Anyone got any funny stories?

be_ninja_pancake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I'm only a month into the saltwater hobby, I figured I'd ask if anyone had any funny stories to share during their experience with the hobby.

For me, when I first got my corals, fish, inverts, and shrimp, my partner and I were putting them all in the tank one at a time. Lastly, before we put in the corals, we put in the fire dart fish, Phoenix. Well, since my partner had helped a bunch in setting up the tank, I thought I'd be self sufficient and put Phoenix in myself. I didn't grab him the right way and he wriggled right out of my hand and straight into the sump!

I started to freak out and cry since I'm so new to the hobby that I didn't know the sump wasn't bad for him to be in (for reference, I have an Innovative Marine 15 gal tank where the sump is directly behind the tank). After my 15 minute breakdown, my partner and I proceeded to try to get Phoenix out of the sump because it wouldn't be that hard, right? WRONG!

Phoenix was extremely smart and slippery. We were both surprised he managed to outsmart two engineering students! The net was super bulky and the sump was super dark, so not only could we not see him, I could barely move around the net to even get him before he darted away! This little bugger made us take out 2 WHOLE GALLONS of water until he had barely any room left to swim in the sump. Mind you, the siphon we used wasn't of the best quality either, and my partner struggled to get it started a few times as well as got some salt and fish poop in his mouth :face-with-tears-of-joy:

We FINALLY got him into the tank with a swift motion of the net and all was well! He looked super happy after we put him in. As he was smiling up at me, I flipped him off and cursed at him a bit because I was so worried about him :face-with-tears-of-joy::face-with-tears-of-joy::face-with-tears-of-joy:

Gosh, I love Phoenix so much and would do anything for him, but he was such a little pain the day that we got him. It makes me think that this is what having kids is like.

Anyone else have similar stories of their saltwater escapades?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang firefish lol - back when I had a fluval 13.5 it would swim into the sump through a small hole. Had a gramma do the same thing. Make sure you have a tight lid - these guys are great jumpers.

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I walked into my LFS and asked them to order me a blue ring octopus. I was joking cause I ask them for crazy things all the time. They took me serious and gave me the paperwork to agree I know what I was doing lol.

Well, after the joke was over, next came a less funny story.. they told me a story that I found pretty chilling. Apparently some lady came in trying to order a blue ring... now the area I’m from ain’t the wisest, and she started asking some... very scary questions like what would happen if her husband stuck his hand in, would it be aggressive while cleaning, etc. She only cancelled the idea when they also asked her to sign papers, and even if she did the store owner would never actually try to get it in for her but basically “hostage” her from looking somewhere else. It could’ve been a murder attempt.

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many years ago I had a glass sleeve heater that somehow cracked in the water. And when that happened it shot the heating element out of the tank. And it landed on the floor. Plastic laminate type junk. It’s was still live. And preceded to start a small fire. This was when we were asleep. Dog started sorta barking. Wife woke up. I slept threw it all till she woke me up. I bad damage or anything. She like to joke about it now

hoffmeyerz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sitting around one beautiful day and I thought to myself....I should setup a saltwater aquarium.....I heard it's pretty easy....
Rimshot Drum Joke GIF

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 34 33.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back