Anyone Here Also Into Freshwater?

Scottmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200330_191424_capture.jpg This is like a candy shop for me...
Nice and very colourful community aquarium, I have one similar for my kids. For community tanks what I tend to do is have lots of colourful Guppies and Tetra species like above, then add in some larger peaceful fish like Gouramis (Opalines are my favourite) to give a bit of a size variance. I also tend to have river sand in my tank rather than gravel. With a few Corys the sand is kept spotless as they move around like auto vacuum cleaners (unlike sand in Marine tanks, which I've found turns an ugly brown and needs constant maintenance.)

I remember in my last year of high school my class did a charity sponsored trek in South America, and in one part of the Trek down to Iguazu we waded through the Pantanal in Brazil (worlds largest wetlands). I remember looking down and many of the fish in the pic above were swimming around my legs! It was like a dream for a aquarium hobbyist.

Imagine living in that country, all you'd need to do is go out with a net and you have an instant stocked tropical fish tank!

Last edited:

Scottmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because a lot of the SW only people were salty(pun intended lol) and complained like kids. We took a large poll(about 300 people) on it and it came out 50/50. But the complaints of those mentioned above stopped it. Sad thing too since it would open the hobby to more people and get more people into SW and potentially drop the prices since more people will be in the hobby since the need to mass produce will go up and it wouldnt be so niche.

freshwater poll link
BTW your using the wrong term. 'Salt' is a masculine term, oil is womanly. eg: 'salt of the earth' to describe a hardworking working-class man, or as a term of value "to be worth ones salt" as Roman soldiers were partly paid in salt. When we die the complimentary masculine and feminine salt and oil joins to become soil (or in Asian culture its known as ying yang.) So don't compliment whiners by calling them salty, in reality they lack salt. ;)

Anyway maybe people here could ask for another vote to create a "freshwater and other pets" forum as I have noticed there are other threads about dogs/reptiles etc.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW your using the wrong term. 'Salt' is a masculine term, oil is womanly. eg: 'salt of the earth' to describe a hardworking working-class man, or as a term of value "to be worth ones salt" as Roman soldiers were partly paid in salt. When we die the complimentary masculine and feminine salt and oil joins to become soil (or in Asian culture its known as ying yang.) So don't compliment whiners by calling them salty, in reality they lack salt. ;)

Anyway maybe people here could ask for another vote to create a "freshwater and other pets" forum as I have noticed there are other threads about dogs/reptiles etc.
...what? Anyways, I think the reference was to the slang term salty: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=salty

Shanel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both Fresh and Saltwater. Love them equally. I spent months of weekends building this one. Was my first time building waterfalls. Going through it's new stage i got a Cyanobacteria outbreak that was pretty bad. It's coming back now. Lost some bucephalandra and Moss. Still has some cyano in the plants and some green algae from the release of nutrients when the cyano was dying.

20200525_091129.jpg

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at my avatar, his name is Dwane (as in Dwane The Rock Johnson). He's the most majestic fish I've ever seen, massive, graceful, powerful, and looms over the tank like the shadow of impending doom.

I invested in a silicone background for my 45-gal freshwater and I think it's still my best looking tank. The live plants constantly churn in the current. There's always some horny Guppy action or ticked off Tetra fights. Or maybe all 13 Khuli Loaches suddenly appear after missing for days. Gary(s) (snails) can be found most anywhere inside or outside the tank. What's not to love?

It's really the live plants and broad variety of life forms that keeps me in FW too.
IMG_20201014_233358158.jpg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back