Anyone got experience with moving tanks?

Gabe aqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Fam is planning on buying a new house and I have some nice coral all LPs and softies and some fish that have gotten big I don’t wanna lose anything if possible so looking for advice?

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40 mins isn’t bad at all. I would recommend doing the move all at once in one day and have everything you need ready to go. Get as many 10gal buckets WITH lids (LFS should have lots of them or get them at Lowe’s or Home Depot).

Fish and coral go in their own buckets and should stay inside while you get the tank ready to move. If you have a lot of live rock, that can go into a brute trash can or multiple buckets with little or no water for the time being.

The tank will need to be loaded, moved, and set up before moving the fish and coral. Try to keep as much water as possible if not have a new batch ready to go once the tank is set up.

As long as you have everything planned out and ready to go, with some extra hands to help you should be fine. Just be extra careful moving, loading, unloading, and setting up the tank. I’ve moved two large tanks before and this is the most challenging part of any move! Best of luck!!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

Gabe aqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40 mins isn’t bad at all. I would recommend doing the move all at once in one day and have everything you need ready to go. Get as many 10gal buckets WITH lids (LFS should have lots of them or get them at Lowe’s or Home Depot).

Fish and coral go in their own buckets and should stay inside while you get the tank ready to move. If you have a lot of live rock, that can go into a brute trash can or multiple buckets with little or no water for the time being.

The tank will need to be loaded, moved, and set up before moving the fish and coral. Try to keep as much water as possible if not have a new batch ready to go once the tank is set up.

As long as you have everything planned out and ready to go, with some extra hands to help you should be fine. Just be extra careful moving, loading, unloading, and setting up the tank. I’ve moved two large tanks before and this is the most challenging part of any move! Best of luck!!!
Thanks a lot

Upvote 0

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have moved tanks a few times and am currently prepping for a 5.5hr move. i like to have a spare tank that I keep the fish and coral in when I get tonthe new house. That way I am not rushed when setting the tank back up. Definitely stock up on 5g buckets with lids and prep some extra water. You'll be happy you have it. I travel with about 75% of my tank volume as fresh water. You can never have too much and it is easy tovhave not enough. If you have the available time, I would set up a smaller tank for the fish and coral in the old house. Leave them there while you are moving the tank and getting it prepped. if you are reusing old sand, rinse it out and give the tank a few days to process any extra waste. Then bring the coral and fish over. Treat as though you just got them from the lfs.

I expect my transfer to take about 4-5 days. We lose a few days due to the stand being on the moving truck. If it takes longer, no worries as the fish, coral, and live rock will be in heatered water woth pumps.

Upvote 0

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you might need a few small heaters and air pumps to keep things going during the move, it’s winter time so a few hours in a bucket could be fatal without water flow and heat

Upvote 0

forge55b

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got this! Where you are at the weather isn't super cold so unless you are just keeping stuff outside, I think you won't have any issues with the transport.

Upvote 0

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I would get a container such as a livestock tub from your local feed store and set it up at the new location.
Add flow, heater, and then move the live stock over first, then move the tank and equipment. Then you won't be in such a hurry to get everything done in a day. The livestock will fine in a temporary home for a couple days if needed.

Upvote 0

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t over think it! It’s painless and simple! Use new sand thou or clean yours really well before filling the tank back up! I use large coolers myself when moving tanks around town and use all new water and sand with existing rocks.

Upvote 0

slowwrx137

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I used to have a 90 gallon tank that I moved around town a few times while I lived in various apartments back in the day. I had a large puffer and snowflake eel so they each got their own 5 gallon bucket, the rest of the livestock went into its own bucket (corals/small fish), I put my live rock in buckets/Brute trashcan with the existing salt water.

I transported everything in one trip, once at the new apartment, I put the rock, livestock, and existing water back into the tank with heater and powerheads but kept it below the overflow so I could take my time setting up the sump/equipment.

Moved the tank 3 times in 3-4 years without any issues/loss doing it this way.

Upvote 0

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Agree with all of this, but you are gonna want 5 gallon buckets...

Upvote 0

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 91 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back