Anyone replaced Red Sea Reefer plumbing with standard?

Rudzbrewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I transitioned from RS to standard plumbing using RS part 42221 and the 3/4 thread to 1” slip adapter so that it was still possible to revert back or remove to clean. It does not feel sketchy at all and is really an easy adaptation. I plumbed a Clarissa and 3 valve manifold as well. Details are all in my build thread. I wouldn’t hesitate to do it this way at all as many seem to be successful doing it. If you star replacing all overflow pipes you’re messing with the seals and probably creating more headache than any benefit in my opinion of the project. It only took about 7 spins of Teflon tape for the adaptation and you’d really never know it. Very happy with the end result. Happy to answer any questions.

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plan was to do all of my own plumbing leaving the original pipework completely unchanged, put it into storage for when the inevitable upgrade comes and I want to sell it as a standard Reefer.

Rudzbrewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's how my completed plumbing conversion turned out:

A821754E-A07E-4CD3-ABF8-F91719EA4A8D.jpg
229ECF3A-CDD1-4E0C-8029-3E1FCFC473B4.jpg

Rudzbrewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
VERY nice! Love it. I have just ordered 3 x R42221 sockets and will give it a try. I really don't want to go cutting the original pipework.

I didn’t cut, damage, or change a single stock piece that I couldn’t revert back to the original plumbing. If you have any questions on it please feel free to contact me. I tried to document how I did it in the build thread, but happy to help.

Gonzo74

Nibbling on sponge cake...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm new here and am considering getting a Red Sea Reefer 525 XL as my first reef tank. One of my concerns is the metric plumbing the tank comes with. I know several folks have replaced most of the plumbing with standard fittings and pipes but it seems they have retained the original o-ring quick disconnects. Has anyone replaced all the plumbing (including plumbing within the tank and overflow) with standard plumbing? Thanks in advance.
Yes, I did. BRS sells the metric to standard conversations.

Gonzo74

Nibbling on sponge cake...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is your easy fix. This is what I used.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back