Anyone ever tried vodka and H2O2 at the same time?

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought I'd throw this question out and see what all might say. I need to dose vodka, but am concerned that w/o a skimmer, I would lose fish and coral. That is where I thought H2O2 might counter react this. Any thoughts????? I wouldn't be asking to put H2O2 at the same time if my skimmer (kinda cheap and broken down DIY) had not gave up on me. I can try to use this diy skimmer until my new one arrives. I could use a air stone (or several) in the DT. :squigglemouth: Any thoughts and help would be great.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iirc you are battling cyano correct???? How many gallons is the tank and sump??? I would just stay on the low side like 1ml per 100 gal for the vodka not sure if the h2o2 will do anything for it..... When I was battling dinos I used the h2o2 with great sucsess.... If anything use microbacter 7 and a small dose of vodka and see what happens..... Hth..

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leaving the house soon to get mb7, getting everything in order incase I see me tangs breathing heavy and not wanting to loose them. Thanks

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try the mb7 first by it's self and use it according to the directions on the bottle it should cure the problem by it's self.... Kick the vodka in after a week or 2 if you don't see any improvements....

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good, never really tried it before, so I'll repost after starting it tonight. Will it have any ill effects on my tangs or corals?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only affects you are gonna notice is sparkly clean water and colors you never seen before on your corals....1smile1

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear, once the cyano took over, everything (all my softies and lps corals except the acans) looks like it needs a check up. Most of this is caused by lack of support from a "good skimmer" imo.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be the problem lol..... What I do when I have that nuisance is place some filter pads in the baffles of my sump crank the power heads up all the way an use a turkey Baster to blast all the rocks and cyano and get it in the water colum leave the pads in until the tank clears up "2 to 3 hours" and remove the pads works very well..... I just did this yesterday when I cleaned all my rocks from detrius and little patches of cyano..... Hth

Last edited:

Gillguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I've never tried H202 but I have read it works great. The only time I had a Cyano outbreak I used Chemi Clean with huge success. I do agree with Troylee but I would even go as far as scrubbing the Cyano off the rocks and make sure you have some floss or pads to physically capture the Cyano. However, this works well if you have a sump with a sock and not bio balls. If you have bio balls you will never get rid of the Cyano because they are in the balls. Also, I would save money and get a good skimmer.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchased the mb7, started first dose. We will see. Hopefully this works. I didn't trust my tests, so I allowed the lfs to see what they got. All appeared within good range..... except nitrate. A little high but manageable with wc and mb7 in my .02

Gillguy: would save money and get a good skimmer

I just purchased a SWC 160 and it will be in hopefully Wed to handle the job

Thanks

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bulbs are 6 months old. Cyano isn't spreading nut still around. Directed flow in more areas today.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 64 43.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 47.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.9%
Back