Anyone Have a JBJ Rimless 65 Gallon AIO?

McCarrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! I know this is an old thread but did anyone make any major equipment updates? I've had my tank for just about a year, it was used when I got it. I'm wanting to add a Skimmer to it also. I do have a build thread going (it's a slow process) if anyone is interested. I'm about to build a new stand for it since they aren't super water compatible being made out of particle board. I have blue prints for it if anyone is interested also.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! I know this is an old thread but did anyone make any major equipment updates? I've had my tank for just about a year, it was used when I got it. I'm wanting to add a Skimmer to it also. I do have a build thread going (it's a slow process) if anyone is interested. I'm about to build a new stand for it since they aren't super water compatible being made out of particle board. I have blue prints for it if anyone is interested also.

I'm almost done with my stand build for a used JBJ 65 RFP I picked up.

What equipment upgrades are you looking for? I upgraded to a single DC return pump and inTank media baskets so far. I'll be running three 26HDs upgraded to Luxdium LED pucks, a Helio dual element (100w and 200w) heater, Kamoer X5S 5-head doser and a few other goodies.

McCarrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm almost done with my stand build for a used JBJ 65 RFP I picked up.

What equipment upgrades are you looking for? I upgraded to a single DC return pump and inTank media baskets so far. I'll be running three 26HDs upgraded to Luxdium LED pucks, a Helio dual element (100w and 200w) heater, Kamoer X5S 5-head doser and a few other goodies.
Right now my return pumps are doing okay. I don't have any coral in the tank yet since it's in QT still and I'm still acclimating my tank to the lights. I picked up two radion g1 xr30s from another reefer on here and so I've started at 10% maximum brightness. Today I'll probably go up to 15% and see where we are at. I'm going to get a par meter and do a bunch of tests and various brightness and see what the par is. I'll post results if anyone is interested. I'm looking to get a Skimmer that will work in the tank. Right now I have a really small Skimmer that I've opted to run in my 16g biocube since it seems that it's a better size match for that tank. The next things I'm wanting to upgrade is probably the heater- or at least add a second one and start making some sort of controller for my equipment. After that I want to upgrade my powerheads to something with variable flow. I don't have a ton of money so it's all slow and steady and finding the right deal right now! I did also add an ATO from Amazon and it works really well. The only thing is that salt creep covers the sensor sometimes and it makes it think that it's full and doesn't refill- better than over filling ! So I might move my return for thr ATO so it flows over the sensor and washes it off essentially. We'll see if it makes the sensor thing that it's full when it's being "washed".

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now my return pumps are doing okay. I don't have any coral in the tank yet since it's in QT still and I'm still acclimating my tank to the lights. I picked up two radion g1 xr30s from another reefer on here and so I've started at 10% maximum brightness. Today I'll probably go up to 15% and see where we are at. I'm going to get a par meter and do a bunch of tests and various brightness and see what the par is. I'll post results if anyone is interested. I'm looking to get a Skimmer that will work in the tank. Right now I have a really small Skimmer that I've opted to run in my 16g biocube since it seems that it's a better size match for that tank. The next things I'm wanting to upgrade is probably the heater- or at least add a second one and start making some sort of controller for my equipment. After that I want to upgrade my powerheads to something with variable flow. I don't have a ton of money so it's all slow and steady and finding the right deal right now! I did also add an ATO from Amazon and it works really well. The only thing is that salt creep covers the sensor sometimes and it makes it think that it's full and doesn't refill- better than over filling ! So I might move my return for thr ATO so it flows over the sensor and washes it off essentially. We'll see if it makes the sensor thing that it's full when it's being "washed".

For flow on a budget, definitely look into Jebao powerheads and/or gyres. I'm still deciding which way I want to go for flow in my tank. I'm thinking a pair of gyres would be pretty nice for the mixed reef I plan to have in the tank with SPS up high and LPS/softies down low. I actually have four MP10s I was planning on using, but I'm thinking the gyres would make for a "clean" look and still provide the flow I'll need.

I've been playing with Jebao's tiniest gyre (ECP-50m) lately, and I think I could make 2 of the larger ones work for what I need.

In addition to upgrading the return pump, I also added a pair of 19mm drop adapters and two Random Flow Generators from Vivid Creative Aquatics.

McCarrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have one. Been up and running since late October. Still no coral so its a FOWLR as of right now. About a dozen fish. Also still waiting for my Clearview lid before adding coral. Hopefully that shows up within the next two weeks or so.
2 Kessil a360's
Tunze 9004 Skimmer
Drop Algae Scrubber (Santa Monica Filtrations)
Red Sea Media Cups (ditched the filter socks)
Tunze Osmolator 3155 ATO
2 Colbat Aquatic Neo-therm heaters
Sorry about bringing up an old post but what was your stocking in that tank?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back