Anyone having success with SBReef lights or Photon V2?

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for tanks that have been somewhat grown with these fixtures. Just curious if there's a lot of success.

cheseenlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive seeen some amazing SPS tank with these black box LED.
if that is what you are looking for, and you dont mind the ugly factor.
then im certain they will grow anything you want.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont know what you consider success but I think SB do pretty well. Have had them about a year and a half now.
Jan 11, 2016
mokNHQu.jpg

Aug 10th, 2016
VMmpk5X.jpg

Nov 28th 2016. Had to pull acros due to AEFW.
19G1L95.jpg

Moved across town in early march so my tank has had to rebound a bit and I lost some corals but that freed up space for new ones.

Last week.
KnU3Ovz.jpg

Frags I am cooking as of last night.

1pcBcfS.jpg

97CaoTj.jpg

enWKU4f.jpg

BcyaItj.jpg

OP
OP
Velcro

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont know what you consider success but I think SB do pretty well. Have had them about a year and a half now.
Jan 11, 2016
mokNHQu.jpg

Aug 10th, 2016
VMmpk5X.jpg

Nov 28th 2016. Had to pull acros due to AEFW.
19G1L95.jpg

Moved across town in early march so my tank has had to rebound a bit and I lost some corals but that freed up space for new ones.

Last week.
KnU3Ovz.jpg

Frags I am cooking as of last night.

1pcBcfS.jpg

97CaoTj.jpg

enWKU4f.jpg

BcyaItj.jpg

I would certainly consider that success :) Have you had t5 or halide in the past and if so what do you like about these compared to the traditional lighting?

OP
OP
Velcro

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, I've talked to adam quite a bit about them. I just wanted to see more displays that use them to see if they deal with issues in a display type aquascape with SPS to the edges of the tank.
IMO, the 16in SB has a bit of trouble hitting the full 20x20x18 square of my cube with all the lenses in. Right now its at 13in, and i pulled just under half the lenses and it just scrapes the sides.
I did have it at 11in with most of the lesnes pulled and it was actually better with a lot of power left. Its not t5 perfect coverage but its darned good.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would certainly consider that success :) Have you had t5 or halide in the past and if so what do you like about these compared to the traditional lighting?
I have not used t5 recently enough to compare. I only can say that the SB reef lights perform better growth and color wise than my Galaxy Hydro black box did.

enveetie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have PAR numbers from the SB 16"? A guy over on RC posted numbers in the mid 200's with blues and whites at 100% and I figured that seemed low compared to other Chinese generics, but I am trying to keep in mind SB uses different spectrum lights. And I've never seen the creator of the SB lights actually give PAR numbers for his product, perhaps realizing the lower numbers would not help the marketing.

I myself am very curious how they do with SPS growth and mature coloration. Most tank pics and growth shows I've seen with SB were mainly LPS tanks.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have PAR numbers from the SB 16"? A guy over on RC posted numbers in the mid 200's with blues and whites at 100% and I figured that seemed low compared to other Chinese generics, but I am trying to keep in mind SB uses different spectrum lights. And I've never seen the creator of the SB lights actually give PAR numbers for his product, perhaps realizing the lower numbers would not help the marketing.

I myself am very curious how they do with SPS growth and mature coloration. Most tank pics and growth shows I've seen with SB were mainly LPS tanks.

Here is a pretty in depth look. To say they only put out 200 par is pretty laughable.

enveetie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen that video, he runs 3 retrofit lights AND t5's.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=25021811&postcount=1584
theres the post comparing par values of a mars unit and sb.

Thank you for linking that. When I swapped out the board on my galaxy hydro, i left my settings the same and ended up bleaching some acros. They recovered once I turned the fixture down. That could be from a spectrum shift I suppose though. I have not mapped out my tank but I guess I could be growing sps with 200 par.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen that video, he runs 3 retrofit lights AND t5's.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=25021811&postcount=1584
theres the post comparing par values of a mars unit and sb.
Thank you for linking that. When I swapped out the board on my galaxy hydro, i left my settings the same and ended up bleaching some acros. They recovered once I turned the fixture down. That could be from a spectrum shift I suppose though. I have not mapped out my tank but I guess I could be growing sps with 200 par.
interesting.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/par-for-sb-reef-light.271205/

Hex doesn't mention t5s here, and the seney has a narrow view. He's runnin 800+ across the top.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/s...using-seneye-reef-125-gallon-aquarium.274296/

Reefer40b

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a photon V2 32in over a 40b and able to grow anything with it. I have a teal stag that I swear I can see growth everyday from it growing crazy fast! PC rainbow, green slimmer, garf bonsai, purple pylop green birdnest also all growing fast! I have plenty of LPS/zoas also doing great

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back