Anyone else trade stocks

B-ridge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As we all know hobbies can be very addicting. If it’s not one thing it’s another. For the last few months I have taken up another hobby besides reef keeping. I now pay close attention to the stock market. I used to watch it periodically but nothing like how I do now. I took advantage of most of the stocks dropping to record lows because of the Covid 19 pandemic. Stocks that are now trading for $200/$300 i was able to snatch them up for pennies on the dollar way back in March. Some doing well. Others not to well. But I’m happy cause I’m in the black and not the red. So now my stick market hobby pays for my reefing hobby. Anyone else buy stocks?

Tyler Flynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i had some extra money i would have bought a bunch, but my existing took a hit so i was unable to buy more.
I have a list of high dividend stocks i keep an eye on for when do get some extra cash

OP
OP
B

B-ridge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my best and smartest decisions so far was to buy Tesla stock back in March when it was as low as $36. I unfortunately waited too long and bought in at $53. Today Tesla is trading at $422. I keep telling myself to sell now why I have the chance but the devil inside of me tells me to wait until it hits $500. Not sure if it will though.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't mess with it. You talk about the coral name game not following logic, the stock market really doesn't follow it. Our company's stock went way up once and the CEO was asked why it went up. His reply was, I have no idea. The stock market itself didn't go up and there had been no new financial information released or market changes. it was just purely someone bought high which triggered someone else to buy and so on, purely emotion driven. The market itself is no longer in sync with the economy. It is a game for the big boys and mutual funds. Our CEO would always say our big day would be when we hit the fortune 500 list (and then the 100 list). Then there would be a huge list of mutual funds that would be required to buy our stock and our stock price would spike on that day, and that is what happened. Just not a game I want to play.

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Investing ANY cash long term has massive advantages. Everyone who has the means should invest their money in some sort of way, whether it be stocks, IRA's, 401K, Mutual Funds, CD's, Realestate, whatever works for you. Don't leave your money in your savings for it to lose value or earn a measly 0.01%. Investing even small amounts over time, with compounded interest is extremely beneficial.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking at GE stock lately. The took a huge hit when the airline industry crashed, but they recently sold a bunch of stuff and biggest for me, they kicked their coal fired electrical generating infrastructure and are reinvesting in alternative energy. Its a monster company and its trading at like $6 a share.

Awesome Dennis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@B-ridge I’ve gotten more an more into it over the last 1-2 years. I started dropping real money into my trading account during the dip from covid.
I looooove my Tesla and will be holding for a long while.
I’ve also been buying WKHS and WMT.
Who doesn’t love a “Green” Day.

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got into Webull after hearing about their free stock thing. Got $15 in free stock and then had a buddy sign up and used my code and got another $26 in free stock.

I had seen an overview of electric trucks and was really impressed by the Nikola Badger. I ended up buying some Nikola and doubled my money before getting out. Missed tripling it b/c I was on the road.

Now I have some solar stock and some EV stock that is trending up. Just bought a couple shares of apple. Have a couple shares of this or that that have pretty decent dividends. I'm still a small time player with an account value under 2k but trying to manage and learn while slowly adding a little extra cash here or there to pick up a stock or two.

What I am learning is often a stock value is based more on market manipulation rather than a companies performance. That's the most frustrating thing.

OP
OP
B

B-ridge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to revisit this and see how everyone else was doing.
my update. Tesla has been a gold mine for me. Wish I would of bought more when I bought it last March but the 25 shares that I did buy are doing quite well. Paid $36/share now trading at over $800/share.
my most surprising stock has been GameStop. I didn’t even realize I had it until I saw my account go up crazy in 1 day. Turned on CNBC and GameStop was all over the place. Got out before the dip thankfully. Other than that hit and misses.
my next 2 buys are gonna be ocugen and kraken robotics. Both cheap as heck right now. I’m estimating they go up crazy in the upcoming weeks

OP
OP
B

B-ridge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the person who pm’d me(don’t worry I’ll keep you nameless) and anyone else thinking it. No I am not trying to brag about anything. Just giving my opinions and facts on my experiences so far. If I could help 1 person in this time of crisis I feel as I did my job as a decent human being. If it was up to me every person that I told about Tesla last March would of bought in. Some did. Some didn’t. It’s a gamble. Win some lose some. I will continue to give my suggestions as well as I hope others do also. And any questions if I can help or answer I will. By no means am I a expert. Just lucky I guess

VermontReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m an avid follower of business and subsequently the stock market. I trade primarily long positions. Tesla, Tilray, Apple to name a few. I dipped into GME at the beginning of the short and made some cash. Then lost some cash but enough to splurge on a new Cade 1200 and all the goodies Its definitely a fun & addictive habit similar to reefing.

VermontReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lot hate relationship with Tilray. Their IPO was squeezed to the mid 300's from $30 a share in a matter of hours a couple years ago. I was involved however I didnt know what a short squeeze was at the time lol. I rode the train with 200 shares @ $70 to $300 and back down to barely $150 b4 I sold not understanding what the heck was going on at the time. I got really lucky that I didnt lose it all.

I believe with legalization potentially looming they are a decent buy especially at sub $20. Who are you buying right now?

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pump and dump time, lol. Be careful out there. Anyone who bought in March has done well.......

OP
OP
B

B-ridge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@VermontReef well played on the tilray. Sure you learned a lot during that time. I as well am still learning everyday also
After doing some research I decided to buy into aphria since they bought out tilray. Aphria stick is lower right now but with the takeover it should go up to tilray price or higher potentially making a profit off that alone.
right now I’m big on ocugen. Kraken robotics. Fuel cell. Nio. Tuscan holdings. Apple. Palantir. Asana. Marvel. Nuance. Space. GM. Qualatrics. Uber. Plug power. Luminar. Velodyne. Just to name a few off the top of my head

Back