Anyone have Pipefish?

ScottyD36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking into getting a pipefish for my tank. I currently have a Midas Blenny, possum wrasse and two clown fish and I am seeing if a pipefish could be kept with them.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank and how old? From what I understand they are very hard to keep. Without a large very mature tank I wouldn't try.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking into getting a pipefish for my tank. I currently have a Midas Blenny, possum wrasse and two clown fish and I am seeing if a pipefish could be kept with them.
They are not stong swimmers/aggressive feeders and you would have to be careful to "spot" feed them, ime.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Paul B has them. Maybe he can chime in on care level.

OP
OP
ScottyD36

ScottyD36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank and how old? From what I understand they are very hard to keep. Without a large very mature tank I wouldn't try.
Its a 40 gallon long tank. My tank is only 3 months old so it isn't mature enough to get it just yet. Kinda kicking different ideas for something unique in my tank.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a 40 gallon long tank. My tank is only 3 months old so it isn't mature enough to get it just yet. Kinda kicking different ideas for something unique in my tank.
Someone more knowledgeable will chime in eventually. However I'd have to lean toward not a good fit.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm not an expert by any means but from what i remember they require subdued flow to allow them to controllably swim. this is why you often see them with seahorses.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought about a longnosed hawkfish?

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't think your other fish will pay much attention to a pipefish. I'm not sure about your Midas Blenny but it shouldn't be an issue.
The bluestriped pipefish and others do fine in a high flow tank. I have a bluestriped in my sps tank. They are great swimmers. The bluestriped is smaller than most other pipefish and easier to keep fed. Just make sure your tank has a population of pods as that's what they eat.

Ronny Pena

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Blue Striped Pipefish, beautiful fish, as some have said above, if you get one, you'll probably have to set your flow around the fish, they're not that bad swimming, but Gyre flow is a No-No. My tank was 2 years old when I got her, I never fed her with anything, make sure you have enough pods, lost her after moving the tank to a new house.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Just looked up blue striped pipefish pics and they are spectacular; guess my green/brown ones were more about hiding in eel grass /camouflage, lol. If you have a reliable supply of pods and feel sure your pipes can successfully compete with the other fish for them, I'd go for it.

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 4' tank (2) mp40s and a 2k gyre pump in a open tonga branch aquascape. Bluestriped pipefish do fine in HIGH flow.

runcis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back