Anyone have experience with waterbox larger systems

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still in the process of trying to decide on my next build to replace my aging 180g. I just saw that waterbox offers a 7 and 8ft system. I'm particularly interested in the Reef LX 380.8. I know I can get more tank for the money if I go custom but I'm not sure I feel like building a stand and doing all the plumbing. Just weighing all my options. So anyone have opinions on WB larger tanks? Or WB in general.

Last edited:

tomtheturkey

Reef Wizard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still in the process of trying to decide on my next build to replace my aging 180g. I just saw that waterbox offers a 7 and 8ft system. I'm particularly interested in the Reef LX 380.8. I know I can get more tank for the money if I go custom but I'm not sure I feel like building a stand and doing all the plumbing. Just weighing all my options. So anyone have opinions on WB larger tanks? Or WB in general.

I really enjoy my infinia reef 190.5

There was no issue for my uncle and I leveling the stand.

I have also noticed MANY people saying the overflow box and refugium baffle is loud. Dont listen to them it does not need to modified to silence it., My tank is very quiet after dialing it in and letting it run for a while.

I would say the only issue I have is their filter socks I have the larger 225 micron and man they get clogged so fast it seems especially if you feed flake or pellet

I also have never had a problem with Waterbox support and have used them atleast 5 times.

I even had them replace a piece of plumbing due to an issue with it.

tomtheturkey

Reef Wizard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also would like to know which custom tank builder can give you a stand sump and tank for better or equal value I have looked at glass cages and Just building out similar to the 190.5 it was going to be more?

So just curious who you were looking at?

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GC has some really nice stands now. More like furniture then stands. I know it's not WB but may be worth a look. Also tslot is a great alternative to wood and its not super pricey. Easy to order and assemble.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Double post sorry

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just curious who you were looking at?
I was looking at glass cages but I was going to make my own stand, sump, and plumbing since my sump would be in the basement and DT on the first floor. I'm not sure if I feel like doing all the extra work and my plumbing tends to get a bit sloppy so I'm undecided.

tomtheturkey

Reef Wizard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at glass cages but I was going to make my own stand, sump, and plumbing since my sump would be in the basement and DT on the first floor. I'm not sure if I feel like doing all the extra work and my plumbing tends to get a bit sloppy so I'm undecided.
I would say Cade Glass cages and not many tanks of these out there but a LFS of mine recommended Pro clear pro star tanks I looked into them once they would have to build custom over 6 feet though

anthonymckay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re going to spend that amount of money, don’t rely on Waterbox to make a quality stand. They’re newer aluminum stands are very poorly made.
Care to elaborate more on this? I have a WB 230.6 that I setup last month with the new aluminum stand and haven't had any obvious issues.

Terroid Smith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just picked up a brand new 380.8 for a GREAT price, and I have to say, I LOVE it!!!! Currently getting everything setup and hoping to begin cycling in the next few days! I'd say GO FOR IT. It's definitely a good sized tank!

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up a brand new 380.8 for a GREAT price, and I have to say, I LOVE it!!!! Currently getting everything setup and hoping to begin cycling in the next few days! I'd say GO FOR IT. It's definitely a good sized tank!
Nice! I was looking at them again today. The one thing holding me back on anything not custom is the total height. I really don't want to go taller than 55" total height because I don't want to stand on something every time I work in the tank.

Terroid Smith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I was looking at them again today. The one thing holding me back on anything not custom is the total height. I really don't want to go taller than 55" total height because I don't want to stand on something every time I work in the tank.
Yea, I get that. Definitely have to stand on something to reach the bottom.

SaltwaterScotty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really enjoy my infinia reef 190.5

There was no issue for my uncle and I leveling the stand.

I have also noticed MANY people saying the overflow box and refugium baffle is loud. Dont listen to them it does not need to modified to silence it., My tank is very quiet after dialing it in and letting it run for a while.

I would say the only issue I have is their filter socks I have the larger 225 micron and man they get clogged so fast it seems especially if you feed flake or pellet

I also have never had a problem with Waterbox support and have used them atleast 5 times.

I even had them replace a piece of plumbing due to an issue with it.
I'm so glad I ran across your post. I started my Waterbox 230.6 yesterday and the overflow is way too noisy no matter how long I spend tuning it. How many days would you say it took to settle down?

tomtheturkey

Reef Wizard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so glad I ran across your post. I started my Waterbox 230.6 yesterday and the overflow is way too noisy no matter how long I spend tuning it. How many days would you say it took to settle down?
I cant give you an exact number of days maybe 10-14 im not sure but it seemed like in my setup if I got the overflow quiet it was loud in the refugium baffle. Once that was set I let the salt and organics build up on the baffle and it is pretty quiet now. Make sure ATO, RT pump, and wavemakers are dialed in. It does take some tinkering. I did very small adjustments on my valve maybe 5-10% increments.

It can be done without modification but I can see why people would modify it as it did take a bit of patience and time to get right.

SaltwaterScotty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant give you an exact number of days maybe 10-14 im not sure but it seemed like in my setup if I got the overflow quiet it was loud in the refugium baffle. Once that was set I let the salt and organics build up on the baffle and it is pretty quiet now. Make sure ATO, RT pump, and wavemakers are dialed in. It does take some tinkering. I did very small adjustments on my valve maybe 5-10% increments.

It can be done without modification but I can see why people would modify it as it did take a bit of patience and time to get right.
Thanks so much for the reply! I'm going to let it cook a bit and see what happens. It does seem a bit quieter today. It's only day 2. Appreciate your help!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back