Anyone keep a Bluestripe Fang Blenny before?

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They take to prepared foods quite regularly however, I don’t find a great nutritional diet in just prepared foods. These are a more active species of blenny and will prefer a larger tank in the long run. The species Im most knowledgeable on is Meiacanthus grammistes, the striped fang blenny. The venom consists of a neuropeptide also seen in cone snail venom, a lipase similar to the one used by certain species of scorpions and an opioid peptide. Blennies use it to stun predators. The venom seen in Meiacanthus reduces the blood pressure of the predator, relaxing its jaws so the blenny can escape. I don’t know if this species has the venom in meiacanthus however it is known to potentially nip at fish scales.

Sorry for the late reply, got sucked into a game of Monopoly for 4 hours haha.
Yeah, apparently this guy also has venom that's like an opioid (which is fascinating btw! I love fish with unique adaptations like that!)... I know mine is in a different genus but what did you feed yours? I'm not a fan of dry foods if that's what you mean by prepared foods, I would prefer to feed him the mysis I feed to my black sun coral if he'll eat it. I culture grindal worms but that seems like a stretch for him to try...I'd just prefer for him not to parasitize other fish I decide to add in the future!.....hope you came out the monopoly champ last night as well!

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update...I haven't seen him eat yet...any ideas what a fang Blenny might like ? He might be eating amphipods and other zooplankton though since there's plenty in there...

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, apparently this guy also has venom that's like an opioid (which is fascinating btw! I love fish with unique adaptations like that!)... I know mine is in a different genus but what did you feed yours? I'm not a fan of dry foods if that's what you mean by prepared foods, I would prefer to feed him the mysis I feed to my black sun coral if he'll eat it. I culture grindal worms but that seems like a stretch for him to try...I'd just prefer for him not to parasitize other fish I decide to add in the future!.....hope you came out the monopoly champ last night as well!
By prepared foods I mean Dry such as Pellets, flakes ect…

Update...I haven't seen him eat yet...any ideas what a fang Blenny might like ? He might be eating amphipods and other zooplankton though since there's plenty in there...
try live worms, brineshrimp or mysis (Mysis is better as I don’t think brine has any nutritional value).

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By prepared foods I mean Dry such as Pellets, flakes ect…

try live worms, brineshrimp or mysis (Mysis is better as I don’t think brine has any nutritional value).
Ok, I culture grindal worms and I have some fresh unfrozen mysis I keep in the fridge and feed to my black sun coral every day so I'll offer him some too...and like I said earlier, I completely agree with you on not being a big fan of dry foods! I see videos of people feeding captive bred $500+ fish pellets and it just makes me shake my head sometimes...I understand that it's a huge accomplishment that they're willing to eat dry food but it's just not nearly as healthy as what they should be getting fed

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@i cant think you know, I think me and you go back and forth on each other's posts commenting more than anyone haha...love hearing your comments...If I'm ever in the UK we gotta meet up for a drink or something! My sister and her husband actually live over there

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@i cant think you know, I think me and you go back and forth on each other's posts commenting more than anyone haha...love hearing your comments...If I'm ever in the UK we gotta meet up for a drink or something! My sister and her husband actually live over there
Definitely haha, I think we are always back and forth on eachothers post actually but hey, it’s great! You have some great comments too :)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better yet, you come over here and visit Thailand...I'll be your tour guide! haha
That would be great!
Thanks man, I feel we actually agree on a lot and we both love the butterflies!
We definitely do agree on a lot haha, I can’t get away from butterflies and I’d have a wrought iron within a heartbeat if I had the money.

Triggerfish124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was looking for a fish for my nano today and a particular one caught my eye that I didn't recognize right off...asked the owner of the store and was simply told it was a goby. It was pretty busy in there so I couldn't get much time to talk to the guy but did ask for the specific species of goby and he said a Bluestripe. I would've appreciated him mentioned the words Fang Blenny after that but I could tell how busy he was so decided a beautiful goby would be a nice and easy first resident....got home diid a little research and found it's actually a Bluestripe Fang Blenny which is why I'm reaching out to you guys here...ever kept one before? What diet do you feed it? I just don't want him nipping at other future tank residents if at all possible. Diet ideas? Words of wisdom?
*EDIT...the owner simply called it a Mimic Goby
I got this book by Scott W. Michael called "A Pocket Expert Guide Marine Fishes 500+ Essential-To-Know Aquarium Species. I find his information to be quite accurate.

Attachments

• 20220419_103039.jpg
    20220419_103039.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 16

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this book by Scott W. Michael called "A Pocket Expert Guide Marine Fishes 500+ Essential-To-Know Aquarium Species. I find his information to be quite accurate.
+1 to this. i use mine all the time.

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They take to prepared foods quite regularly however, I don’t find a great nutritional diet in just prepared foods. These are a more active species of blenny and will prefer a larger tank in the long run. The species Im most knowledgeable on is Meiacanthus grammistes, the striped fang blenny. The venom consists of a neuropeptide also seen in cone snail venom, a lipase similar to the one used by certain species of scorpions and an opioid peptide. Blennies use it to stun predators. The venom seen in Meiacanthus reduces the blood pressure of the predator, relaxing its jaws so the blenny can escape. I don’t know if this species has the venom in meiacanthus however it is known to potentially nip at fish scales.

Sorry for the late reply, got sucked into a game of Monopoly for 4 hours haha.
Old post I'm jumping on I know, but have a question for ya - I have a striped fang blenny who is a model citizen and such a character, that I'd really like to add another fang blenny if possible. Specifically a yellow tail (m. atrodorsalis) or maybe a Kamohara (m. kamoharai)... I can't really find the exact info I'm looking for regarding compatibility amongst fang blennies and whether you can keep more than one per tank. Tank is 75 gallons for reference. Would prefer to avoid any aggression so if it won't work out that's ok - just wondering! :)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old post I'm jumping on I know, but have a question for ya - I have a striped fang blenny who is a model citizen and such a character, that I'd really like to add another fang blenny if possible. Specifically a yellow tail (m. atrodorsalis) or maybe a Kamohara (m. kamoharai)... I can't really find the exact info I'm looking for regarding compatibility amongst fang blennies and whether you can keep more than one per tank. Tank is 75 gallons for reference. Would prefer to avoid any aggression so if it won't work out that's ok - just wondering! :)
If you have enough rockwork to give them both their separate territories then it could work.
Obviously, air on the side of caution with introducing any two fish of the same genus.

I used to put Meiacanthus in small groups together in the LFS and it would often work out. I don’t think I ever had to separate any when I did mix them and keep the same species in groups.

So, good luck and keep us posted!!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 114 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back