Anyone have experience with FixICK ?

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t used this product but Two Little Fishes Revive coral dip has “citrus limon” in it. Which is basically lemon. Not sure if they’re using an extract like D-limonene. The bottle says it contains 0.5% but it has a very strong lemony scent so I’d assume it’s some sort of extract. I dip everything that goes in my tank and haven’t encountered ich yet. Fingers crossed. Oldest fish are almost 2 years old and I didn’t QT them. Is lemon the secret cure?

you dipped your fish in revive? :eek: :D :p

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Revive is for coral and not fish and can be lethal to fish - hope you meant coral

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Revive is for coral and not fish and can be lethal to fish - hope you meant coral
It says on the bottle it’s for corals and anemones only but it does say “not intended for fish meant for human consumption”. Strange wording.

ichthyoid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you perhaps explain the phrase " Protein prenylation in eukarytic cells" First I thought oh.. it is some kind of lipid productiin inhibitor but that phrase makes me think that only some organisms have this prenylation and that is why it targets them?

I got an A in anatomy physiology but a C in O chem. That was over 20 years ago though. Its kind of funny, i remember a video about photosytheis in 3rd grade. It was a cartoon and the charecters hid behind a curtain because at the time they didn't know how exactly the process worked. Lol

Prokaryotes are simpler types of cells which lack a true nucleus and other specialized organelles, while eukaryotes are more highly developed & have those structures.

Prenylation is a modification to cellular proteins in which lipid chains (isoprenes) are attached giving them hydrophobic segments. This affects their location & function within the cell structure.

This modification may help regulate signal transmission or chemical transport, for example. Disruption of these structures may derugulate and/or interrupt those processes.

Fwiw,
Some gardeners (me included) spray d-Limonene solution on weeds which disrupts the lipid cell membrane, causing dehydration & death & it’s ‘organic’.

I love o-chem, physics too, equally ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
pdxmonkeyboy

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, thought i would post an update. Its day 4? And no signs of any infection. It is day 3 of the treatment so big water change and redose tomorrow.

OP
OP
pdxmonkeyboy

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So another update. I have dosed the tank a total of five times. I did three doses, then took 3-4 days off because I ran out of salt. Did a 40% water changed and dosed once a day for the last two days.

Still no signs of ich or ich like behavior. So I guess now comes the question.. Do I risk transferring the fish to my DT that I know is ich free? Maybe keep them in isolation/observation a little longer?

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Might be a good read, credit goes to @Humblefish for digging it up.

Basically confirms that it's nothing really revolutionary and has been used since as far back as the 1930s. The fact that it's banned for use in fish for human consumption is interesting. Also it seems as if it's targeted more towards tearing FW variants (raising temp is commonly used in FW to help with parasites).

I guess we will see, looking forward to your results. But I don't think I'll be throwing my stash of chloroquine phosphate quite yet.

h2so4hurts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So another update. I have dosed the tank a total of five times. I did three doses, then took 3-4 days off because I ran out of salt. Did a 40% water changed and dosed once a day for the last two days.

Still no signs of ich or ich like behavior. So I guess now comes the question.. Do I risk transferring the fish to my DT that I know is ich free? Maybe keep them in isolation/observation a little longer?
How do you know they're crypto free? The max incubation time between cycles is 8 days. Minimum treatment time with methods that have proven efficacy is 14 days with an additional 14 days of observation.

OP
OP
pdxmonkeyboy

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know they are cryto free... nobody can know and i guesss, and that is what i am worried about.

I am going to get some mollies today after work. At the very least it does appear to be working and without the testing or apparant harshness of copper.

I would like to get a fish covered in ich and see how it does.

h2so4hurts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know they are cryto free... nobody can know and i guesss, and that is what i am worried about.

I am going to get some mollies today after work. At the very least it does appear to be working and without the testing or apparant harshness of copper.

I would like to get a fish covered in ich and see how it does.

I wouldn't draw that conclusion at all until they've been spot free for a month. Crypto is well known for reappearing after a week or so of being "cured."

OP
OP
pdxmonkeyboy

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize this. I have had fish carry ich for a year and not show it until a new, large, and aggressive fish was added.

I am toying with the idea of having the tank water tested for the presence of cryptocaryon genetics. I did not see any tormonts when I added the fish to the tank, nor have I seen any since.

Mattiejay6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@pdxmonkeyboy here is a blurb from humble.fish on the mollies.

“ A freshwater black molly will have no immunity whatsoever to marine diseases, thus making it probable for visible symptoms to show. And evidence of ectoparasites (e.g. ich, velvet, brook) will show up as white spots on a black molly or translucent if a tankmate has flukes.”

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back