Anyone Here Also Into Freshwater?

fnlyreefready

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based dude. The lass above is with pretty boy for the money, but thinking of the real man below. ;)
I actually put that pond in for less then 200 dollars as I saved materials from peoples landscaping and used an old self standing pool as the liner

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there are so many reefers here who also have freshwater tanks, why don't the mods just create a separate freshwater forum on this site? problem solved.
Because a lot of the SW only people were salty(pun intended lol) and complained like kids. We took a large poll(about 300 people) on it and it came out 50/50. But the complaints of those mentioned above stopped it. Sad thing too since it would open the hobby to more people and get more people into SW and potentially drop the prices since more people will be in the hobby since the need to mass produce will go up and it wouldnt be so niche.

freshwater poll link

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the Gar, colour me jealous. I have a 1000 gallon pond, but it gets too cold up here to keep one. I'm stuck with Koi and Goldfish unless I feel like hauling all the livestock inside for the 6 months it's frozen over.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I want, but I doubt I could afford to feed it.

FB_IMG_1590454102673.jpg

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to do freshwater planted tanks. In fact here it is. Did the whole refill co2, bubble counter, estimative index shabam. Miss it in some ways, but reefing is newer. Once I get my 65 dialed in with corals I like, I plan on keeping a low tech freshwater tank to complement.
0CD1222C-AA9C-4479-A446-A8FFBF469CFF.jpeg

fnlyreefready

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the Gar, colour me jealous. I have a 1000 gallon pond, but it gets too cold up here to keep one. I'm stuck with Koi and Goldfish unless I feel like hauling all the livestock inside for the 6 months it's frozen over.
I’m in Ohio and we have averaged 3 years running temps lower then Alaska. Use a deicer and shut all of your pumps and filters off in the winter. It will create a small warmer pool below the water. As long as they don’t turn into a block of ice you would be amazed how fast they come out of it in the spring. The first warm day they are right out feeding.

Scottmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to do freshwater planted tanks. In fact here it is. Did the whole refill co2, bubble counter, estimative index shabam. Miss it in some ways, but reefing is newer. Once I get my 65 dialed in with corals I like, I plan on keeping a low tech freshwater tank to complement.
0CD1222C-AA9C-4479-A446-A8FFBF469CFF.jpeg
That is a beautiful tank! I'd love to have a go at a shrimp tank as I would probably get away with adding another small nano cube if I buy my wife some chocolates, but i'd also add catfish.

I assume you let the plants establish and grow with CO2 for a while first, what substrate did you use and at what point did you introduce shrimp?

Scottmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because a lot of the SW only people were salty(pun intended lol) and complained like kids. We took a large poll(about 300 people) on it and it came out 50/50. But the complaints of those mentioned above stopped it. Sad thing too since it would open the hobby to more people and get more people into SW and potentially drop the prices since more people will be in the hobby since the need to mass produce will go up and it wouldnt be so niche.

freshwater poll link
LOL yes, I have come across the competitive divisions of elitism within this hobby (always after a bigger and bigger tank, compensating for something maybe?) Fortunately its a small minority of hobbyists...they'd be the ones stuck in the kitchen at a house party. You've just got to laugh. ;)

But the vast majority of hobbyists, in my experience, have a wide love for nature whether it be freshwater or salt, and more often than not have many other pets too. I started off very young with cold water, then went to freshwater tropical. As my family is Scottish I was taken to the western highlands at least once a year where there are amazing sand and rockpool beaches, so I got my interest from there also. And being British inevitably I watched a lot of Attenborough on BBC tv, so I have kept insects, amphibians and reptiles as well as always having family dogs. All nature is fascinating, no sense in just restricting yourself to one type.

Last edited:

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a beautiful tank! I'd love to have a go at a shrimp tank as I would probably get away with adding another small nano cube if I buy my wife some chocolates, but i'd also add catfish.

I assume you let the plants establish and grow with CO2 for a while first, what substrate did you use and at what point did you introduce shrimp?
Thank you! A box of chocolates for a nano cube shrimp tank would be a good trade imo. ;)

Yes, exactly. ADA is the brand I use for planted tanks. Very close to the Red Sea of freshwater. They sell something called aqua soil which is basically soil with fertilizer formed into little beads. It produces ammonia on its own but has bacteria too that starts the cycle. The plants can go in right away as long as water cloudiness clears up quickly. Probably needs a month or two to stabilize before adding any ornamental shrimp. The red cherries I had are more tolerant of wider parameters but the crystal shrimp (striped patterns) need tighter conditions. Shrimps bread readily in freshwater, so if conditions are good, your tank will be covered with them! Generally limit fish to peaceful types like neon tetras and ottocinclus, unless you opt for a bigger tank.

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL yes, I have come across the competitive divisions of elitism within this hobby (always after a bigger and bigger tank, compensating for something maybe?) Fortunately its a small minority of hobbyists...they'd be the ones stuck in the kitchen at a house party. You've just got to laugh. ;)

But the vast majority of hobbyists, in my experience, have a wide love for nature whether it be freshwater or salt, and more often than not have many other pets too. I started off very young with cold water, then went to freshwater tropical. As my family is Scottish I was taken to the western highlands at least once a year where there are amazing sand and rockpool beaches, so I got my interest from there also. And being British inevitably I watched a lot of Attenborough on BBC tv, so I have kept insects, amphibians and reptiles as well as always having family dogs. All nature is fascinating, no sense in just restricting yourself to one type.

I still can spend hours watching Attenborough nature documentaries. Consumed all of his planet earth series, our planet on Netflix, Blue planet, Africa. Plus the musical score on Planet Earth 2 ... where’s my popcorn? K, enough nerd talk.

Scottmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still can spend hours watching Attenborough nature documentaries. Consumed all of his planet earth series, our planet on Netflix, Blue planet, Africa. Plus the musical score on Planet Earth 2 ... where’s my popcorn? K, enough nerd talk.
I didn't realise Attenborough was that well known in the states. My wife has a lifelong passion for birds so Life of Birds is her favourite. For me as entomology is one of my main interests, Life in the Undergrowth Attenborough series is special.

Well let me say the pics of your fantastic freshwater shrimp tank have really inspired me. Once I get approval from She Who Must Be Obeyed and set up a tank, I will take your advice on the substrate. Only thing is I have three young kids, so not a lot of hobby time (as any parent will tell you take advantage of any sleep you get!) So with a planted tank such as the one in the photos, is there a species of shrimp/small fish that will graze on the plants to limit the necessary pruning?

@dvgyfresh : LOL I think you have a characterful and artistic partner, you have your hands full. Lucky you ;)

Scott

Mick51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always had a freshwater tank since I started going on 50 years

27569CA2-EE5C-423F-BD0E-BA4DCB7D9E95.jpeg

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Aquamaxx 12 gallon long , planted mostly anubias , some crypts . Use a bunch of botanicals but lately havent put them in . Apistogramma pair but love the celestial pearl danios, like baby brook trout .

Resized_20200518_145344_7678.jpeg 20200726_173844.jpg

Lkemja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just kind of wondering what sort of overlap there is from the saltwater and freshwater aquarium worlds? Like, who keeps tanks of both, anyone started with one or moved to the other?

Me, I started by looking after the salmon fry my workplace raises every year, onto buying a house with a fishless pond that I stocked, making the jump straight into saltwater aquariums. Though I have often contemplated setting up a freshwater tank for a couple of green terrors.
My husband and I have both. Mine is a 15g saltwater with seahorse, my husband has 180g,40g and I think 10g freshwater tank

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back