Anyone Ever Try Feeding Orange Spotted Filefish With Grindal or White Worms

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, let me just say i haven't bought one of these fish although I'd love one. I know they eat SPS in the wild but was wondering if anyone's tried feeding them Grindal worms or white worms which most fish can't resist to entice them to eat...has anyone ever tried this before?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poking around on here I don't see any mention of that, but Masstick 5X each day seems to work.

I expect these fishes are highly social, so holding them in your hand and telling them to "eat and enjoy the artificial reef," as you hand place them in the tank is probably very helpful with them for easing acclimation stress and alternative food acceptance?

Do the fish you see there look healthy or hungry? I couldn't resist trying myself if I thought they had a chance and if I had a place for them.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poking around on here I don't see any mention of that, but Masstick 5X each day seems to work.

I expect these fishes are highly social, so holding them in your hand and telling them to "eat and enjoy the artificial reef," as you hand place them in the tank is probably very helpful with them for easing acclimation stress and alternative food acceptance?

Do the fish you see there look healthy or hungry? I couldn't resist trying myself if I thought they had a chance and if I had a place for them.
Yeah, i wouldn't think they'd appreciate your hand going in there 5x a day either...

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, i wouldn't think they'd appreciate your hand going in there 5x a day either...

Well fish quickly recognize the hand as the bringer of food and practically swim right into your fingers with excitement. Except clownfish which bite the tender parts between the fingers …jerks.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone here keeps like 6? Of them just fine. I would just copy them and feed what they feed.

They were also captive bred before so that is another article I would go read.

Seems they should be doable in a tank fit to their needs and some special care.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone here keeps like 6? Of them just fine. I would just copy them and feed what they feed.

They were also captive bred before so that is another article I would go read.

Seems they should be doable in a tank fit to their needs and some special care.
08060AB6-7E4F-4B3B-8FAB-E3B5BFE85FCE.jpeg
535CBE79-F77B-4D98-8289-19DD5D1FB7D6.jpeg
EDC7A2CA-BD78-428B-81BB-D4FB5EA48596.jpeg

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 33 26.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back