-like” rock like this in my first tank bc it was inexpensive and it just led to tons of algae and cyano and phosphate issues. Ended up using live rock on the next build and have had none of the issues.

Desert Sea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really think this looks like gypsum rock?
This is way off IMO.
No, its not gypsum in its natural state as mined, but it could be a clunker for some other industrial process. They produce cement by super heating limestone and other materials and then grinding the resulting clunkers to make cement. They use gypsum for a bunch of things including smelting steel. These could be clunkers that just haven't been ground up yet. Again, I have no idea what this guys is selling but if they came out of Nevada its a possibility.

Its strange that he can't tell you what it is though....maybe ask him where he got them from?

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, its not gypsum in its natural state as mined, but it could be a clunker for some other industrial process. They produce cement by super heating limestone and other materials and then grinding the resulting clunkers to make cement. They use gypsum for a bunch of things including smelting steel. These could be clunkers that just haven't been ground up yet. Again, I have no idea what this guys is selling but if they came out of Nevada its a possibility.

Its strange that he can't tell you what it is though....maybe ask him where he got them from?
I’m sorry for miss taking this information! You could be right! You’re very smart when it comes to rocks! rock geologist maybe?

I tried getting him to tell me and all he would say is some place in the desert. Asked him how come they have no red on the rocks from the dust that would’ve mixed onto them and he said he washed it off.... there’s zero chance of that...

The desert should put some sort or off color dust that you stain the rocks overtime. This rock doesn’t match that at all.
We need rock experts to jump in ASAP!
Also, please share anymore info you have! Love to know everything!

aquakj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do noy buy this just looking at the photos you can tell it looks like a ball of clay or plaster formed into a rock lol look when you try to cut corner you end up paying DOUBLE the price!!!!! so might as well pay full price the first time and receive quality! Try checking offer up or local LFS stores sometimes they do tank tear downs and sell the rock for really cheap thats how i got mine...and if not well just buy rock little by little but AVOID THIS PURCHASE!

A2dahlberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will just degrade in water, and the chemicals will seperate. Probably not a good idea. Maybe throw it in the garden for landscaping, but soon it will turn to du

If you bought the rock from the guy from eBay you need to return it ASAP for a refund. It’s not rock and has been clearly stated. EBAY has also pulled his reef rock items from his store.
TRUST ME, this is concrete.
It might look safe but if that crap chips in your tank, you’re going to have many other problems. It’s a reason why he’s on eBay and not here......
Is there people on here that sell rock?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back