Anyone have experience with Kessil failure modes?

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Joined
Oct 1, 2015
Messages
5,851
Reaction score
9,613
Location
Gulf Breeze, Florida
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one Kessil A360WE that seems to be shorted or something. Is short circuiting a common issue? It appears to overload the power supply, then the power supply trips off to protect itself. Once I unplug the power supply for a minute or two, it resets and provides the normal 19VDC output. The Kessil ohms out at around 3 ohms from the positive to negative terminals on the power cord, so that doesn't appear to be shorted (or does it?).

Thoughts? Any ideas how to get one of these back up and running?
 
Whens the last time they were cleaned? Overheating can cause shutdown issues
 
Oh wow that is interesting. I have had kessil for years now with no issue. Are you using the ramp controller?
I was ramping with the Apex 10VDC output. It failed when I had an Apex hardware failure.
 
Whens the last time they were cleaned? Overheating can cause shutdown issues
I clean them fairly regularly. It's got a little dust on it, but nothing terrible. It won't even start up, so it's not overheating.
 
What about the fan? It takes power as soon as it is powered. Open the light and see if you can disconnect the fan. Obviously it will heat up fast but it will test if the motor is shorted.
 
Here's a picture of the outside. Some dust, but not too bad.
IMG_20200102_191403.jpg
 
What about the fan? It takes power as soon as it is powered. Open the light and see if you can disconnect the fan. Obviously it will heat up fast but it will test if the motor is shorted.
I did this. It's not the fan. The unit just trips the power supply.
 
The same issue happened to me on my H380 over the weekend. I was wondering if OP found a solution.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new