Anyone owns a lemon peel angel?

DrewBrees713

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was looking for a Rock beauty at my LFS today but they didnt have any in stock. Bought a heathly, eating pellets lemon oerl angel instead. Also bought angel formula with sponge just in case. Anyone kept one long term? Any advice? Are they hardy now a days?

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mine for about a yr now & it's doing great. eats like a pig & I haven't seen it eat any corals.

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always stayed away from them. Just heard more horror stories than anything else. Kind of a tricky fish. GL.

OP
OP
D

DrewBrees713

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya i know theyre difficukt fih. It was an impulse buy but at least hes in the QT eating.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept a few. Once you get them eating, they are quite hardy; getting them eating can be frustrating. Probably the most destructive of the dwarf angels though. I have had one in my current reef for about 3 years. Mostly ok, but does occasionally decide to start nibbling on my SPS. I put up with it because it is a stunning fish ..... and my tank is big so damage is distributed. They also can exhibit idiosyncratic behavior - mine does loops through the main pump return.

There are a few videos of mine in my build thread - Simon's 450 (in the monster tank section of R2R).

Last edited:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will usually start nipping at corals and tends to become aggressive (especially towards other dwarf angels). They also typically get larger than other dwarf angels.

100_2442_zps8cf87156.jpg

OP
OP
D

DrewBrees713

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hot dang! I have a flame angel in another QT tank. Guess id have to add him first to my 125g then wait a few days to add the lemon peel. Hope they wont fight each other.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there territory is a little larger than than the flame. In general outside a pair want about the foot print of a 55g per dwarf. Lemon peels are supposedly more aggressive than others so may need more. In general are rock dwellers, lots of large caves might help with aggression. Also would use an acclimation box, might help.

ScooterV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one in a 180 along with a flame. I was a little worried it would fight with the flame due to species, but also worried it would fight with a yellow tang due to color. After a couple of days it ended up ignoring the flame and followed the tang everywhere. It DID end up nipping corals, where the flame never did. Beautiful fish though!

OP
OP
D

DrewBrees713

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one in a 180 along with a flame. I was a little worried it would fight with the flame due to species, but also worried it would fight with a yellow tang due to color. After a couple of days it ended up ignoring the flame and followed the tang everywhere. It DID end up nipping corals, where the flame never did. Beautiful fish though!

180g is much bigger than a 125g so that helped alot im sure. I too heard they might fight with YT due to similar color. I have sufficient amount of LR(80lbs) hopefully that will tamper the aggressions a bit.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From all the reading I’ve done coral beauty’s are your best bet

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From all the reading I’ve done coral beauty’s are your best bet

That's my experience. Had a Flame angel who was a complete jerk to it's tank mates and a repeated coral nipper to boot. Currently have a Coral Beauty that occasionally does a "get out of my way charge" towards my Pajama Cardinal (but has never chased it around the tank or bit it), and takes a once in a blue moon exploratory nip at my Euphyllia corals (and then spits the little piece out), but other than that is a completely model citizen.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not advise the coral beauty. A 125 is not a great size for 3 dwarf angels.
While a coral beauty is low on the aggression scale to other fish for a dwarf, all dwarfs can be aggressive to one another. The foot print doesn’t offer a lot of room to run or for all 3 to make their own territory.

In the wild these fish are rock dwellers that make a home over a particular outcrop and defend it against competitors. They are hermaphrodites that will form pairs, but they are not social schooling fish.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Lemon peel easier than Rock beauty but neither are Reef safe as a word of caution

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.6%
Back