Anyone like classical art?

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like art. It’s beautiful. I’m not talking this modern art white canvas or a couple of purple splatters. I’m talking detailed images conveying emotions, thoughts, stories, et cetera. Are there any art lovers out there? If so post your favorite pieces!!

Scottmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes my eye often gets caught by a great painting, the city I live next to (Newcastle upon Tyne) has some very good galleries & museums, and the city of York an hour to the South has Roman sculptures and mosaic art from around 300ad.

My parents have an oil painting on wood that my great grandfather did as a replica of the original, Huntsmen in Snow Pieter Bruegel the Elder (1565). I used to love looking at all the details as a kid.

450px-Pieter_Bruegel_the_Elder_-_Hunters_in_the_Snow_(Winter)_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

There was a ghoulish painting I once saw in an art gallery when I was young, and only recently found out who it is: Zdzisław Beksiński, mid 20th century. But I can't have a print of it as it would give my kids nightmares!

1-11.jpg

Scott

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes my eye often gets caught by a great painting, the city I live next to (Newcastle upon Tyne) has some very good galleries & museums, and the city of York an hour to the South has Roman sculptures and mosaic art from around 300ad.

My parents have an oil painting on wood that my great grandfather did as a replica of the original, Huntsmen in Snow Pieter Bruegel the Elder (1565). I used to love looking at all the details as a kid.

450px-Pieter_Bruegel_the_Elder_-_Hunters_in_the_Snow_(Winter)_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

There was a ghoulish painting I once saw in an art gallery when I was young, and only recently found out who it is: Zdzisław Beksiński, mid 20th century. But I can't have a print of it as it would give my kids nightmares!

1-11.jpg

Scott
Man, those are two great paintings! I love it. I’ve fallen in love with Romantic art. I’ll post a few of my favorites.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Trying to pronounce the artists name gives me nightmares :eek:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats why I just call them coral.

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do like some of Rockwell's stuff, I have a print of this on my wall.

Mermaid+by+Norman+Rockwell+Painting+Print+on+Wrapped+Canvas.jpg

When I was in high school I was really into Frank Frazetta's fantasy art, probably because it was either naughty or violent. I wanted to paint stuff like him.
frazettagirls-art-print-canvas-stretched-on-wooden-bar-20x25-eternal-champion-print-28208782534.jpg
That's a cool artstyle, it's like cartoon with realism

Scottmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do like some of Rockwell's stuff, I have a print of this on my wall.

Mermaid+by+Norman+Rockwell+Painting+Print+on+Wrapped+Canvas.jpg

Haha, that Rockwell sketch is good, should be called "Lucky Catch".
Yeah a great painting/sculpture can really be a centre piece for a room and add colour/interest.

I am going to try and install some art appreciation into my kids *(just so long as they don't go to College/Uni to study it, they're going to learn a practical trade!)

Forgot to mention my neighbour is really into classical art, she has a lovely painting in her living room based on Shakespeare's Hamlet of Ophelias suicide (Millais 1852.) Woodland paintings are my favourite:

ophelia.jpg

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah a great painting/sculpture can really be a centre piece for a room and add colour/interest.

I am going to try and install some art appreciation into my kids *(just so long as they don't go to College/Uni to study it, they're going to learn a practical trade!)

Forgot to mention my neighbour is really into classical art, she has a lovely painting in her living room based on Shakespeare's Hamlet of Ophelias suicide (Millais 1852.) Woodland paintings are my favourite:

ophelia.jpg
I love that. I can’t believe I’ve never seen it! Hamlet along with Macbeth are two of my all time favorite literal works. I like woodland scenes too, those bright Greek ones and then ones like this:
18898832-4BBC-40E7-A4F0-D62B49296381.jpeg
Cenotaph to the Memory of Sir Joshua Reynolds - John Constable

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ophelia.jpg
I was thinking of becoming either a starving artist or a fish farmer.....I chose the latter. I did take a couple of entry level art classes at college, looking over at other peoples work I knew I had some skills, even the difficult teacher liked my abilities.

