Anyone else ever siphoned up a BTA by accident?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Halo_003
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Halo_003

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 13, 2016
Messages
99
Reaction score
74
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So last night at 945PM I’m doing a final water change before leaving at 4AM (today) for a week plus. Siphon tube gets caught on stand’s door, so I look down for a second to adjust and while I’m looking away I feel a jerk on the vacuuming end in the tank. Look up and a 5-6” green BTA had gotten sucked off the rock right into the tube (approx. 3/4” diameter, I use a vacuum made for 5G tanks that had 1/4” drain tube, so it was really lucky that I stopped it before it went into the actual siphon tube..
Further down the tube I folded it so it stopped siphoning, but the BTA was still in the vacuum part. I wish I had gotten a picture but I was in full panic at this point. So I detached the vacuum part for the tube and shook the nem out. It came out looking terrible, and shriveled and a couple of tentacles fell off.

368229C8-3353-4288-9F42-FB393A92315D.jpeg


No damage to the foot:

F6C57B22-3B6C-4A37-9645-EA82F52D2EDF.jpeg



After placing on the rock, it had reattached withIn a few minutes and partially inflated:

A42D181A-1C35-48DE-8906-92241C45E128.jpeg



20 minutes later:

9484FDEC-427F-419B-9683-A4C46F37EAC4.jpeg


4AM today:

264CA68A-B9B2-40D7-B949-0EFCB8E08713.jpeg


Currently closed up, checked via webcam, but I’ll add a picture when it’s open again. Such a relief that it seems to be okay though.
 
I accidentally siphoned my Condy anemone once it recovered the next day.
 
I sucked in a firefish... he went all the way through to the catch barrel.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 6 15.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 20.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 2.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new