Anyone have one large centerpiece fish, and a bunch of smaller fish?

kangadrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of a mouthful of a title, lol.
But does anybody have a larger tank (4'+) with one larger fish in it (tang, med-large angel, butterfly, etc), and a bunch of smaller fish?
I am finding myself more and more interested in the smaller stuff, and less and less interested in larger fish.
For those of you that do - what size tank, how many smaller fish, and do you like your activity level?

For example - in a 6' 180 gallon, would it be too "empty" if you were to keep around 15-20 small wrasses, with a single tang around 8-9" long?

Take care,
Drew

Shilpan Patel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that currently and I like it! I have a 105 gallon with soft corals.
I have one sailfin tang as my centerpiece. Then 5 other supporting fish (chromis clownfish goby and dragonet). Planning on getting some firefish soon.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4', 75 gallons.

2.5" copperband butterfly
2" flame hawkfish
2.5" Lubbocks wrasse
Pygmy angelfish
Saphire damsel
5 royal gramma
1 neon gold cleaner goby

Will be adding a few more similarly small fish later.

Always been a tank stuffer.
Then a crash with the 'last' fish.

Finally backing off to a reasonable stocking level.
Only planning on adding 3 more fish maturing under 4".
203bd6fb36b38367b03bac33330e3905.jpg

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is interesting! I am drawn to many of the smaller fish as well. Good thread topic. Would like to see pics of member's tanks that fall into this description.:)

OP
OP
K

kangadrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is interesting! I am drawn to many of the smaller fish as well. Good thread topic. Would like to see pics of member's tanks that fall into this description.:)
Thanks!
So many tanks out there that are nothing but tangs and some random smaller fish. Many of them look cool, but there are some awesome smaller fish that you can fill a tank with too, like wrasses. And the bioload of 15-20 wrasses should be lower than 3-4 tangs, meaning water quality will increase.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd suggest that if your wanting just one larger species either go for a real show stopper or one that doesn't get to big. If you go bigger then it ruins the scale of the tank but that's less of a problem if it's a showy species. In the past I've setup tanks and used more delicate species like a copperband, long nose butterfly or powder brown, gold rim tangs. With less competition you get the best out of the fish.

OP
OP
K

kangadrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd suggest that if your wanting just one larger species either go for a real show stopper or one that doesn't get to big. If you go bigger then it ruins the scale of the tank but that's less of a problem if it's a showy species. In the past I've setup tanks and used more delicate species like a copperband, long nose butterfly or powder brown, gold rim tangs. With less competition you get the best out of the fish.
I was thinking moorish idol.
Delicate AND a show stopper.

Drew

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 38 30.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 45 36.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.0%

Back