Anyone here use a Canon M50?

Austin Lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been thinking on it for a while and am considering picking up a Canon M50 this weekend. I found a nice bundle that includes the kit lens as well as a 55-200 EF-M lens for $829. However, I noticed quite a few folks use macro lenses to capture the details of corals.

Does it make more sense for me to invest in the longer range lens kit or should I buy the camera + kit lens and buy a macro lens at the same time?

If you use an M50, what have your experiences been and what gave you the best results?

inktomi

ReefMan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if you got an answer on the M50, but keep in mind that you can use a cheap extension tube with a non-macro lens to get similar photos. They're much cheaper than a proper 1:1 or better macro lens, though there are some tradeoffs - for example, they make it hard to focus on things more than a few inches from the lens.

I'm able to make photos and videos of corals in my tank using extension tubes that I got for free, but I also have a macro lens that I use quite a lot too. The extension tubes provide more magnification than my macro lens, but they're more finicky to use.

OP
OP
Austin Lee

Austin Lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if you got an answer on the M50, but keep in mind that you can use a cheap extension tube with a non-macro lens to get similar photos. They're much cheaper than a proper 1:1 or better macro lens, though there are some tradeoffs - for example, they make it hard to focus on things more than a few inches from the lens.

I'm able to make photos and videos of corals in my tank using extension tubes that I got for free, but I also have a macro lens that I use quite a lot too. The extension tubes provide more magnification than my macro lens, but they're more finicky to use.

yeah, i've used extension tubes before! Do you use an M50?

GThompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been thinking on it for a while and am considering picking up a Canon M50 this weekend. I found a nice bundle that includes the kit lens as well as a 55-200 EF-M lens for $829. However, I noticed quite a few folks use macro lenses to capture the details of corals.

Does it make more sense for me to invest in the longer range lens kit or should I buy the camera + kit lens and buy a macro lens at the same time?

If you use an M50, what have your experiences been and what gave you the best results?
. I have a Canon T7i , really similar to the M-50 Are you looking for suggestions?

OP
OP
Austin Lee

Austin Lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Sony a7r III

yeah, I borrowed my friend's a7iii before i bought my M50, and that thing is a beast. If I had $2k+ to drop on a camera, I'd def have it. I like the M50 so far, but need to find the right lens combo for sure. All of the pics I take now are through the glass.

GThompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7D62B626-C9C7-4FBB-9286-E4E1E206B271.jpeg
yeah, I borrowed my friend's a7iii before i bought my M50, and that thing is a beast. If I had $2k+ to drop on a camera, I'd def have it. I like the M50 so far, but need to find the right lens combo for sure. All of the pics I take now are through the glass.
Mine are through the glass also. I bought the ext. tube set, wasn’t really impressed, so I ordered a cheap macro filter style kit for $15 from Vivitar and it was a lot better

OP
OP
Austin Lee

Austin Lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7D62B626-C9C7-4FBB-9286-E4E1E206B271.jpeg

Mine are through the glass also. I bought the ext. tube set, wasn’t really impressed, so I ordered a cheap macro filter style kit for $15 from Vivitar and it was a lot better

yeah, I took this with my friend's a7iii.

DSC00100_edited.jpg

OP
OP
Austin Lee

Austin Lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My one really good suggestion is use a tripod. Somebody on R2R suggested that to me and it made a world of difference

yes! I have a tripod now and it makes a ton of difference for sure. What lens are you using?

inktomi

ReefMan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like Canon makes a 28mm f/3.5 macro lens - it might be neat to have such a wide angle at macro size. The nice part about this lens is that it's only $250 from B&H!

The biggest thing that I did to improve my coral photos was to buy a top down acrylic tube that could house my lens to get under the surface of the water. I have one from Avast, but I'm sure there are other companies that make similar housing.

LagoonLounge

loving the reef life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi mate,

What setting do you use on the M50 as I've bought one but can't seem to get any good pictures with it.. I'm currently trying to use manual mode.. I need help with iso / exposure/ WB etc etc I don't know where to start.

The lens is only a kit lens that comes with it when you buy from new.. I also have a orange filter.

Any help and I'd really appreciate it

Thanks

Back