Anyone else done with mp40s

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sick of replacing wet sides on my mp40s. Never again will I buy these dang things. I won’t even sell them to anyone else because I would feel bad they would need new wet sides every 6-10 months ridiculous for the price of wetsides I can buy jeboas yearly and not bother cleaning them. Rant over but seriously anyone else done.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sick of replacing wet sides on my mp40s. Never again will I buy these dang things. I won’t even sell them to anyone else because I would feel bad they would need new wet sides every 6-10 months ridiculous for the price of wetsides I can buy jeboas yearly and not bother cleaning them. Rant over but seriously anyone else done.
What is occurring with your wet sides? I'm 10 months in on mine and they are still spinning fine?

Utubereefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luckily my mp40’s work like a charm with a good bimonthly scrubbing…

Bubblebass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only issue with jeboa is that they rust quickly. Make sure you know that going in and replace often. I love MP40’s but doubt I’ll ever get them again with that price tag. Maybe used. But with the Nero’s, Ecotech needs to lower their price.

OP
OP
Dbichler

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prettty sure the bearings went bad again these things grind like crazy and now my controller is blinking red and green due to it not being able to spin. I could fix it but for 120 I can get comparable jebao like 2 others in my tank better bang for buck as they say

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
What is occurring with your wet sides? I'm 10 months in on mine and they are still spinning fine?
I had from mp10 to mp60. Although they would run ok for a year they start failing year 2 and always forced to buy new wetsite. Year 3 dry side. Alot of people would say oh if you get 2 years out of them is great!! No no, for $300 to $700 pumps they should run for a minimum of 5 years before they even think of failure.

Last edited:

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO the only thing that MP pumps offer is the magnetic coupling.

Imagine what will be offered when the patent expires.

Of course MPs will suddenly only cost $100 when that happens. Funny how that works.

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been done with them for years. Have a junk box full of them. Just was chatting about this on another post. I am a jabeo person now. Been running for several years no issues and a third of cost!

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
The one thing ecotech should really consider is at least a 5 year wanranty or even a life time warranty with how much they cost. Even if you have to pay extra with an extended warranty but that will never happen

Yodeling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swore off Vortechs many years ago. I think it was the first gen. They were the most temperamental powerheads I ever had. Also loud AF. I think they fixed that with their QD? The coolness factor (look ma, motor on the outside!) wore off quick. LOL.

OP
OP
Dbichler

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest point is this would you be happy to buy let’s say a 65 gallon custom tank for let’s say 800 cost of 2 mp40s. Would you be okay with it failing in two years or even 5. Then be told oh just replace a seam/ wet side for this and it continues to happen. Nope sorry done.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest point is this would you be happy to buy let’s say a 65 gallon custom tank for let’s say 800 cost of 2 mp40s. Would you be okay with it failing in two years or even 5. Then be told oh just replace a seam/ wet side for this and it continues to happen. Nope sorry done.
I have an old maxijet that is maybe 12 years old. Runs like a champ, all day, everyday...

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 MP60s 2 MP40s and an MP10. The MP10 is one of the old white ones. Still going.
I have bought several Jebao pumps and wavemakers. The pumps have done really well. The wavemakes not so much although I have 2 left that seem like they will live forever.

And one died because my crab attacked it. I wont hold that against them.
i-Rwc4RfF-L.jpg

Though one could argue the plastic should be strong enough that a small animal can't tear it apart.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back