Anyone else having connection issues lately?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have connection issues constantly with GHL Connect, either losing my connection entirely, or the dreaded "Please wait" message being displayed for an overlong period. I originally had my router giving the Profilux a fixed IP address, which the Profilux got from its DHCP query. Later, I told the profilux to use this IP address by telling it it had a fixed IP address. This was a big improvement, my connection issues virtually disappeared. Seems like the Profilux doesn't play well with DHCP. Then, just for grins, I installed a dedicated 2.4GHZ access point that's in the same room as the Profilux and is exclusively used by the Profilux. I'm not sure if this helped, my issues primarily seemed to go away when I set up the fixed IP address. But I know it's common advice for connection issues, and maybe the Profilux didn't like the mesh router I use.

So things were hunky-dory for a few weeks until about a week ago, when my connection issues started happening again. I didn't change anything at my end, so I'm wondering if the problem is at GHL's end. Is anyone else having connection issues? Strangely, I have the biggest problem when connecting directly to the profilux from the GHL Connect app, while on my home wifi. The app seems to do better if I have it connect through the myGHL connection. And I have the best success when connecting from a browser through myGHL.

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes this happens to me a lot.

And I also frequently have to go through initial setup again when the app starts and log back in. Super annoying.

And my push notifications are broken again. Last time it happened I had to contact support and it took weeks to fix. I’m not bothering again, e-mail is more reliable.

I advise everyone I know to stay away.

Gaël

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes this happens to me a lot.

And I also frequently have to go through initial setup again when the app starts and log back in. Super annoying.

And my push notifications are broken again. Last time it happened I had to contact support and it took weeks to fix. I’m not bothering again, e-mail is more reliable.

I advise everyone I know to stay away.
Just go to app settings and enable notifications again.

Gaël

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just go to app settings and enable notifications again.

Gaël

Yes but the app gets stuck on this screen permanently and I have to close the app.

64180439-45E2-4C1C-B7ED-7BA967A63513.jpeg

My last issue, support had to do something server side to fix it.

Notifications are either reliable or they are worthless. Push is not reliable, I have good reason not to trust it when I’m away, so it may as well stay broken. I don’t want to spend hours troubleshooting your product anymore.

Gaël

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but the app gets stuck on this screen permanently and I have to close the app.

64180439-45E2-4C1C-B7ED-7BA967A63513.jpeg

My last issue, support had to do something server side to fix it.

Notifications are either reliable or they are worthless. Push is not reliable, I have good reason not to trust it when I’m away, so it may as well stay broken. I don’t want to spend hours troubleshooting your product anymore.
When you go to Myghl.com, do you see your profilux4 in one copy and nothing else and does it work when you click on it?

Gaël

OP
OP
D

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you use a fixed IP adress - try with this DNS adress 8.8.8.8 - in the past - it was a good trick with profilux.

Sincerely Lasse
I use 4.2.2.1, same difference. That’s not the cause of my problem, but thanks anyway.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my experience (I have a ticket open as well).

I design/build networks and distributed networks for a living.
Dedicated 2.4GHz in same room (-31db) to P4 and gigabit fiber network for WAN.
I don't have "internet" latency problems or dropped packets.

My local connection directly to P4 web interface is fast except for charts and dosing pumps on the dashboard (30 seconds to never). I presume because even connected directly to the P4 local web interface, some of the data comes from the GHL cloud and NOT directly from the P4.

My connection from home or away to myGHL web or via Connect App works but once dashboard starts to load it is very often horribly slow. Some days are not terrible, but on average I wait for 30 seconds to 1+ min for charts to load, if they ever load. More often than not charts (and often dosing pumps) just spins.

30 Seconds is an eternity to wait on a dashboard to render every time it is loaded or an item is clicked.

Also - If the APP is left open, I must close it and restart or things don't work properly. The same with web connection. If the dashboard is left open I often can't just click on a chart or sensor, things just spin. Also clicking on other menu items causes spinning disc. I have to restart the app as well. So click...wait, close app and open app, wait... It is just such a terrible user experience.

I am asked to go through the setup screens for data/cloud again for the devices sometimes. Not sure what causes this.

Sometimes dashboard items are missing and have to be added back. Almost like an "old" version replaced the saved version. (Like you forget to use the checkmark after the paintbrush).

I have 1 Mac Desktop, 2 Mac Laptops, iPad and iPhone.

I very much like the P4 and the components that I have purchased so far (close to $5K). The P4 itself feels stable and other than a few quirks with dosing pumps (hopefully addressed soon) and a few firmware update quirks/issues, I have not had problems.

With that said, the dashboard is the day-to-day human interface to the P4/Aquarium and I am extremely displeased with the GHL cloud speed and the way that the dashboard actually works.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 4.2.2.1, same difference. That’s not the cause of my problem, but thanks anyway.
A few notes

I would NEVER use 4.2.2.1, 4.4.4.4 or 4.2.2.2 or any of widely (or lesser known) Level 3 variants. They were never meant for public use and are not as reliable as they once were (when nobody but network gurus knew about them). In fact, they are actually pretty bad very often. Though I am sure this is not your issue.