I always wonder what the market is for skilled artists and not the paint the masterpiece and sell it for thousands type....I know one of those guys.

A buddy of mine with a HS GED worked a graphic designers job for an all natural products company. He has no drawing skills that I know of, but is good with computers. He was asking me for logo designs which I did provide for dirt money, he also was able to use photos he took for work projects. It wasn't great pay, but if someone had the computer skills, photography skills and some drawing skills it could be more stimulating that some jobs.

During my college years I wanted to paint like Monet or at least fish in places that looked like this.
1024px-Claude_Monet_-_Water_Lilies_and_Japanese_Bridge.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of becoming either a starving artist or a fish farmer.....I chose the latter. I did take a couple of entry level art classes at college, looking over at other peoples work I knew I had some skills, even the difficult teacher liked my abilities.

I always wonder what the market is for skilled artists and not the paint the masterpiece and sell it for thousands type....I know one of those guys.

A buddy of mine with a HS GED worked a graphic designers job for an all natural products company. He has no drawing skills that I know of, but is good with computers. He was asking me for logo designs which I did provide for dirt money, he also was able to use photos he took for work projects. It wasn't great pay, but if someone had the computer skills, photography skills and some drawing skills it could be more stimulating that some jobs.

During my college years I wanted to paint like Monet or at least fish in places that looked like this.
1024px-Claude_Monet_-_Water_Lilies_and_Japanese_Bridge.jpg
Monet is one of my favorites too B)

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like art. It’s beautiful. I’m not talking this modern art white canvas or a couple of purple splatters. I’m talking detailed images conveying emotions, thoughts, stories, et cetera. Are there any art lovers out there? If so post your favorite pieces!!

I can't imagine a painter that conveyed more raw emotion than Jackson Pollock. I swear the dude painted directly from his subconscious id. If blue poles ever came up for action it would likely fetch a price in excess of some nation's GDP.

On the other side of brain is Wassily Kandisky - another favorite of mine. I love how he arranges shapes and patterns. What I feel is the attempt to create order from chaos - the opposite of what Pollock is attempting.

JMW Turner has always impressed with his ability to convey such depth and emotion in his romantic landscapes. He was a master of color and never tried to populate his paintings with distracting detail.

I could never get my head into van Gogh and why he's so popular. His compositions were bad and I can't connect emotionally with his work.

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't imagine a painter that conveyed more raw emotion than Jackson Pollock. I swear the dude painted directly from his subconscious id. If blue poles ever came up for action it would likely fetch a price in excess of some nation's GDP.

On the other side of brain is Wassily Kandisky - another favorite of mine. I love how he arranges shapes and patterns. What I feel is the attempt to create order from chaos - the opposite of what Pollock is attempting.

JMW Turner has always impressed with his ability to convey such depth and emotion in his romantic landscapes. He was a master of color and never tried to populate his paintings with distracting detail.

I could never get my head into van Gogh and why he's so popular. His compositions were bad and I can't connect emotionally with his work.
How you feel about Van Gogh is how I feel about most abstract painters. I don’t see anything, I just can’t connect with them. Van Gogh is one of my favorites because of his Night time Scenes, I have a love for Night that I can’t explain. I love the Navy haze it casts over the landscape, and the stars above. It takes away my frustration and anger and I can just exist for a little while without worries. And I feel connected to Van Gogh’s work through that :)

Scottmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you like night scenes of Van Gogh, I think you may like Maximilien Luce who has similar style but IMO he was a better artist because Van Gogh, as famous as he became, used a much more basic painting style and has very little depth or perspective in his paintings. I ahve always found Van Gogh flat, whereas Luce, like the one below showed an understanding of depth and diminishing distance.

This one of Luce is of Rotterdam:

. Maximilien_Luce-The_Port_of_Rotterdam,_Evening.jpg

Last time my wife and I were in Paris we bought prints of this and others, as there is a long quayside of art shops along the Siene opposite the Notre Dame Cathedral.

Unfortunately, since then (12 yrs ago) Paris has really gone downhill, so I would not advise it. We certainly wouldn't go back, but there are still some cities in Europe worth seeing and getting art from.

Scott

Back