Anyone replaced Red Sea Reefer plumbing with standard?

Zonian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm new here and am considering getting a Red Sea Reefer 525 XL as my first reef tank. One of my concerns is the metric plumbing the tank comes with. I know several folks have replaced most of the plumbing with standard fittings and pipes but it seems they have retained the original o-ring quick disconnects. Has anyone replaced all the plumbing (including plumbing within the tank and overflow) with standard plumbing? Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
Zonian

Zonian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the "show off your reefer thread" https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/219309/ or @Broadfield s build thread. Many have converted to standard. Broad field has the list of parts for his manifold listed, many times, on both of those threads
cmcoker,
I've read Broadfield's thread but don't believe he has switched the down pipes and return piping within the overflow himself. I think he still uses the Red Sea o-ring quick disconnect, and has described using 15 spins of teflon tape on the standard piping to sort of fit into the Red Sea metric fitting. I'd be interested in replacing all the metric down pipes and return (if possible) with standard pipes and fittings. My reasoning is to end up with a completely standard plumbed tank to make replacement of parts easier.

sithrico

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the RedSea pipes from the return to the overflow are Red Sea OEM. From the bottom down every one orders two extra return OEM threadings and then a 3/4 threaded to slip fitting to start going to standard plumbing. Once the Red Sea plumbing is in the tank it's recommended monot to remove. If you take everything out I suppose you could start everything from bulk heads to plumbing with standard. You would have to remove that plastic that is glued to the glass.

OP
OP
Zonian

Zonian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True that, and that's probably why I won't get one. I want a standard manifold and am uncomfortable trying to jerry rig a connection to their rerun piping. I think Red Sea should make US market tanks standard plumbing. Jaguar and other British car makers export proper left driver cars to the US. Just my two cents.

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True that, and that's probably why I won't get one. I want a standard manifold and am uncomfortable trying to jerry rig a connection to their rerun piping. I think Red Sea should make US market tanks standard plumbing. Jaguar and other British car makers export proper left driver cars to the US. Just my two cents.

Yes, but all the threads will be metric :) not sure if your cars still use UNF and UNC threads?

EJReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just run hard PVC from return pump and terminate at the red sea return fitting with soft tubing

EJReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just run PVC from the return pump and terminate to the red sea connection with soft tubing

incloud design

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Y0u just need a slip to threaded adapter. Note: the Red Sea fitting is metric, so you will simply use extra Teflon tape on the threads. This will ensure you get a good seal.

http://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/836-007-3-4-schedule-80-pvc-male-adaptor.html

male_80_1.jpg

Check out the "show off your reefer thread" https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/219309/ or @Broadfield s build thread, https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/211616/ . Many have converted to standard. Broad field has the list of parts for his manifold listed, many times, on both of those threads

Would you happen to know which post out of the 1307 available?

incloud design

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I'll check it out. Actually, I think I have it solved but now two downpipes are leaking from where they come through the tank. I filled the overflow just to test and there's a slow leak from return and emergency drain. I'd never buy Red Sea again, 6 months now and still haven't gotten the tank up. Problem after problem in my experience.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I'll check it out. Actually, I think I have it solved but now two downpipes are leaking from where they come through the tank. I filled the overflow just to test and there's a slow leak from return and emergency drain. I'd never buy Red Sea again, 6 months now and still haven't gotten the tank up. Problem after problem in my experience.

Sorry your having troubles, I believe some had issues with the pipes cracking around the threads if over tightened.

I worried with the hard plumbing the pipes would crack at the threads if I bumped it since I'm a bit of a klutz. So I stuck with the stock plumbing, even though the valve gets on my nerves a bit, lol. My risk aversion is high though...

To be fair, arent you trying to convert the red sea to run off your other tank to a common sump? Is the problem customizing it or running it as intended? I think it's a good product for how it's intended to be run. I've had issues with mine but Red Sea has always been very helpful.

incloud design

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry your having troubles, I believe some had issues with the pipes cracking around the threads if over tightened.

I worried with the hard plumbing the pipes would crack at the threads if I bumped it since I'm a bit of a klutz. So I stuck with the stock plumbing, even though the valve gets on my nerves a bit, lol. My risk aversion is high though...

To be fair, arent you trying to convert the red sea to run off your other tank to a common sump? Is the problem customizing it or running it as intended? I think it's a good product for how it's intended to be run. I've had issues with mine but Red Sea has always been very helpful.

I am trying to integrate the 450 into my existing system which has been somewhat challenging but now I'm directly at the tank with their plumbing that's causing me problems. The downpipes I'm using are brand new replacements from Red Sea. Like you said, I'm also not very convinced that a slight nudge will cause a leak. It just seems like a very poor design. The tank and stand are gorgeous but the plumbing solution just seems cheesy and not very reliable. Oh well, I'm sure like many I'll find a way to get it to work. But I shouldn't have to is my point.

becon776

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I juset don't understand why people dont order the metric parts... science guy here and using imperial ANYTHING in my class will result in a point loss. lol. I know the standard plumbing is easier to get but if your ordering pretty colors its the same PITA to order metric. you can't run to home depot and pick up indigo blue 3/4" pipe.
My question is what is the metric sizes on the plumbing. Also check out the new RSR 900 . they have stopped having the return on left and drains on right. The drains are plumbed way over to the left had side. IMO this is a good example of plumbing an aftermarket sump. (they still didn't get rid of the PITA valve though)

becon776

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I join the LONG LINE of people who do not feel filled with confidence about the plumbing solution for red sea. COMMON @redsea MAKE US A RETROFIT!!!! even better if its a whole downpipe replacement that brings us to 1" or how about just a a connection to go on the bottom side that brings us to imperial!!! Such a dissappointment.

Last edited by a moderator:

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about to start fitting a remote sump to a Reefer 300XL and I have to say not being able to source any parts to make this possible is really annoying. I fully understand Red Sea are selling a product that is not intended to be changed but seriously...

NCK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t understand the problem. Why can’t you plumb your sump with standard, English pvc, then use a single adapter to go back to metric in the return line, leaving the OEM RS plumbing alone?

The metric plumbing can be annoying at times, but I’ve never had a compatibility issue I couldn’t overcome with an adapter.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 29.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back