I am also not a fan of 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 for many things - while that is Google's public DNS and is very fast, it too has had its share of quirks and caching issues and google is not at all transparent about what they do (ironically, they have a dns/domain transparency report that is anything but).

I typically use/recommend the quad9 DNS at 9.9.9.9
It is super fast, and they work actively to shut down malware/bot networks while at the same time being honest/open about what they do.

OP
OP
D

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started using 4.2.2.1 many many years ago, when I realized the DNS from my ISP was unreliable. I'll try 9.9.9.9, but in any case, I really don't think that's relevant to my issue.

My issue does seem similar to yours, although I've never had the crazy load times you talk about. But my load times are still poor. Having to "please wait" for the app to receive what can't be more than a few hundred bytes, is ridiculous over a 1GB connection. But my behavior has gotten much worse in the past week or so. So I'm still wondering - did something just change? It seems to coincide with when that last update came out.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started using 4.2.2.1 many many years ago, when I realized the DNS from my ISP was unreliable. I'll try 9.9.9.9, but in any case, I really don't think that's relevant to my issue.

My issue does seem similar to yours, although I've never had the crazy load times you talk about. But my load times are still poor. Having to "please wait" for the app to receive what can't be more than a few hundred bytes, is ridiculous over a 1GB connection. But my behavior has gotten much worse in the past week or so. So I'm still wondering - did something just change? It seems to coincide with when that last update came out.
yeah the DNS is not the issue for sure. The load times in general are poor, some days better than others. On a good day, i would not call them good, but maybe barely acceptable.

OP
OP
D

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the really strange thing is that I have more success connecting through myghl than I do connecting directly to the Profilux over Wi-Fi. That seems truly bizarre.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What app version and FW do you have on your WiFi device? You find actual FW here
1676269634262.png

And the local web interface you get if you connect locally (blue marking) and klick on the sign to the right (red marking)

1676269909108.png

Following window opens - click support and info

1676270022644.png

Here you see the app version (I do not have the latest - its V3.22.22) !

The latest you always finds here

EDIT - in my first version I wrote like this

BUT - I would not do an update for the moment - I did and I get a very strange version 0.18.3, @Gaël or @Vinny@GHLUSA - what is this? When I looked at the menu - it stops after network

I have downgrade to 3.22.5 again and it works
1676273868653.png

I contact @Gaël and he did a download too - He did not get the same bad result. It turns out that something probably happened when I extract the first download and I get a corrupt folder. The folder - after the extraction should look like this - nothing else

1676281786122.png

It works now

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the really strange thing is that I have more success connecting through myghl than I do connecting directly to the Profilux over Wi-Fi. That seems truly bizarre.

I am just the opposite. I get tired of looking at gray boxes when I try to connect through myGHL. Ten minutes since I opened my dashboard this morning and the sensor box is still loading. I had to take graphs off of my dash board.

OP
OP
D

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What app version and FW do you have on your WiFi device? You find actual FW here
1676269634262.png

And the local web interface you get if you connect locally (blue marking) and klick on the sign to the right (red marking)

1676269909108.png

Following window opens - click support and info

1676270022644.png

Here you see the app version (I do not have the latest - its V3.22.22) !

The latest you always finds here

EDIT - in my first version I wrote like this

I contact @Gaël and he did a download too - He did not get the same bad result. It turns out that something probably happened when I extract the first download and I get a corrupt folder. The folder - after the extraction should look like this - nothing else

1676281786122.png

It works now

Sincerely Lasse
I'm on wifi firmware version 7132, app version 3.22.22. I didn't know you had to update the wifi firmware in a separate step. Worth a try, thanks Lasse!

OP
OP
D

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp, updating the wifi firmware didn't help. If anything, it's worse. Frequent disconnects, and it still seems to work better if I connect through MyGHL, rather than a local connection. And I can't connect to the hotspot at all, even standing 3 feet away from the Profilux. I'm not sure if it was like that before the firmware update, I don't normally connect through the hotspot. But if I put my phone on the hotspot wifi network, and try to connect, I get connection failed. I tried pinging the profilux from my phone (again, standing 3 feet away), and there were a fair number of lost packets, so maybe that's a clue.

Gaël

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp, updating the wifi firmware didn't help. If anything, it's worse. Frequent disconnects, and it still seems to work better if I connect through MyGHL, rather than a local connection. And I can't connect to the hotspot at all, even standing 3 feet away from the Profilux. I'm not sure if it was like that before the firmware update, I don't normally connect through the hotspot. But if I put my phone on the hotspot wifi network, and try to connect, I get connection failed. I tried pinging the profilux from my phone (again, standing 3 feet away), and there were a fair number of lost packets, so maybe that's a clue.
depending on the phone when you connect to the hotspot there is a message saying that this network does not have internet, I noticed that if you do not validate by clicking on continue or stay connected it blocks the access.

Gaël

OP
OP
D

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried hitting continue, as well as telling it to use cellular data. I still can't connect to the hotspot. And what about the dropped packets when I ping the profilux. Is that normal?

And does it make sense that my phone can connect to the MyGHL connection, but has very spotty connection to the Profilux over local wifi?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back