Dwarf angelfish in a reef tank?

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! I really want to get a dwarf angelfish for my peaceful community/reef 90 G tank, but I do know that can be tricky. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience in this dept.? I really like the Flame angel, the Lemon peel, and the coral beauty. Will any of those be a fairly safe bet? Or none at all. The other fish in the tank are a 3" Naso tang, a 2.5" foxface, 2 clowns, a diamond and watchman goby, a cleaner shrimp, and several different snails. I do not have any corals yet, but do plan to.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a coral beauty in this tank, it's camera shy
20231109_182130.jpg

And a flame angel in this one. They have both been model citizens. But theres never a guarantee and each fish can behave differently.
20231124_123739.jpg

EDIT: In addition to the coral beauty in the first tank I have a clarkii clown, a yellow banded possum wrasse, a blue / green chromis and 3 shrimp. In the second tank in addition to the flame angel I have a copper band, yellow tang, 2 spot bristle tooth tang, six line wrasse and two spot blenny. The angel will give a half hearted chase after the blenny once in a while but nothing concerning.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a coral beauty in this tank, it's camera shy
20231109_182130.jpg

And a flame angel in this one. They have both been model citizens. But theres never a guarantee and each fish can behave differently.
20231124_123739.jpg
yeah, I definitely know it is either hit or miss. I have heard it has a lot to do with proper feeding. I am leaning towards a flame.

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep lots of angels in a reef, but my tank is a bit bigger than yours. But when I had a 125high I had flames, Flamebacks, Cherubs, Multicolor and Goldens without any issues.

Alot depends on the particular fish. I've kept flames for almost 40 years thru several different tanks and only 1 time did I have 1 that misbehaved and had to be rehomed.

Alot also depends on the tank. If you have a new tank with just a few small corals or frags in it, then an angel - who does naturally pick when they hunt for food may appear to be doing damage. Or at the least cause you to worry. But in a mature reef aquarium with lots and lots of healthy corals, the angels move from coral to coral looking for things to eat, not the coral itself. They don't focus an munch on just one coral.

Dave B

VO6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say it depends on the fish. Some people are able to keep them with corals without any picking but then there are others who don’t have the same experience.

I have a multibar angel in my reef and he’s definitely a picker. He picks mostly @ my small acan colony and my purple stylo colony but he doesn’t cause much damage. It’s just the fishes natural behavior, so I don’t mind.

IMG_5465.jpeg

RJT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had flames and beauties in a mixed reef with no issues. I do feed 2-4 times a day. Always in the morning with first light and before lights go out.

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I would never trust ANY angel (full size or dwarf) in a reef tank. Having said that, if you have mainly SPS or softies, you may be able to get away with it. IME dwarf angels tend to nip at SPS polyps, which limits polyp extension but does not kill the coral. They do however mow down fleshy LPS corals like Acans, and can nip pretty aggressively at Acanthophyllia and Scolys, which are my fav corals. That's why I only keep angels in my FOWLR.

I suppose it depends upon your risk tolerance, and what you'll choose to do if you have to get rid of one or the other (the dwarf angels or the corals they're nibbling on).

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lemon peel is an infamous coral eater. The flame and coral beauty are decent bets.

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a lemonpeel angel and he has zero interest in any of my softies or LPS. I will add that he was introduced to the tank a month or two before I had any corals, so it's possible that he became accustomed to not nipping at corals for food. I also feed well. It's possible that he'll change his mind if I were to change and feed less.

Natural_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow ! Beautiful tank! What size is your Naso Tang? He is amazing. What size tank also?
Thank you!
I think he is about 4.5". Unfortunately my tank is only 100gal (Redsea S400) so he will soon going to buddy's 180gal tank. Unless I could convince my wife to let me have larger tank

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!
I think he is about 4.5". Unfortunately my tank is only 100gal (Redsea S400) so he will soon going to buddy's 180gal tank. Unless I could convince my wife to let me have larger tank
LOL, yeah I know what you mean, I have one that is about 3" in my 90 gallon. I know that I will be rehoming him in a year or 2 :confounded-face: I know I can not have a larger tank.

Natural_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, yeah I know what you mean, I have one that is about 3" in my 90 gallon. I know that I will be rehoming him in a year or 2 :confounded-face: I know I can not have a larger tank.
One of the kids favorite fish. They actually named her "Big Mama with Lipstick" My main issue with a larger tank is the wife doesn't like Blue Light where the tank will be

kenlonneal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the kids favorite fish. They actually named her "Big Mama with Lipstick" My main issue with a larger tank is the wife doesn't like Blue Light where the tank will be
Is her problem the lights or out spill of blue if it’s the out spill try looking at Reefi lab lights

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20231105_192759.jpg

I have a coral beauty in here.
20231121_101856.jpg

And he's also been with all of these.
Doesn't touch anything.
Also doesn't like other fish either.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back