Lemon peel angel fish hiding in cave and not coming out

marinefisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
Just looking for advice on my young lemon peel dwarf angel fish, who I have had for a couple of months.
Suddenly yesterday he has been hiding all day in a cave, only only came out to feed for a few minutes. Only changes to the tank - was last week I introduced a couple of new corals : Hammer coral and frogspawn and already have a torch coral. Could this have possibly stung the lemon peel? Seems quite scared no obvious signs of injury. Only other change was a slight drop in tank temperature due to the colder weather, but back to normal now.

Many thanks,
Adam

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have any photos? how are you parameters? I ask for pictures of your tank because fish are likely to hide if there are not enough hiding places readily available around the tank. This sounds counterintuitive, but from experience I assure you it makes a big difference. As soon as I re-arranged my scape to have hiding places all over, the fish more frequently swim out in the open.

OP
OP
M

marinefisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have any photos? how are you parameters? I ask for pictures of your tank because fish are likely to hide if there are not enough hiding places readily available around the tank. This sounds counterintuitive, but from experience I assure you it makes a big difference. As soon as I re-arranged my scape to have hiding places all over, the fish more frequently swim out in the open.
Thanks for the reply, parameters are all okay as I say the temperature dropped a couple of degrees but back to normal now. Interesting to hear about the scape positioning but would it cause a sudden change after being in the tank already for 7 weeks? Attached a pic of the scape with the yellow peel in question before he started acting off. He now hides in the bottom left cave.

Attachments

• IMG_7719.jpeg
    IMG_7719.jpeg
    135.8 KB · Views: 40

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply, parameters are all okay as I say the temperature dropped a couple of degrees but back to normal now. Interesting to hear about the scape positioning but would it cause a sudden change after being in the tank already for 7 weeks? Attached a pic of the scape with the yellow peel in question before he started acting off. He now hides in the bottom left cave.
Hi, my little toot thinks he’s a tang, he’s 1/4 their size. He’s also fully grown, we’ve had him as good 4 years and I noticed a month ago he had a tiny dot on his back. It’s ok, a scar I guess, but quite a few people here are knowledgeable about them, Dr Jay and Vetteguy were very helpful. Hope he’s ok
Here’s Norman with his tangs
Debra
IMG_6434.jpeg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you should get some powerheads in the tank, and aim one at the water surface. Your fish are breaking the water surface to get air. The water surface should not be flat like that, it should be turbulent with little bubbles being exchanged, this is what oxygenates the water.

Even flow inside the tank is very important, your tank is very new and will hit the algae phase soon, algae quickly takes over a stagnant tank.

I also agree with above, more caves and hiding spots will make the fish happier overall.

OP
OP
M

marinefisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you should get some powerheads in the tank, and aim one at the water surface. Your fish are breaking the water surface to get air. The water surface should not be flat like that, it should be turbulent with little bubbles being exchanged, this is what oxygenates the water.

Even flow inside the tank is very important, your tank is very new and will hit the algae phase soon, algae quickly takes over a stagnant tank.

I also agree with above, more caves and hiding spots will make the fish happier overall.
Hi,
I do have a power head on the surface was just off while they were feeding. It’s just strange as the lemon peel was always out and now he is hiding in a cave for no sudden reason. I do have a blue damsel that is a bit pesky do you think this could be this could be the reason why? He does almost look scared in the cave. Anything else you would advise I do. Did a water change this evening. When he did come out he looked not his usual self sort of slower But no signs.
Thanks

OP
OP
M

marinefisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, my little toot thinks he’s a tang, he’s 1/4 their size. He’s also fully grown, we’ve had him as good 4 years and I noticed a month ago he had a tiny dot on his back. It’s ok, a scar I guess, but quite a few people here are knowledgeable about them, Dr Jay and Vetteguy were very helpful. Hope he’s ok
Here’s Norman with his tangs
Debra
IMG_6434.jpeg
Hi,
They look great together, thanks for sharing! Wish I could get to the bottom of the issue here, such a lovely fish and still young.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
Just looking for advice on my young lemon peel dwarf angel fish, who I have had for a couple of months.
Suddenly yesterday he has been hiding all day in a cave, only only came out to feed for a few minutes. Only changes to the tank - was last week I introduced a couple of new corals : Hammer coral and frogspawn and already have a torch coral. Could this have possibly stung the lemon peel? Seems quite scared no obvious signs of injury. Only other change was a slight drop in tank temperature due to the colder weather, but back to normal now.

Many thanks,
Adam
Maybe a disagreement with another?
If so, will pass.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 132 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back